etragedy's The Amazing Spider-Man #3 - Spider-Man Versus Doctor Octopus review

The First Really Good Spider-Man Story

Part of CV's Top 100 Spider-Man Universe Stories - reviewed!

Prior to this, Spider-Man appeared in Amazing Fantasy, Fantastic Four Annual, and two previous isssues of The Amazing Spider-Man. The trouble was, he still hadn't fought a villain worth his salt. The Chameleon? The Vulture? The Tinkerer?

That changed with this issue. Instead of two short stories, we get an entire comic book length tale that introduces Spider-Man's first real challenge - Doctor Octopus. And Doc Ock really does feel like a challenge - the fight goes on for pages rather than panels like his earlier foes. Not surprisingly, Doctor Octopus has pretty much become Spider-Man's de facto arch-nemesis.

This issue is also the best so far when it comes to Steve Ditko's artwork. For the first time we see the really dynamic 'camera angles' on Spider-Man crawling up buildings and such, which have come to be trademarks of the series.

One of the best comics of the Silver Age.