Follow

Thanos

Character » Thanos appears in 1258 issues.

An Eternal with the Deviant gene, making him unique and extremely powerful, even amongst his own kind. Above all else, Thanos loves and worships Mistress Death. Few can equal his intelligence, strength, and ambition for power. Thanos has wielded the Cosmic Cube, the Infinity Gauntlet, and even the Heart of the Universe.

How powerful is Thanos?

Avatar image for ___living_tribunal_22__
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean average Thanos: 

1) How powerful is he? 
    2) In which power ranking is he? (Herald (low, mid, high), Transcendent, Skyfather (low, mid, high)) 
    3) What can he do? 
    4) What can he bust? 
      4.B) What can he survive? 

And the most important question: 

5) Why he always has his ass kicked off by Marvel Heroes, if they are much less powerful?

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ThanoStomp

I'll let other answer 1-4 because of the many transformations he's been through.   But as for 5.....  He rarely has gotten beaten by anyone. Other than Odin, I don't recall anyone giving him much of beating. Odin just hit him with massive blasts and he basically tanked them, but couldn't offer up much of an offensive.  He's mostly beaten himself by doing something completely out of character(CIS).  Someone will post the shot of him being arrested by the NYPD, but again, that's complete idiocy by the writer.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Number 1 I am not really sure.
    Number 2 I would say high skyfather, considering the beings he's fought and either survived or beat, including Odin, Galactus, and Tryant.
    Number 3 is another ambigious one because he's done a lot. He's an Eternal, knows a great deal of Black magic (taught to him by Death), he's a genius, has various cybernetic and biotic implants that enhance him even further.
    Number 4 I don't believe he's ever "busted" anything, except when he had the Infinity Gauntlet and the Celestials were throwing planets at him or when he destroy the Universe when he claimed the Heart of the Universe. He's survived a lot, he's survived the wrath of Galactus and everything Odin could throw at him, and again survived the fight against Tyrant who is nearly a Galactus level being.
    Number 5 he is usually beaten by his own ego, or as he has said on numerous occasion he's always planted the seeds of his own defeat in feeling he wasn't worthy enough of ultimate power, namely the IG.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Depends on who's writing him. Starlin loves to make him a God Mode character (like kill the Universe power), but other writers tend to have at a more negotiable level (ala Thor),

___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number 2 I would say high skyfather, considering the beings he's fought and either survived or beat, including Odin, Galactus, and Tryant. 

Really?, many users here say that Thanos at his prime is low skyfather. 

Number 4 I don't believe he's ever "busted" anything, except when he had the Infinity Gauntlet and the Celestials were throwing planets at him or when he destroy the Universe when he claimed the Heart of the Universe.  

Many websites oriented to power rankings always put him from planetbuster to busting multiple solar systems. I read it depends on how much energy he has absorbed. At times he's incredibly high in energy and others he's extremely low. Oh, and when he had the HOTU he destroyed the Multiverse (or Omniverse?).
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number 5 he is usually beaten by his own ego, or as he has said on numerous occasion he's always planted the seeds of his own defeat in feeling he wasn't worthy enough of ultimate power, namely the IG.  

I think I understand it. The heroes defeat him by destroying his plans, but they don't beat him in an actual fight. They force him to retreat.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @___Living_Tribunal_22__: Its not that the force him to retreat, its more like he leaves himself open to be defeated. A prime example of this is the Infinity Gauntlet arc, I am not sure if you read it, but at the end as he has the IG and is on the verge of defeating everyone, a corpsified Nebula steals the Gauntlet from him when he left his body to join with the universe. Thanos is sorta the Marvel equivalent of the old epics told by the Greeks where a mortal defies the gods because the gods don't think there is anything the mortal can do against them.

