Thanos Chronology Fights

• 68 results
#1 Edited by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

After having a discussion with few of my mates in battle forum, i was given this idea that if i feel i know a lot about a character why not make a thread that shows all his battles.

So the purpose of this thread is to show what Thanos is capable of and what he can do without powerups like IG, HOTU, cosmic cube etc.

So first his chronological fights.

01. Fights Classic Drax The Destroyer, a planet is destroyed in process and Drax is soundly defeated. (Iron Man Volume 1, Issue 55)

02. One Shots Thing (Captain Marvel, Volume 1 Issue 26)

03. Fights Adam Magus evenly, but no one wins. (Warlock Volume 1, Issue 11)

04 Beat The Avengers (Marvel Two In One, Annual 002)

05. One Shots Thing, again, (Marvel Two In One, Annual 002)

06. Holds his own against the Avengers but sadly is turned into stone after Warlock enter the battle (Marvel Two In One, Annual 002)

07. Fights and easily beats Drax The Destroyer (Logan's Run Issue 96)

08. Thanos comes to earth, fights Spiderman and later caught by NYPD LOL (Spidey Super Stories Issue 39)

Special Thanks to ShootingNova and laflux for helping me out.

#2 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

09. Fight with Elders of the Universe, whom he humbles one after another (Thanos Quest 1 and 2)

a. Thanos Quest 1.

Damn the 70 scan limit, will have to wait for someone to comment on this thread to continue with his fights.

[If anyone checks this thread, and post could you reply to me so i could continue to post scans, i have just reached folder 9 while the total folders i wanna upload is 39 =( ]

#3 Posted by ShootingNova (13344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: LOL, very nice. Keep up the good work!

#4 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@Killemall: LOL, very nice. Keep up the good work!

Thanks man appreciated, i'll give you a buzz when i get stuck again =) Just taking a leaf from Bane's book on my fav character.

Lets continue.

b. Thanos Quest 02

10. Friendly Spar with Gamora (Warlock And Infinity Watch, Volume 1 Issue 08)

11. Fought Death Minions all cannon fodders though (Marvel Comics Presents 109)

And that reaches the 70 scan limit, will continue from next post.

#5 Posted by ShootingNova (13344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: LOL, yeah. No problem.

#6 Posted by laflux (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

continue I'm enjoying this

#7 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

12. Fights a bunch of Heroes to no conclusion (The Infinity Wars 04)

13. Fought and beat an alternate reality Thanos

14. Fights Thor with Power Gem (do note that initially it was stated that Thor was suffering from Warrior Madness however the idea was refuted when Odin later reveals it was only a normal madness and not warrior madness and therefore is able to cure him, while warrior madness is incurable. Although that being said Thor in Blood and Thunder did beat Beta Ray Bill, Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock together with little problem and each of them individually are on the same level as Thor himself and both Beta Ray Bill (twice) and Silver Surfer (three times) have beaten Thor before) - Silver Surfer Volume 3, Issue 88

And just like that the 70 scan limit is reached, will continue :)

#8 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@Killemall said:

Thank you, just give me a hand by posting in this thread so i can continue uploading the scan :) and remind me to put up a thanks for you and ShootingNova for helping me out with this :)

15. Fights a bunch of Asgardians and Odin - Warlock and Infinity Watch Volume 1, Issue 25

16. Fights Superskrull (sometimes you feel bad for this guy ) - Secret Defenders 12

17. Fights and kills Avin Mercenary Army who sadly didnt even prove to be a challenge for Thanos - Cosmic Powers, Volume 1, Issue 01

Just like that 70 scan limit is reached, will continue once someone posts.

#9 Posted by laflux (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: continue I'm enjoying this

#10 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@Killemall: continue I'm enjoying this

Thank you much appreciated, it sucks i get stuck again and again :) .

