Follow

The Adventures of Tintin

Movie » The Adventures of Tintin released on December 23, 2011.

Also known as 'The Adventures of Tintin:The Secret of the Unicorn.' A 2011 animated film based on the Tintin comic books, combining three of the kid reporter's adventures into one film directed by Steven Spielberg.

Gambit Goes to the Movies: The Adventures of Tintin

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By Gambit1024
    Great snakes! “- The Adventures of Tintin
    The Adventures of AWESOME!
    The Adventures of AWESOME!

I’ll admit it. When I first heard the name “Tintin”, my mind automatically went to the dog with the almost exact same name. After going to google, as I usually do when I don’t know what something is, I learned that Tintin is a comic strip character. Another comic book movie? Let me in. I've got a movie to see.

The Adventures of Tintin! This is a film directed by Speilberg and produced by Peter Jackson. When you’ve got a combination like that, plus the inclusion of people like Edgar Wright, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, and Simon Pegg, you’re pretty much guaranteed an excellent movie. Did it do its job? Well, if you were aiming for a heart-pounding, full-blown adventure movie that rivals (if not surpasses) Indiana Jones or the Uncharted games, than dammit, I think you’ve achieved your goal. The Adventures of Tintin was incredible.

I didn't say it in the review, but even the opening credits are fantastic!
    I didn't say it in the review, but even the opening credits are fantastic!

The movie is about a redheaded reporter named Tintin, who in the first ten minutes of the film must solve a mystery about a sunken ship called “The Unicorn” before the villainous Rackham (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Speilberg). With him, is his dog Snowy and Captain Haddock, a somewhat loveable drunk who’s pretty much the cause of Tintin’s troubles throughout the course of the film. That’s one of the best things about this movie: You care about everyone. You got Tintin, the level-headed leader, Snowy, the dog who sometimes does a better job of solving a mystery better than his master, Haddock, the dude who’s always getting into trouble, and Rackham, who’s just a complete douche bag. You want to follow each and every one of these awesome characters because they’re all so unique and awesome in their own right.

Speilberg, is that you?
    Speilberg, is that you?

I’ll say it here and now, I’m a huge fan of this “uncanny valley” concept of animation. Seriously, all the characters and things in this movie look all too real. That just makes the film even more enjoyable to follow. With Andy Serkis, you know that chimp from Rise of the Apes last year? Golum? Yeah, he did a phenomenal performance as Haddock. His stuff is always incredible, and this movie is no exception. I will say, however that the 3D probably wasn’t needed, but it wasn’t distracting either. Pay the extra cash at your own risk.

Don't you just wanna solve a mystery with him?? ^_^
    Don't you just wanna solve a mystery with him?? ^_^

What didn’t work for me was the pacing. The first half of the movie paced incredibly fast. Then, from the middle to about ¾’s of the way through, the pacing almost comes to a screeching halt. This part wasn’t particularly interesting, as nothing much is going on, and everyone in the theater was just itching to get back in for more action. Needless to say, we got it by the end of the movie, but there was no need for that stop in the middle.

As much as that speed bump in the pacing hurt it a little, The Adventures of Tintin was fantastic. The characters were extraordinary, the animation was breathtaking, and the performances were spectacular. With an ending like that, there just has to be room for a sequel or a whole line of films from this comic strip character. If Spielberg, Jackson, Serkis, and everyone else who was involved with this movie were to return for another film, not seeing it wouldn’t even be an option. I loved this film, and I’ll give it a 9 out of 10. Go see this movie immediately.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ReVamp

I don't think that the movie was all that good to be honest. I mean I liked it and all, but I have to say that the scenery seemed quite bland and textureless in many parts of the movie and it just drew me out of the movie a bit. But yeah, its definitely a pretty good movie, I'd just give it a 7.5 personally, though I do give low reviews often.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

Movie was good.
    BB

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Kairan1979

Tintin is supposed to be main character, but he lacked depth. He is supposed to be reporter, but we don't see him interacting with newspaper editor or something (something we can expect from Clark Kent, for example).

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

@Kairan1979 said:

Tintin is supposed to be main character, but he lacked depth. He is supposed to be reporter, but we don't see him interacting with newspaper editor or something (something we can expect from Clark Kent, for example).

He hardly did any reporting in the comic so meh.
    BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Billy Batson said:

@Kairan1979 said:

He hardly did any reporting in the comic so meh.
    BB

I didn't even know he was a reporter, I thought he just solved mystery's in the cartoon for the lulz
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

@spiderbat87:

He kinda did, lol.
    BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87:

He kinda did, lol.
    BB

Fixed.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Gambit1024: The motorbike scene was awesome 
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

@spiderbat87: Yeah it was. Either that or the getaway scene on the boat is my favorite action scene

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Gambit1024 said:

@spiderbat87: Yeah it was. Either that or the getaway scene on the boat is my favorite action scene

The flash back pirate scene was cool as well 
    Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Watcherg6

I have you tried watching the old cartoons on You Tube??? It's kind of slow moving, but when you consider the time it was made, and time it is taking place in. I used to watch this cartoon on HBO when HBO was still young and new. I was Super Pumped when heard they were making this movie. Oh there is also a music video, from Sum 41's "Kick me when i'm High", it's kind of cool!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.