Is Thanos the best villian ever, or what?!

#1 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't know of anyone who's done what he's done, killed who he's killed, gone where he's gone, and is still kicking! The biggest thing that pops into my mind is that he's had the infinity gauntlet, which he killed off half the world with! Comments, agreements, disagreements?

#2 Posted by venomjr (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah the Infinity Gauntlet story was pretty sweet.

#3 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

Inifinity Gauntlet was one of the first books I really really got into as a kid. He's a pretty awesome villian

Staff
#4 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

The Time Keeper says:

"I just don't know of anyone who's done what he's done, killed who he's killed, gone where he's gone, and is still kicking! The biggest thing that pops into my mind is that he's had the infinity gauntlet, which he killed off half the world with! Comments, agreements, disagreements?"

There's a problem with the "still kicking" part. Read Annihilation.

#5 Posted by Ebony Bishop (767 posts) - - Show Bio

ScoodleDaddle says:

"There's a problem with the "still kicking" part. Read Annihilation."

That was the sweetest freakin' moment of any comic this year. Oh, did I mention I LOVE Drax?

#6 Posted by Kaiho13 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

he's cool but nowhere near the greatness of Magneto.

Post Edited:2007-01-08 21:39:01

#7 Posted by G-Man (32557 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like Thanos for some reason. I'm really curious how he's gonna make it after his encounter with Drax.

Staff
#8 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is pretty freakin cool. Come on G-Man, Thanos is tight with Death herself. Surely that would put Death as only a minor hurdle for him to get over if he really wanted. I do wonder how long it is going to take him to become not dead again.

On a side note: was I like the only person in the world that really enjoyed the monk-like existence of Thanos during his most recent solo run? I think it was a pretty good read, myself. He just spent his time walking around in his robe, kicking butt whenever needed and learning, but otherwise not really caring about anything around him.

#9 Posted by G-Man (32557 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh we both know he's not dead. This is a guy so obsessed with Death that he tried killing the whole universe. He did have a funny look on his face like he was inconvenienced. But I do like him. He was one of the few FF figures I got last decade.

Staff
#10 Posted by Esco (51 posts) - - Show Bio

He was no match for the awesomeness of Squirrel Girl!

As you can see, Doctor Doom himself was defeated by the wondrous Squirrel Girl.

#11 Posted by Metal Head (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it all depends on your definition of "best" for best villain. Thanos is pretty damn cool and the original Infinity Gauntlet mini-series was awesome. But (except for the Squirrel Girl reference above), Doom's got him beat in my book. Here's a villain who's not supremely powerful but he uses his mind like no other (save for Lex Luthor). His goal is the ultimate villaious goal... to take over the world. But unlike most other villains, he actually DOES rule. His own friggin country!

But if you're talking most powerful villain, Thanos still doesn't win. What about a godlike creature called Galactus?

#12 Posted by G-Man (32557 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus was made into Annihilus' b!tc# in the Annihilation series thanks to Thanos.

Staff
#13 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

Metal Head says:

"Well it all depends on your definition of "best" for best villain. Thanos is pretty damn cool and the original Infinity Gauntlet mini-series was awesome. But (except for the Squirrel Girl reference above), Doom's got him beat in my book. Here's a villain who's not supremely powerful but he uses his mind like no other (save for Lex Luthor). His goal is the ultimate villaious goal... to take over the world. But unlike most other villains, he actually DOES rule. His own friggin country! But if you're talking most powerful villain, Thanos still doesn't win. What about a godlike creature called Galactus? "

I'd have to say that Thanos fighting against Galactus can't really compete. I'll give you that, but look at the gauntlet series. Even though he can't compete without it, he DID manage to attain it, it took down not only Galactus, but ALL the cosmic beings!! And yes, it got taken away from him, but as it has been proven and said many times, Thanos is only defeated if he WANTS to be defeated. So there! ;)

#14 Posted by Noir_Dark (861 posts) - - Show Bio

I think of Thanos as having the body of Superman, with the brains of Batman.