I am not sure if I gave a good example, but to truly understand you should check out the Infinity Gauntlet arc, my all time favorite mega event that you truly only needed to read the main books.
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ Nova`Prime`:  

I haven't read much of Thanos lately, what I mean is that I have seen so far where he gets beaten by cosmic powerhouses like Odin, Galactus or Grandmaster. So, I think up to now that because he is defeated is that Thanos is overconfident or the mental block he has doesn't let him win. So, every time he is defeated is because he gets open to a clear defeat. 

But, what I mean, is that why Thanos doesn't just destroy them along with Earth. Or if any time the heroes has beat him in direct combat.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @___Living_Tribunal_22__: I don't think there has every been a direct beating and I am not really sure the answer for why he doesn't just destroy the world. I think a lot of it has to do with more wanting to rule then destroy, that is after he got over the whole destroy half the universe thing to appease Death.
    ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By ripcurl

As others have already said, he was able to go toe-to-toe with Odin. What they haven't mentioned is that the fight took place in Asgard, which would be like fighting Mephisto in Hades (keep in mind that this was BEFORE his second resurrection, which increased his powers greatly). The only real beatdown I've ever seen Thanos take was from Galactus. With his recent upgrade, I would say Thanos is slightly above skyfather level, and slightly below Galactus' level. As to why he gets his ass kicked by Marvel heroes; he doesn't. Even at his original strength, he was able to take on all of the Avengers and Fantastic Four simultaneously.

___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have already said, he was able to go toe-to-toe with Odin. What they haven't mentioned is that the fight took place in Asgard, which would be like fighting Mephisto in Hades (keep in mind that this was BEFORE his second resurrection, which increased his powers greatly). The only real beatdown I've ever seen Thanos take was from Galactus. With his recent upgrade, I would say Thanos is slightly above skyfather level, and slightly below Galactus' level. As to why he gets his ass kicked by Marvel heroes; he doesn't. Even at his original strength, he was able to take on all of the Avengers and Fantastic Four simultaneously. 

I found out why Thanos is always defeated to Marvel Heroes, apparently it says that the real Thanos rarely appears in person and most of the time it is a clone or a doppelganger.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@___Living_Tribunal_22__: Who says that?

Avatar image for hoarderofhilarity
    Hoarderofhilarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@___Living_Tribunal_22__ said:

I found out why Thanos is always defeated to Marvel Heroes, apparently it says that the real Thanos rarely appears in person and most of the time it is a clone or a doppelganger.

I think you may be thinking of Darkseid.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Thor's hammmer

1. Thanos is very powerful even in his early days He was much more powerful than Classic Surfer and Surpassed even classic Thor. He has had hi spowers incrreased since then as of the Thanos Imperative he surpassed even cosmic cube's in raw power.  
    2. in classic Days he was above any Herald but not buy much. He once stood against Odin and survived inspite of Having his but kicked. however that was an extremely low showing for Odin. their battle didn't even destroy a city and Odin's other battle's sometimes spanned the universe. and Odin had easily previously bested Galaxy busters and higher. as of the Thanos imperative He is probably a match for high level skyfather's in a fair non low showing fight.  
    3. nearly everything, matter manioulation, energy manipulation, most likely low level reality manipulation, super speed, incredible resistance to injury, energy blasts, super strength, super intelect etc.  
    4. he has easily busted planets in the past and classic could probably have busted a solar system at best. Currently he could possibly do serious damage to or even bust a galaxy.  
    4.B) He has easily Survived planet busting attacks and could probably have survived solar system busting attacks in the past. as of the Thanos imperative he could likely survive attacks that could seriously damage a Galaxy.  
    5. He isn't ususaly He often beats some of the Strongest Heroes like Silver Surfer, Thor, Hulk, Drax etc. But how does he occasionally lose? the same way He can occasionaly stand with the All Father of Asgard. PIS. it's the same way Cap Sometimes beats the Hulk. or when Spideey beats Firelord.  
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Thanos is very powerful even in his early days He was much more powerful than Classic Surfer and Surpassed even classic Thor. He has had hi spowers incrreased since then as of the Thanos Imperative he surpassed even cosmic cube's in raw power.  
    2. in classic Days he was above any Herald but not buy much. He once stood against Odin and survived inspite of Having his but kicked. however that was an extremely low showing for Odin. their battle didn't even destroy a city and Odin's other battle's sometimes spanned the universe. and Odin had easily previously bested Galaxy busters and higher. as of the Thanos imperative He is probably a match for high level skyfather's in a fair non low showing fight.  
    3. nearly everything, matter manioulation, energy manipulation, most likely low level reality manipulation, super speed, incredible resistance to injury, energy blasts, super strength, super intelect etc.  
    4. he has easily busted planets in the past and classic could probably have busted a solar system at best. Currently he could possibly do serious damage to or even bust a galaxy.  
    4.B) He has easily Survived planet busting attacks and could probably have survived solar system busting attacks in the past. as of the Thanos imperative he could likely survive attacks that could seriously damage a Galaxy.  
    5. He isn't ususaly He often beats some of the Strongest Heroes like Silver Surfer, Thor, Hulk, Drax etc. But how does he occasionally lose? the same way He can occasionaly stand with the All Father of Asgard. PIS. it's the same way Cap Sometimes beats the Hulk. or when Spideey beats Firelord.   

