etragedy's The Amazing Spider-Man #1 - Spider-Man Vs. The Chameleon review

The Fabulous Fantastic Four Meet Spider-Man

Part of CV's Top 100 Spider-Man Universe Stories - reviewed!

Found in Amazing Spider-Man #1, "The Fabulous Fantastic Four Meet Spider-Man" tells the story of how everybody's favorite web-slinger meets the World's Greatest Super Team. Unfortunately, it's kind of an inauspicious beginning. Spider-Man, intent on joining the Fantastic Four somehow thinks it's a good idea to break into the Baxter Building to show off his prowess. He does with predictable results: basically the Four attack him, and he wisecracks and evades until Mr. Fantastic puts a stop to everything and Spider-Man gets to the point. They reject him as they are a non-profit organization, and he is a wanted fugitive.

This all really happens in two pages, however it was expanded to a whopping 6 pages as a backup feature in Fantastic Four Annual #1. Neither are essential reading, but nor will they take much time if you feel you must.

For Amazing Spider-Man #1, this wraparound was tacked onto a story about Spider-Man fighting a villain called The Chameleon who wanted to frame him for stealing secret missile plans. In the expanded form, it makes for more of a real story, but still kind of a flat one - and one in which Spider-Man seems to have much more heighten senses than his later issues indicate, and a penchant for such things as web parachutes and slingshot-ing himself with his webs.

Really not as strong as the nostalgia that surrounds it.