zack_freeman's The Amazing Spider-Man #644 - Origin of the Species, Part 3 review

• zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Amazing Spider-Man #644

Spidey's hopeless race to save Norman Osborn's bastard baby escalates as Vulture, Vermin, Rhino, Mysterio and the Chameleon join the gauntlet of villains.

The Good

Good lord, does Waid know how to play on expectations. I was genuinely surprised by the introductions of Mysterio and the Chameleon, and Spidey's solution to Rhino's rampage was genuinely unpredictable. More importantly, none of them felt like cop-outs to ease the plot. Character drove the plot, not the other way around. I was hesitant about Azaceta's art in the first issue I read, but I've warmed up to his depiction of Spidey in this issue. The style of rendering really adds to the frenetic feel and the weight of every blow and set back he faces.

The Bad

The drawback of pitting Spidey against such an insurmountable odds is that, at the same time, it makes a little harder to believe that he wouldn't already be defeated. He's got his entire rogues' gallery coming after him and the entire NYPD and every nosy New Yorker with a camera phone. It might've been a lie on the Chameleon's part, but his line about everybody in NY knowing exactly where Spidey is begs the question of why he isn't already cornered.

The Verdict - 4/5

This has proven to be one of the most frenetic, fast-paced thrillers I've ever seen Spidey involved in. It's like some wonderful love child of Jackie Chan, Buster Keaton and Speed, with some serious drama and impressive physical humor to underlay the relentless action. The revelations at the end of this were just intense procession of nailbiters -- I really need to see the next issue of ASM now!