Your answer is the best I seen in this thread. But I think you mean CIS because of his mental block that he is unworthy of supreme power.

I think you may be thinking of Darkseid. 

No, I recently read the comic in which Squirrel Girl beat Thanos effortlesty. At first I was like: "What the hell? Is this Squirrel Girl omnipotent or what", but then I read Uatu saying that the one she beat was the real Thanos and not a clone like almost all others that appear on Earth.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

1. How powerful is he?

Depends on which power you are referring to. Classic Thanos could slap around the Classic Avengers all by himself. High powered cosmic heroes cannot defeat Thanos on their own, such as Captain Mar-Vell, Adam Warlock or the Silver Surfer. With his vast array of abilities and his super genius level intellect, there are few who can challenge Thanos that are not "skyfather" level.

2. In which power ranking is he?

I generally avoid the labels of herald or skyfather, because it's vague and that's battle forum talk. If you want to base him against say, Odin, it would put Thanos at far less energy output but possibly equal in durability. Although Thanos has some fantastic energy manipulation/absorbtion, psychic, prep/intellect and power feats, he has by far some of the best durability feats. It's pretty difficult to put Thanos down for the count unless you have Galactus level power.

3. What can he do?

Anything he plans for. The best way to describe it is that Thanos is the Batman of the Marvel Universe.

4. What can he bust?

More battle forum talk. Labels make powers irrelevant. I mean, seriously, I've read A LOT of comics and I don't really recall any solar system or galaxy busting going on. It's not a very common occurrence, so it kind of annoys me when people use this terminology for someone that has never actually been shown to do such a thing. Frankie Raye as Nova easily destroyed a star and she is generally considered to be the weakest of Galactus' heralds. Thanos is capable of far more energy output than she could ever be.

4b. What can he survive?

Nearly anything. He has been killed twice, once by Adam Warlock by turning him to stone and finally by Drax the Destroyer (who was designed to kill him). Thanos has survived attacks from Odin, Tyrant, Galactus, Walker, a clone of Galactus he created called Omega, Kosmos (the Beyonder in mortal form), the Magus, the Goddess and a clone of himself. Some people will say that he had a power item or he used his tech, but guess what, it was Thanos and that's how he rolls so they can deal with it. Thanos does use tech, but at the same time it's some of the most advanced in the universe, designed by himself.

5. Why he always has his ass kicked off by Marvel Heroes, if they are much less powerful?

There isn't an Earth hero I can think of that has kicked Thanos' ass. Which brings us to...

No, I recently read the comic in which Squirrel Girl beat Thanos effortlesty. At first I was like: "What the hell? Is this Squirrel Girl omnipotent or what", but then I read Uatu saying that the one she beat was the real Thanos and not a clone like almost all others that appear on Earth.

