n0va's The Amazing Spider-Man #667 - Spider-Island Part One: The Amazing Spider-Manhattan review

• n0va wrote this review on .
  • n0va has written a total of 4 reviews. The last one was for

The first issue of ASM I enjoyed.

I have only read a couple random issues of The Amazing Spider-Man, but this was the best one I've read.

The city has been infested with genetically altered bed bugs that are giving citizens spider-powers. Jackal organized a team of spider-powered thugs to wreak havoc around the city. And Peter is trying to get to his girlfriend Carlie (who now has spider-powers) before she gets killed trying to be the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Cop."

The Good

" Power may be an abundant resource on Spider-Island, but responsibility is the rarest of commodities."

I really liked the interaction between Peter and Carlie. Carlie still doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man so now she is treating him like a helpless civilian while she goes out to try and save the city, which is ironic. Also, I thought it was good that the New Avengers and other teams were brought in to help fight the spider-thugs because if it was just Peter that had to fight them off, I would have felt bad for the poor guy and lets face it, he wouldn't be able to beat them all. Finally, even though the action panels were a little hard to follow, it got across the point that chaos is taking over the city.

The Bad

There was two things about this issue I didn't like.
1. The way Jackal talked to all the gang members and thugs like they were in a class and he was the teacher. He just came off as being kinda cocky and it was annoying. I guess cockiness is a characteristic of many villains anyway so its not that big of a deal.
2. All of the thugs in "Jackal's Crime Syndicate" were wearing various versions of Spider-Man's costume. (The original costume, the FF costume, Iron Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, etc.) I wish they had original team costumes or something to wear.

Verdict

This is the first part of Spider-Island and it was well done.  Nothing felt rushed or drawn out which is always good and as long as they keep that up I think I will enjoy the rest of this arc. I liked the art that was in the Spider-Island Prelude better, but this issue still looks very nice. I will definitely be picking up part 2.

Other reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man #667 - Spider-Island Part One: The Amazing Spider-Manhattan

YES! Spider Island begins and it's great!! 0

I think Dan Slott is becoming one of the all-time great Spider-Man writers, if he wasn't already. This new event that begins here has the potential to be one of the all time great Spidey arcs. I think it's that good. I'm a big fan of Humberto Ramos' art, and it has undeniable energy and life. The way his pencils carry this issue as it kicks off Spider-Island: it's just perfect. Dynamic action, hilarious facial expressions, this issue has it all. Keep it up, guys!...