Ok back to Thanos,

18. Fought and beat Jack Of Heart, along with the chick he had hots for - Cosmic Powers , Volume 1, Issue 03

19. Fighting Starfox guards (cannon fodders) but was interesting to see him choose not to kill Quasar because he values his word above all else. Quasar Volume 1, Issue 59

20. Fights Morg - Cosmic Powers, Volume 1, Issue 05

21. Fights Tyrant (a fight he could never hope to win) - Cosmic Powers Volume 1 , Issue 06

and there i go, 70 scans limit. will continue in the next post.

#11 Posted by laflux (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall:

@laflux said:

@Killemall said:

cause quoting myself is so fun. Concerning the fight with tyrant did the orb he used amp his strength only, or did it boost his all round stats?

#12 Edited by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

22. Beat Silver Surfer to near death, teleports him to death lair, fights a bunch of Death's lackeys, teleports back and let the Silver Surfer go away coz Thanos is a gentleman :p - Cosmic Power Unlimited 01

23. Fought and beat Terrax, and fought and stalemated Parallax (Thanos had powers of OA while Parallax had well parallax powers and powers of silver surfer) - NON CANNON - Green Lantern and Silver Surfer - Unholy Alliance

#13 Posted by laflux (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

continue :-)

#14 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

24. Fight Walker (The Death God, who was stated to be capable of Destroying Galaxies, not sure if he has actually done so) along with Captain Marvel (Genis Vell) and Thor - Captain Marvel Volume 3, Issue 17

25. fights and kills various version of Mantis - Avengers Celestial Quest 01

26. Fights and defeats Eros, to quote Thanos "where is you vaunted speed now?" LOL. Avengers Celestial Quest 04

27. Fights and beats Mantis after she has absorbed all her other counterparts - Avengers Celestial Quest 007

28. Fights and kills ROT an abstract level being, the son of Lady Death and Thanos, and the full blast from thanos apparently "Makes the universe scream"

#15 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

29. Fights Galactus a fight he could never have hoped to win (Thanos volume 1, Issue 05)

30. Fights Cosmos a being with infinite powers, first he gets knocked out because he wasnt expecting her to attack, second he wins, mindrapes her and traps cosmos into her own human form.

Thanos 09

Thanos 10

31. Fought the Fallen One (apparently Galactus first herald after Tyrant) mind controlled him and made him his herald - Thanos 12

32. Fights and defeats Moondragon who's already damaged, but gets killed by Drax when he's trying to be a good guy and free Galactus, morals of the story if you are a top villain dont try to be a good guy. - Annihilation 04

will continue after someone else comments

#16 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (6413 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Great scans.

#17 Posted by laflux (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome scans post some more

#18 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

Thank you, and great timing, i was waiting for someone to comment so i can continue posting more scans :)

33. Fought Pet Avengers (a bunch of cat, dogs and frogs) who had IG and was finally defeated - Lockjaw and pet Avengers 04

34. Fought Guardians of the Galaxy and was KOed after being hit by a cosmic cube - Guardians of the Galaxy 25 - Thanos Imperative Saga

#19 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

35. A very short fight with Lord Mar Vell a being who single handedly beat Adam Warlock, Nova Prime and Surfer (in fact he one shotted him) and Thanos was easily getting the better of him before he asked to be killed (plot for the whole arc) - Thanos Imperative 05

36. Not sure where it lies in the chronology, but here Thanos fights and loses to Squirrel girl off panel - Great Lakes X-mas Special

Thats all i got (not sure if there are any more, will wait for Thanos to actually fight in Avengers Assemble ongoing series, and will post that too)

#20 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (6413 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep it moving.

#21 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

Keep it moving.

thats all i have got, i frankly dont think the has any more fights without power ups.

I am getting his chronology DVD tomorrow, will check to see if i have missed any fights.

#22 Posted by Jayfournines (4024 posts) - - Show Bio

-Keeps it alive!-

#23 Posted by blur99 (369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

09. Fight with Elders of the Universe, whom he humbles one after another (Thanos Quest 1 and 2)

a. Thanos Quest 1.

Damn the 70 scan limit, will have to wait for someone to comment on this thread to continue with his fights.

