etragedy's The Amazing Spider-Man #23 - The Goblin and the Gangsters review

• etragedy wrote this review on .
  • etragedy has written a total of 1094 reviews. The last one was for

A Standard Spider-Man vs. The Green Goblin Story

Even though he's considered to be the preeminent Spider-Man villain, I never much cared for the Green Goblin. For one thing, far from being scary, his big eared purple and green suit looks comical. For another, while I can accept a god-like being like the Silver Surfer maintaining balance standing on a fast moving flying object, it's a little harder to take when it's a guy in a suit standing on a rocket.

But 'The Goblin and the Gangsters' is actually one of the better early appearances of the Green Goblin, because he actually has a halfway decent plan - put the screws to an underworld kingpin, Lucky Lobo, and then take over his criminal empire.

It's still an average issue quality wise - notably marred by Spider-Man taking a break from a fight by locking himself in a room and calling Aunt May while mobsters are shooting and pounding at the door - how stupid is Aunt May, really? But mostly it's a pretty standard Spider-Man fights Green Goblin tale, with some underworld bits thrown in (The Big Man even figures into the tale).

Green Goblin fans should check it out - others can safely skip it.