The Amazing Spider-Man #670

#1 Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

J Jonah Jameson is a treat to read in this issue, that's something I rarely say. Having him and Spider-Man team up as a dynamic duo (and Peter expressing a "quip overload") was the highlight of the book. Jameson's urge for action almost echoes my own statements, as you'll see below.

The Bad

Again, i have a problem with this story's tendency to switch viewpoints a lot. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but half these subjects already have tie-ins of their own. I mean, unless you've been reading Venom, you have no idea what's going on with Flash Thompson being in disguise. This is furthered by the fact that Thompson doesn't really do much in the grand scheme of this issue; his appearance wasn't really necessary.

The ending was a little bit angering, as it stretched out a revalation over a couple pages, only to brutally kill it off. I think it's unfair to tease a major plot point, only to wrestle it away from readers once they've gotten excited. That's just bad form.

The Verdict

It's kind of pessimistic to say that Spider Island's tie-ins have been better than its main series, but it's true. The viewpoint has jumped around so much that I've had a hard time caring over any one person's story. Peter hasn't exactly done much in the last two issues besides react to spider mutations: isn't he supposed to be the main character?

If you ask me, that's kind of a problem. I'm not saying that stories all need to have the same pace, but when we're at part four, things shouldn't be still in the "setup" stages.

---

Like what I have to say and want to read more? Want to yell at me about comics, the Internet and whatever else? Follow me on my Twitter or my personal Tumblr!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.