[If anyone checks this thread, and post could you reply to me so i could continue to post scans, i have just reached folder 9 while the total folders i wanna upload is 39 =( ]

Thanos Quest was badly written. He shouldn't have mopped the floor with the Elders.

For example Champion is one of the greatest warriors ever and Thanos toys with him.

#24 Posted by Strafe Prower (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Very nicely done sir!

#25 Posted by chaos-soul (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

this is pretty great i think I'm going to do one of these for the darkness one day, as of now, sadly i don't have the time

#26 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@blur99 said:

Thanos Quest was badly written. He shouldn't have mopped the floor with the Elders.

For example Champion is one of the greatest warriors ever and Thanos toys with him.

I dont understand why it should be badly written. The whole point of Thanos Quest was to show that when it comes to planning and execution there is perhaps no one as smart as Thanos.

Champion isnt the greatest warrior ever, he has lost to She Hulk, Silver Surfer and got stomped by Drax after he lost his power gem. Now when you have a gem that makes you virtually indestructible and increases your strength every time with anger you dont need to be a great warrior to remain undisputed in a fight.

#27 Edited by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@Killemall: Very nicely done sir!

Thank you :)

Special thanks to CitizenBane for helping me fill in some additional fights of Thanos which i failed to include, here are those :)

Captain Marvel #31: At first Thanos gets blitzed by Mar-Vell, but when he eventually catches hold of him he one-shots him.

Annihilation #2: Thanos one-shots Phyla-Vell and tanks a psi-bolt from Moondragon.

Guardians of the Galaxy #24: Thanos kills Phyla-Vell (at the time she was the Herald of Oblivion).

#28 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (6413 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Thanos was featured in X-Man & Hulk1998 annual.

#29 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

Great job.

#30 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

@Killemall: Thanos was featured in X-Man & Hulk1998 annual.

Thanos doesnt even appear in the issue, it was some mutant who tried looking like Thanos, but later gets his a$$ kicked by Hulk, thats not even thanos in the comics.

#31 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (6413 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Gotcha. Did't read it, but found this cover.

#32 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

@Killemall: Gotcha. Did't read it, but found this cover.

No worries man, but if you find any fights i have not covered (be it cannon or otherwise) you are welcome to update it here mate.

#33 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_ said:

Great job.

thank you :)

#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (13739 posts) - - Show Bio

Good job!

#35 Posted by Freefa11 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Just to let you know, I believe Thanos' appearance in Celestial Quest was retconned in Infinity Abyss, along with his appearances in Thor and Ka-Zar. The Squirrel Girl incident got an implied retcon in She-Hulk 13. Since you didn't include the Thor fights or Ka-zar, I assume you're leaving out Thanosi (although it looks like you're missing his fights from Infinity Abyss as well; I think his first encounter with the Surfer too, where SS blasts him to no effect).

Overall, very nice job.

#36 Posted by pooty (10356 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Long overdue and nicely done.

#37 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@Killemall: Long overdue and nicely done.

Thank you. :) I am collecting my scans for Lobo thread atm, will be able to put that up by next week. I also just got a complete chronology disk of Hercules so i should put his up next, Hercules isnt really under-rated to be honest, i feel Zeus is. Hopefully the thread can change that.

@TDK_1997 said:

Good job!

Thank you, :)

@Freefa11 said:

@Killemall: Just to let you know, I believe Thanos' appearance in Celestial Quest was retconned in Infinity Abyss, along with his appearances in Thor and Ka-Zar. The Squirrel Girl incident got an implied retcon in She-Hulk 13. Since you didn't include the Thor fights or Ka-zar, I assume you're leaving out Thanosi (although it looks like you're missing his fights from Infinity Abyss as well; I think his first encounter with the Surfer too, where SS blasts him to no effect).

Overall, very nice job.

Thank you, and firstly yes i did intentionally leave out the Thanosi part because that by no means is representative of his overall powers, specially the Ka-Zar one which was pure crap. Squirrel Girl incident i have no clue, is it She hulk volume 1, Issue 13? Coz i wanna get the issue and post that is has been retconned for everyone to see.