Throw his obsession with death in the mix and you have one cool villain

#15 Posted by Noir_Dark (861 posts) - - Show Bio

The Time Keeper says:

"Metal Head says:
"Well it all depends on your definition of "best" for best villain. Thanos is pretty damn cool and the original Infinity Gauntlet mini-series was awesome. But (except for the Squirrel Girl reference above), Doom's got him beat in my book. Here's a villain who's not supremely powerful but he uses his mind like no other (save for Lex Luthor). His goal is the ultimate villaious goal... to take over the world. But unlike most other villains, he actually DOES rule. His own friggin country! But if you're talking most powerful villain, Thanos still doesn't win. What about a godlike creature called Galactus? "

I'd have to say that Thanos fighting against Galactus can't really compete. I'll give you that, but look at the gauntlet series. Even though he can't compete without it, he DID manage to attain it, it took down not only Galactus, but ALL the cosmic beings!! And yes, it got taken away from him, but as it has been proven and said many times, Thanos is only defeated if he WANTS to be defeated. So there! ;)"

His weakness his is obsessions. Thanos could have succeeded in Infinity Gauntlet if he wasn’t so concerned with what death thought of him.

Thanos was trying too hard to impress Death his knee jerk reaction was to become Eternity without properly thinking it out.

That’s when it fell apart for Thanos

#16 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I don't think he got careless. Like Adam said close to the end of the gauntlet series, he supplied the only means to his defeat. It could've been carelessness, but I don't think it was, like Adam Warlock said, Thanos knows he's not worthy of it.

#17 Posted by Dreaded Porcupine (49 posts) - - Show Bio

No I am.

#18 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

And what makes you say that? Cause I think that THE TIME KEEPER is the only one worthy of it! (Actually, I disagree with the Tribunal, Adam Warlock is worthy of it too!)

#19 Posted by white fang (20 posts) - - Show Bio

he can kill evry one marvel super heroes and dc at the same time

#20 Posted by G-Man (32557 posts) - - Show Bio

Except for Drax.

Staff
#21 Posted by The Voidwalker (272 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how he looks more intrigued than suprised.

#22 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

ANy time a dude gets an arm though the chest and just says interesting thats a badass

#23 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how the page isn't about Drax beating Thanos, it's about Thanos, in all his greatness, not being phased by anything, not even the hand bursting through his chest and clutching his still beating heart.

#24 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey we are just looking on the bright sie of things

#25 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Drax gets the badass points for this, but Thanos gets style points.

#26 Posted by G-Man (32557 posts) - - Show Bio

At least now he's with his true love, Death.

Staff
#27 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

He's awesome, but I prefer a few people. Galactus. Magneto. Lex Luthor. Joker. And Dr. Doom.

#28 Posted by Quemarie (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is the tragic villian; the creature that ultimately defeats itself.

When he murdered his own mother, do you think that his love for her is related to his love of Death?

#29 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Damm dude never thought of it like that.

#30 Posted by white fang (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Drax won because he had help from the avengers
Post Edited:2007-02-17 11:58:31

#31 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Drax is a punk. Thanos rocks, yeah. I still prefer Galactus though.

#32 Posted by kyantic (3 posts) - - Show Bio

thanos is marvel most powerfull villain,was a terrible way they killed him off,ok dont get me wrong but when drax had superstrenght and could fly and whatever powers he had,thanos always whipped hiss ass,so now a depowered drax can all off a sudden kill thanos,dont buy it,spoiled the whole annhillation series for me which i enjoyed

#33 Posted by Poo Poo List (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmmmm.............I feel a new addition to The List coming soon........

#34 Posted by EdgeofyourSoul (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Definately the most intriguing villian for sure. Yeah Doom and Luthor are usually more favored but they lack his complexity. I mean only mortals desire to rule one planet and have enough power to take down a few superheroes but a true villian supreme is one who desires everything and even his reasoning for killing is interesting. How many other villians have died and looked cooler than the person killing them? The answer is only Thanos. Yeah I get that Galactus could rival or surpass him but remember Galactus is driven by hunger more than anything else plus technically he's not a villian. He does what he does to survive.

#35 Posted by Eradicator (306 posts) - - Show Bio

i have to agree with noir, Doom to me is a better villian. Thanos is pretty darn BA, but Doom just fits "best villian" a little better in my book, thats just my opinion.

