sqreview's The Amazing Spider-Man #666 - Spider-Island Prologue: The One And Only review

• sqreview wrote this review on .
  • sqreview has written a total of 148 reviews. The last one was for

A Sticky Situation

Spider-Man has been insanely busy recently, what with being on multiple superhero teams, patrolling on his own, working at Horizon Labs, and trying to have a relationship with his girlfriend. But the Jackal has something more troublesome up his furry sleeve for Peter Parker than a conflicting schedule. An outbreak of bedbugs have been biting citizens of New York City and giving them spider powers, and Jackal plans to use them to web the city into his control. After training in the Way of the Spider martial arts and finally mastering his new skills, does Peter have what it takes to take on a legion of himself?

Written by Dan Slott and drawn by Steffano Caselli, this issue of The Amazing Spider-Man was one of the best I've read in a while. Even though it's leading into an event series it still rings true to what the modern Spider-Man is all about -- being there for people. His determination to help anyone in need and be there when it counts shines brightly through this issue, and I'm pumped to see where it takes us with the rest of the event.

The artwork by Caselli is wonderful. He draws Spider-Man the way I would picture him in real life. His use of line and laying out panels gives it a realistic but still comic book vibe that really plays well on the characters in this series.

For an issue that's numbered 666, I can't say too many great things about it. I never thought I'd be actually excited about a Marvel event, but Slott has convinced me that I can be. It also helps that this issue paves the way for all the crossing titles that will be dealing with the outbreak of Spider-People in the near future, instead of just dumping it on all of the other characters like it's no big deal.