Infinity Abyss was Thanos vs Thanosi Omega right? Will get it up by next week coz i need to go find the series (i probably already deleted it).

Tanks surfer blast at full power with no harm at all (Silver Surfer V3, 35) posted the second page too because he confirms he used a full powered blast.

Do let me know if i have missed anything else.

#38 Edited by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos's claim on telepathy

(The reason i am putting this up is because this is one of Thanos's abilities that i have seen being questioned a lot in the battle forum, i have seen people post stuffs like Thanos has only used TP once, so its a one time thing and so on and so forth, so i felt i could clearify this). Thanos has multiple counts a telepathy, hope people can see this and use in battle forum in future.

1. Mindrapes Drax The Destroyer (Captain Marvel Volume 1, Issue 28) - note that classic Drax did have some telepatic powers, he was able to telepathically talk to Captain Marvel and Iron Man, however i do not believe he has actually shown the ability to use it offensively.

2. A TP battle with Moondragon which Thanos wins, and give the fact that Moondragon is one of the most proficient telepath (she did not have mind gem here) it speaks volumes about Thanos telepathic abilities. - Captain Marvel, Volume 1, Issue 31

3. Read Gamora's Mind - Warlock and Infinity Watch, Volume 1, Issue 41

04. Mindraped a priest (i do not think his name was ever reveled - Avengers Celestial Quest - 02

(two of these are going to be a copy paste, of what i have posted above)

05. Fights and beats Kosmos (Beyonder/ The Maker) and mind rapes her (traps her limitless powers in her own human body)

06. Fought the Fallen One (apparently Galactus first herald after Tyrant) mind controlled him and made him his herald - Thanos 12

07. Mind controls hulk and makes him fight the Avengers

08. Thanos was able to telepathically make Gamora invisible/ undetectable to Adam Magus.

#39 Edited by Freefa11 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: She Hulk v2 #13; Eros is put on trial for abusing his emotion manipulating powers, and Thanos is called in as a character witness, claiming it is Eros who instilled in Thanos his love for Death and is therefore responsible for everything he's done. Actually a fun story, though very tongue-in-cheek (She Hulk is also personally visited by the Living Tribunal; clearly, the author doesn't take things too seriously).

In Infinity Abyss, I believe Thanos one-shots one of his clones. Not necessarily a high-showing, but still a non-amped combat feat.

:Edit:

Okay, here's what I've found. Not sure if all of these are what you're looking for, but they caught my eye.

Captain Marvel 26: forces Marvel to switch with Rick Jones, then teleports them all

Captain Marvel 31: One-shots Eros and Iron Man, takes down Drax with a kind of guided energy attack (only time I've seen him use this

Avengers Annual 7: Takes out Adam Warlock. Fights Thor to no conclusion, teleports away

Silver Surfer 98: BFRs Champion

Spider-Man Team Up 2: BFRs Silver Surfer and Spiderman.

Captain Marvel v3 17: Blocks Thor's Hammer; later tanks a shot from Genis with no effect

Infinity Abyss 4: One-shots a Thanosi

Also, here's the page in Infinity Abyss 3 that retcons Thanos' appearances in Ka-Zar, Thor, and apparently Celestial Quest

And this is the relevant pages from She-Hulk v2 13

#40 Posted by Freefa11 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Also, while I hope this isn't too off-topic, there is an interview with Mark Waid regarding Thanos' appearance in Ka-Zar that says it was never originally supposed to be Thanos at all, but Korvac, but apparently editorial told them they couldn't use Korvac due to him appearing in something else. I've seen basically the same explanation elsewhere, but couldn't find the original article I read, just this one

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/12/12/mark-waid-chat-transcript/