#36 Posted by Taylove (91 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Lunacyde (18652 posts) - - Show Bio
Eradicator said:
"

i have to agree with noir, Doom to me is a better villian. Thanos is pretty darn BA, but Doom just fits "best villian" a little better in my book, thats just my opinion.

"

Couldnt say It better!
#38 Posted by Lunacyde (18652 posts) - - Show Bio
EdgeofyourSoul said:
"

Definately the most intriguing villian for sure. Yeah Doom and Luthor are usually more favored but they lack his complexity. I mean only mortals desire to rule one planet and have enough power to take down a few superheroes but a true villian supreme is one who desires everything and even his reasoning for killing is interesting. How many other villians have died and looked cooler than the person killing them? The answer is only Thanos. Yeah I get that Galactus could rival or surpass him but remember Galactus is driven by hunger more than anything else plus technically he's not a villian. He does what he does to survive.

"

Well using your process I'll go with Abraxas then....even though Domm's still #1 in my book.
#39 Posted by lordraiden (7016 posts) - - Show Bio
Kaiho13 said:
"

he's cool but nowhere near the greatness of Magneto.

Post Edited:2007-01-08 21:39:01

"

As much as I like Mags, he trumps him :-)

Buckshot
said:
"

I love how the page isn't about Drax beating Thanos, it's about Thanos, in all his greatness, not being phased by anything, not even the hand bursting through his chest and clutching his still beating heart.

"

That is absolutely why he is awsome :-) even in death, it's nothing but intrigue for him! p.s. and death, well, that's nothing more than another obsticle for him that he hasn't overcome before int the past ;-)
#40 Posted by lordraiden (7016 posts) - - Show Bio
Metal Head said:
"

Well it all depends on your definition of "best" for best villain. Thanos is pretty damn cool and the original Infinity Gauntlet mini-series was awesome. But (except for the Squirrel Girl reference above), Doom's got him beat in my book. Here's a villain who's not supremely powerful but he uses his mind like no other (save for Lex Luthor). His goal is the ultimate villaious goal... to take over the world. But unlike most other villains, he actually DOES rule. His own friggin country!

But if you're talking most powerful villain, Thanos still doesn't win. What about a godlike creature called Galactus?

"

Sorry, but Doom is the light weight earth version :-) he doesn't even come close to Thanos, in opinion!
#41 Edited by LordCosmicKing (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont even consider thanos a villain anymore after all he has done i bump him up on another bracket for gods sakes he's a death god who is accredited by the abstracts and also the mate of  an abstract being..

all that he has done is for lady death  they are both above such petty concepts of evil. he does what he does for he is thanos. :) 

#42 Posted by King Saturn (224033 posts) - - Show Bio
Thanos was indeed a Badass Villian
#43 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd definitely put Thanos in the villian category anymore either.  But he's definitely one bad dude!  He doesn't rule his own country, but he's got his own fleet of starships that destroyed a being that was (in Thanos' words) "probably twice as powerful as Galactus."  He could rule a country if he wanted to.  I mean, he got the Infinity Gauntlet gems by himself for cryin' out loud!  And he subconciously gave them up, that's the only reason he's not STILL ruling everything that is.  I definitely don't make light of Doom, cuz he's awesome too!  But I think when it comes right down to it, Thanos is better because he has the ability to go to farther lengths to get what he wants.  Galactus?  Loses to Thanos.  Thanos got a sample of Galactus' DNA against Galactus' wishes and made a clone that was twice as powerful.  Galactus is a cosmic being, has herralds, power cosmic, deals directly with the tribunal, yadda yadda yadda.  In my opinion, Thanos wins this, hands down.  No contest.

#44 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is cool but not the best villain.

#45 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

Megatron and Cobra Commander are the best villains ever.

#46 Posted by Meanstreak (415 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as feats, Thanos is the best. Noone even comes close.

#47 Posted by YuggieCoin (29 posts) - - Show Bio

So is he still vulnerable to the glowing Drax?

#48 Posted by dustydawg (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Thanos.  

I think he is what Darkseid should be. 

#49 Posted by MrDirector786 (43525 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is sooooooooooo cool

#50 Posted by max452 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeeeees. Thanos is the best, always was and always will be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.