Follow

Thanos

Character » Thanos appears in 1258 issues.

An Eternal with the Deviant gene, making him unique and extremely powerful, even amongst his own kind. Above all else, Thanos loves and worships Mistress Death. Few can equal his intelligence, strength, and ambition for power. Thanos has wielded the Cosmic Cube, the Infinity Gauntlet, and even the Heart of the Universe.

Is he an abstract entity?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AtPhantom

Okay, recently in many battle threads I have seen people claiming that since his death at the hands of Drax, Thanos has become
    an embodiment of death and has been imbued with powers of death itself, rather than, you know, just being dead.

Personally I think this is just fan-fiction, so can anyone present some evidence to support one theory or the other?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fesak  Moderator

This is the only evidence of that. Thanos standing at Deaths side after his death.
    I don't think he's been seen doing anything but watching. Take it as you will.

caption
    caption
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AtPhantom

Personally, I see two ghosts standing together... but people have turned that into a freaking tabloid show...

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By never give up

I have seen that Death Thanos can beat PC Darkseid...

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By never give up

But are there any feats because if they are not how could anyone even know....

OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OhTru

We will see, as far as I understand it Thanos has not been seen in person since his death

but rumors have it that Thanos is back

If the modern amped up Surfer actually can give the new Titan man a fight, maybe even knock the Titan on his ass then we know Thanos has got nothing more. He gained nothing from Ms Death, if the Silver Surfer can challenge him then he's no more powerful than he ever was before Drax owned him. 
    However if he returns, starts wrecking up Galaxies and absolutely stomps and mutilates Surfer. Then Thanos has got one serious power up and there's something very scary going on

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AtPhantom
    @OhTru said:
    "  We will see, as far as I understand it Thanos has not been seen in person since his death but rumors have it that Thanos is back  If the modern amped up Surfer actually can give the new Titan man a fight, maybe even knock the Titan on his ass then we know Thanos has got nothing more. He gained nothing from Ms Death, if the Silver Surfer can challenge him then he's no more powerful than he ever was before Drax owned him.  However if he returns, starts wrecking up Galaxies and absolutely stomps and mutilates Surfer. Then Thanos has got one serious power up and there's something very scary going on "
    This has nothing to do with what I asked. I was talking about his nature, not his power level.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not that ive ever seen. traveling realms and assuming a new nature doesnt really make one an abstract.
    id ask those who claim such a thing to provide actual concrete evidence to support the claim and id be 
    interested in seeing this myself.

OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OhTru

Its difficult to know where to rank Thanos, 
    before his death by the kryptonite Drax I would have classed him as a low/mid-level Skyfather 
    above him IMO rank the true Skyfathers like Odin, Tyrant, Surtur, Yuga Khan, Archangels, Shazam etc

Way above Skyfather rank the cosmic abstract concepts

You have Chaos in Marvel 
    Death of The Endless
    Ultimate Judgment like the LT and to a lesser extent DC's Spectre 
     Celestials, Imperiex and the Quantum Mechianics

The Devourer - Galactus 
    and he comes with his instruments like his planet eating machine and his hearlds like Stardust and Surfer

Mistress Death also has an instrument, its the ruthless brainiac Thanos 
    and she considers this Deviant-Eternal her personal champion. 
    They had a weird loveyou-hateyou obsessive relationship that began from his young age
    and led to the Titan going a quest for power and conducting an orgy of murder and death during many times of his life/lives, even wiping out his homeworld to win her favor and gain even more power.

So basically all Cosmic Concepts in Marvel like Chaos, Death, Infinity etc are represented by Avatars so humans can see their form
    and the Concept Death, her Champ has been Thanos 

So no I don't call him 'abstract' but he is her personal and most elite soldier

Lupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lupine

I think it's just something that people are being disingenuous with. Thanos hasn't been shown doing anything but watching. And there is no proof that he can do anything but be with Death since he himself is finally dead. Personally I'm not even convinced that Thanos would stay where he is now if Deadpool were suddenly able to die.  

That's just my opinion, but I think the lady likes Wade a little better. lol.

kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By kheranlord12

no

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I never thought so

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

He is currently the Avatar of Death and cannot die, but I still don't think that makes him an abstract entity because his Avatar powers could be removed by Death if she chose. 

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gravitypress

I don,t think he is an abstract because he directly interferes in the flow of the universe. Galactus is a quasi abstract because he sometimes interferes. By giving him the new title Avatar of Death things might have changed but I doubt it.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

I don't know.   
    I've always felt his power-levels were between a Herald and an abstract; Sky-Father level, but maybe he is now an abstract.  We'll have to wait and see.
    ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThanoStomp
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " He is currently the Avatar of Death and cannot die, but I still don't think that makes him an abstract entity because his Avatar powers could be removed by Death if she chose.  "
    This.  Read the Thanos Imperative.  Clearly states in there that he is the Avatar of Death.  The real question is, "Where is he now?"  He was apparently trapped in the Cancerverse with Star-Lord and Nova when the Fault collapsed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.