Thanos Returns This April

• 80 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic fans, get some confetti ready because you'll likely want to celebrate. Last week Marvel released a teaser simply stating "BIRTH." Now we have an idea what that's about. Thanos is not only coming back with his own limited series called THANOS RISING in April, but it's being written by Jason Aaron (who is currently killing it on THOR: GOD OF THUNDER) and the very talented artist Simone Bianchi.

The limited series will dive into the cosmic villain's earliest years on his home planet Titan and showcase the course of events that turned him into such a formidable foe. The timing couldn't be any better since so many people are now itching to learn more about Thanos after that mid-credit scene in The Avengers. .

Aaron shared some details about the upcoming comic with Marvel.com.

This is not a super hero story. There are no good guys swooping in to save the day here. This is the origin story of a very bad dude. A cosmic mass murderer.

Aaron also said he thinks run will stay true to Jim Starlin's original ideas for the Mad Titan while expanding on some parts of his origin, and even diving into Thanos' odd romantic history.

Thanos fans, are you psyched to see this team take a shot at the character?

Source: Marvel.com

#1 Posted by Scott757 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet!

#2 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh I so want this but my budget might not stretch.

#3 Posted by Shika1Dude (120 posts) - - Show Bio

origin story?? Hmmm I smell a reboot

#4 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4873 posts) - - Show Bio
So it wasn't Thanos Jr. (+)
#5 Posted by Ninjaduck88 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this the same as what Son of Titan would have been?

#6 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats cool for Thanos fans, but wasn't this canceled? And after he was made to be a chump in Assemble, I hope this does him justice.

#7 Edited by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even require an explanation. Thank you for sharing.

- Also, Marvel, please stop putting that damn ugly red banner on the books which takes away from the art form. It's ridiculous and I don't give two bits over what ridiculous overhaul you're going through to make money. Just make good stories and combine it with great art - voila. It's not like you needed them in the 60's-80's.

#8 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

Heads up buddy this new mini series might begin the process of redemption for Thanos after Bendis ruined him.

#9 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger:

I sure hope so. Bendis was so incompetent.

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6521 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. Not sure I can afford to add this to my list, what with Age Of Ultron happening at the same time. I'll think about it. Thanks for letting us know. :)

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (15085 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna buy it!

#12 Posted by impossibilly (892 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet! This is what I hoped it would be when the BIRTH teaser was released!

Aaron + Bianchi doing Thanos: Year One? Just take my money now.

#13 Posted by Mucklefluga (2609 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56 said:

- Also, Marvel, please stop putting that damn ugly red banner on the books which takes away from the art form. It's ridiculous and I don't give two bits over what ridiculous overhaul you're going through to make money. Just make good stories and combine it with great art - voila. It's not like you needed them in the 60's-80's.

Yes! Those damn banners ruin the covers!

#14 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel produces way too many spin off titles for characters that don't deserve them.

#15 Posted by Loki9876 (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#16 Posted by CRTrobinson (272 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who hates Simone Binachi's work? I literally can't stand his art!

#17 Posted by __transgojobot__ (46 posts) - - Show Bio

::sigh:: We're not even a month into 2013 and 'rise' has twice reared its silly head again. First the new Ghost in the Shell animation, and now this title.

#18 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

@FoxxFireArt:

I don't see why Thanos doesn't deserve one. At his best, he is one of the coolest Marvel villains. Granted, at his worst, he can be pretty lousy.

#19 Posted by dondave (38810 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, definitely buying this

#20 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Love thanos, should be fun

#21 Posted by neiliusprime (255 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos origin stories? I'm down!

#22 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

That cover is more than epic.

#23 Posted by judasnixon (6970 posts) - - Show Bio

If he is half as cool as one armed, one eyed, crazy, old man Thor. I might have to check it out.

#24 Posted by kid Apollo (717 posts) - - Show Bio

wow thanos origin story, ill pick it up for sure

#25 Edited by wmwadeii (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

I see over the course of the next 2 years a lot of stories like this. Also more involving the Gaurdians. Gotta get everything and everyone familiar with the events leading up to Avengers 2

@Grey56 said:

I don't mind it for an issue or two. I hate what DC does more when they are just placing adds at the top of their comics (save Africa, Arrow, Dark Knight, etc). Marvel does a better job of this by just changing their logo on the cover. Maybe they can just create a new Marvel NOW logo similar to how DC has The New 52 just as an add-on to the cover title.

#26 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Heads up buddy this new mini series might begin the process of redemption for Thanos after Bendis ruined him.

haha I am gonna read the sh*t out of it, again again if it does.

If Thanos is actually redeemed i am gonna get 5 copies of the whole series, its my promise to the writer :)

#27 Edited by movieartman (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

@CRTrobinson: @CRTrobinson said:

Am I the only one who hates Simone Binachi's work? I literally can't stand his art!

WHAT is possibly bad about thease

#28 Posted by laflux (17551 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@Lvenger said:

haha I am gonna read the sh*t out of it, again again if it does.

If Thanos is actually redeemed i am gonna get 5 copies of the whole series, its my promise to the writer :)

Gah- its my job to alert Killemall to things like these.

Consider yourself warned >.<

#29 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux:

#30 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

<3

#31 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4016 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#32 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Dammit Marvel! I was finally starting to narrow down my pull list but you keep teasing more series that I want!

#33 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

Has his origin not been told?

#34 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey:

It has, but never in great detail.

#35 Posted by jloneblackheart (5557 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey: It's been told, but never played out. Brief stories. There is plenty to elaborate on.

#36 Posted by ClintsEvilTwin (76 posts) - - Show Bio

@CRTrobinson said:

I think you are

@G_Money_Christmas said:

Dammit Marvel! I was finally starting to narrow down my pull list but you keep teasing more series that I want!

Exactly

#37 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9251 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes sense that this is a limited series

#38 Posted by nappystr8 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh, I was really hoping for Thanos Jr., that would have been super trippy. Oh well this still looks solid, and Jason Aaron has grown on me hugely. If this is a limited series I will probably pick it up. And besides, if its an origin that means Starfox will show up. I love that dude.

#39 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

Gah- its my job to alert Killemall to things like these.

Consider yourself warned >.<

Also Marvel writer could we please get a back story on Reality - 9047 crazy a$$ Thermos :p he was badass, even manage to beat Tom Defalco's avatar on panel :p

Say what you will Thermos was a badass :)

#40 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Surfer and Adam Warlock are soon to follow.

#41 Posted by Arevish (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Aaron and Simone Bianchi.

Do you REALLY need more informations?

#42 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2237 posts) - - Show Bio

YES *insert M. Bison gif*

#43 Edited by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

:D

#44 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5616 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm there

#45 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

Prepare for Thanos overload in prep for Avengers 2 in 3...2...1...

#46 Posted by deadpool25mm (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally ! Thanos!

#47 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

Richard Rider Nova better be coming back this April too dammit

#48 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

3.99 0f course~

#49 Posted by DaltonMunnal (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the cover, minus the obnoxious Marvel Now crap.

#50 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

This is not a super hero story. There are no good guys swooping in to save the day here. This is the origin story of a very bad dude. A cosmic mass murderer.

SOLD!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.