Brian Cronin: “Did Avengers Forever cause you to replace Kang with Korvac in your Cap run?”
Mark Waid: HA!
Mark Waid: No. Confluence of rumor.
Brian Cronin: Oh?
Mark Waid: Wait. I misspeak. Hang on…lemme go look.
Mark Waid: Here’s what I was thinking of. The Ka-Zar debacle was first by a nose. I think we acquitted ourselves quite well with the Ka-Zar/Thanos battle, but that was never supposed to have been Thanos. I THINK that was supposed to be Korvac.
Mark Waid: And then, later, Kang was going to be in Cap, and Avengers Forever (I THINK) had us shifting out plan around and yanking Korvac BACK because it turned out there was no reason to have taken him out of Ka-Zar at all.
Brian Cronin: Wait a sec – so Avengers Forever WAS the reason you pulled Kang?
Brian Cronin: I mean, why was Korvac not used in Ka-Zar?
Mark Waid: No. Forever came much later. Remember, that run of Cap relaunched simultaneously with Kurt and Perez’s Avengers. Kurt just asked for dibs on Kang after we had put him in the story, which was his right.
Brian Cronin: Okay, fine, gotcha. So it wasn’t Avengers Forever, per se, but it was Busiek’s Avengers.
Mark Waid: Korvac was allegedly being used by someone else at the time, and I regret to say that ten years later, I can’t remember who. All I do remember is that he was yanked for what turned out to be no reason.
Brian Cronin: Aha
Mark Waid: S’okay. That stuff happens all the time.
Mark Waid: And if you’re lucky, it makes for a better story. Honestly, I am still very proud of the entirety of the Ka-Zar run.
Brian Cronin: So did you catch Starlin’s “Thanos clones” explanation in one of his Infinity mini-series?
Mark Waid: Yes, yes, yes. ZZZZZZZzzzzzz. It’s really easy to say “Well, Ka-Zar fighting Thanos is STUPID!” unless you, oh, actually READ THE STORY.
Mark Waid: Because that was THE POINT OF THE STORY.
Mark Waid: But it’s easier just to be pissy and dismissive.
Brian Cronin: Yep, I have always complained about creators knocking other creators in their work.
Mark Waid: Jim and I already had it out over this in Baltimore one year and shook hands. I saw where he was coming from, he saw my point. All’s well there.
Mark Waid: But see what I’m saying? There’s nothing you can do on non-creator-owned material that can’t be undone by the next guy. And revenge is about the dumbest, least creative reason in the world to write a story.
Brian Cronin: It was a good run – it was really rough to ask Priest to follow that run, especially without Andy Kubert! Although that series later gave us some of Brian K. Vaughan’s first work
#41 Posted by whydama (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

Good Topic. Well done.

#42 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Good job bro :) Keep up the good work (y)

#43 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

This is from the new Avengers Assemble 08 where Thanos gets his hands on a fake cosmic cube and is finally defeated by Avengers + Guardians of the Galaxy + Fantastic Four + and most importantly help from the Elders of the universe , one of whom is right up there with Galactus (the Inbetweener)

Avengers Assemble 08

#44 Posted by dondave (27205 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall:These scans make Thanos seem way more powerful than Darkseid

#45 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@Killemall:These scans make Thanos seem way more powerful than Darkseid

I personally think he is, although no way more powerful. the problem with Darkseid is, if you look at him during say Legends days, or towards New World Omnibus, he was capable of one shotting superman level beings, so probably just as powerful as Thanos. Problem being Darkseid has grown weaker by the years while Thanos has gotten a boost after another. Interesting thing is, Thanos has never been knocked out by punches till date, never.

#46 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11357 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

Thank you, and great timing, i was waiting for someone to comment so i can continue posting more scans :)

33. Fought Pet Avengers (a bunch of cat, dogs and frogs) who had IG and was finally defeated - Lockjaw and pet Avengers 04

Is this cannon?

#47 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94: It has been relegated to 2022 universe rather than 616, so non canon. also certainly looked like a kid stuffs anyways.

#48 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if this counts as a fight, but Thanos recently showed up during X Factor where Pip the troll kick him in the nuts and ran away.

X Factor volume 3, Issue 248

#49 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (6413 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

Not sure if this counts as a fight, but Thanos recently showed up during X Factor where Pip the troll kick him in the nuts and ran away.

X Factor volume 3, Issue 248

More like a gag.

#50 Posted by Killemall (16983 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity: I giggled when i was reading this =)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.