There is something you have to understand here: Squirrel Girl is unbeatable. That's the gimmick. I would guess that anything the writers had Uatu say was to clarify that she beat THE Thanos to amp her up some more. She beat Doom and Terrax as well. You can't hold it against someone when Squirrel Girl beats them, because that's the only possible outcome.

I've read a lot of Thanos comics and never have I seen or heard of any Thanos clones or doppelgangers being used by him. He did create clones of himself called the Thanosi, but they were very different from him. There was also the clone of Thanos I mentioned earlier that was created by the Magus during the Infinity War (which the Magus chose specifically because Thanos is that awesome). Thanos loves a challenge. It's not really in his character to create clones to do his dirty work.

To sum up, whether some people like it or not, Thanos is an all around bad ass. Not only can he go blow for blow with some of the most powerful beings in the universe, he can also match wits with the smartest. He's nearly destroyed the universe on several occasions and then saved it on a few as well. Thanos is a lot more complex than most give him credit for and I think he is one of the greatest characters in all of comics.

FadeToBlackBolt need not respond. :)

___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically: 

1) Powerful enough to swipe the floor with Heralds of Galactus 
    2) Transcendent to low skyfather 
    3) A lot of stuff 
    4) Casual planetbuster and starbuster. Usually star system busting and at peak galaxybusting. 
    4b) Blasts from universal entities like Odin and Galactus 
    5) He rarely gets beaten by someone who is below skyfather level. 

Finally, to close this topic then, question five changes: 

5b) How Marvel Heroes get rid of Thanos when he appears?
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

With help of cosmic heroes, usually Adam Warlock.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

He is as powerful as the writer wants, which is generally usually, consistently powerful. Unless its Starlin, in which case he is power incarnate. His ranking is Thanos class. Capital T... for Thomas. What can he do? He can open the most stubborn pickle jars with his chin. What can he bust? He can bust a move. What can he survive? Like the Destiny Child's song suggests, he is a survivor so he can survive many things. The most important answer is that power does not equate to victory. It can be a very important factor, but to think its value is the only value of importance is to put your head in to the cosmic sand. Just like real life, writers write characters with motivations, will's goals, intelligence etc etc and of course this is fiction. So you know, good guys will win, usually, no matter. Then again, characters powers are made by writers as well. So to question the idea of writers allowing "weak" heroes beat "strong" villains, is sort of the same if one wishes to, in questioning why characters like heroes and villains are that powerful anyway. I personally tend to think Thanos is overrated (well more other sites than here at CV, I actually think at CV he can be underrated but thats just based on what I have seen, I don't spend much time looking at peoples opinions on such matters)   

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @jloneblackheart said:

With help of cosmic heroes, usually Adam Warlock.

Totally agree.
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nova`Prime`: Then the reason he loses is because of Warlock?
    Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: Is it safe to say that Starlin is too much of a fanboy to properly write for Thanos. I mean under Starlin, he's just plain overpowered and way too intelligent.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By NighThunder
    Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
    Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@fadetoblackbolt: Is it safe to say that Starlin is too much of a fanboy to properly write for Thanos. I mean under Starlin, he's just plain overpowered and way too intelligent.

Also the whole thing about how no fight Thanos ever lost counts anymore

that was just immature on his part

theendgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By theendgame

He can stalemate Chuck Norris' beard in a staring contest.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos' power level ever since the original cosmic cube storyline was more powerful than the combined might of the Avengers. When Death resurrected him, she gave him a significant power upgrade. Supposedly supplied him with enough power to accompish her goal of killing half of all life in the universe.

He went toe to toe with Tyrant and Odin. Although Odin was winning, he couldn't stop him. Tyrant is Galactus level and didn't beat Thanos. Thor beat him with Odin's powers (or maybe just his weapons I don't remember) which was later revealed to be a clone (cop out). Thanos is a planner with tremendous power. He is rarely defeated because he usually has a gameplan.

Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oceanmaster21

@kcjr: what issues were those when did all that happen

ToO_RaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ToO_RaW

He is powerful enough to take 4 full on screams to the face by Blackbolt. The screams enraged him and he simply proceeded to kill Blackbolt

Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Herokiller12344

@too_raw: I think it's safe to say that the screams hurt him. 1. Thanos' Armor/Clothes can take ALOT. Anything that can rip those is not to be played around with.

2. He was bleeding.

3. What besides pain would piss him off enough to kill Blackbolt?

Avatar image for corneliusthegreat
    Corneliusthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is a powerful extraterrestrial being. He's more prominent to combat skills than the most dangerous enemy, Galactus ...He is banned by death itself from entering the realm, which means that he is an immortal being. He is immune to such fatal damages to any kind of heroes in Marvel..He can read the minds of the others...He also has matter manipulation, telepathy, and teleportation power..

Fenxsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos has never actually busted a planet by himself. The one instance was with Drax making it a dual feat.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ka-zar gave Thanos a good fight lol.

Personally I think with out any boost his regular power level is roughly Thor level but his planning and item gathering boost him well higher.

Kangconquers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Kangconquers

@westy206 said:

Ka-zar gave Thanos a good fight lol.

Personally I think with out any boost his regular power level is roughly Thor level but his planning and item gathering boost him well higher.

Thanos has feats that put him several notches above a High Herald.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

hirev_starman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hes pretty damn powerful. Almost Skyfather level.

Avatar image for eternalgrandmaster
    EternalGrandMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@___living_tribunal_22__:

1. He's really fricking strong. Stronger than Thor and Hulk strong...Physically beat the SS to death in a couple blows.

2.Thanos is easy Low Sky Father Level. Classic Thanos tanked again & again & again blast from Odin. Even after Odin grabbed his gungir spear to increase his power.

3. He can do whatever he wants. Thanos is an Mutant Eternal with a Deviant Gene. So he's immortal and doesn't age. Can teleport without his tech, Has cosmic powers of matter and moleculer control, TP stronger than Moondragons, More Strentgh than Thor...Thanos capabilities go on and on

4. Thanos can easily bust a small planet or Moon....I'm sure he's capable of busting a planet but not through physical force or energy projectile...More through plot means of sort

5. All characters have low showings and some just get caught up in crapping writing that ignores a characters legacy and history....Thanos in Avengers Assemble was written with low showings and a bunch of PIS & CIS......He is later shown In the Infinity Event with much better feats...Smacking A blitzing Hulk to the side, Tanking and asking for more from Thor's lighting blast..Thanos came on the scene fighting ppl like Thor,Hercules & hulk all at once and prevailing....So any rag tag team you see beating him up isn't an accurate showing

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Above herald and below skyfather's level

KingZod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think at his peak he should be able to destroy multiple star systems or a galaxy. And he's generally accepted at Transcendent level tier

odinson011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By odinson011

Thanos is one of the most powerful beings in MCU. Not only is is he powerful but also very smart and indestructible.

He wielded the infinity gauntlet which gave him the power to erase the entire universe at his will.

http://www.crazzycomics.com/who-is-thanos/

autoexit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By autoexit

@___living_tribunal_22__ said:

I mean average Thanos:

1) How powerful is he?

2) In which power ranking is he? (Herald (low, mid, high), Transcendent, Skyfather (low, mid, high))

3) What can he do?

4) What can he bust?

4.B) What can he survive?

And the most important question:

5) Why he always has his ass kicked off by Marvel Heroes, if they are much less powerful?

1. Below Odin.

2. Just below Skyfather level.

3. Strategist (better than Doom), High level intellect.

4. Planets and knock hungry Galactus on his feet.

4.b) Black hole.

5. He is the villain.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really only seen Thanos in epics (Infinity) and I've read his backstory but there's something I'd really like to know. Aside from handcuffed/arrested early Thanos, I know nothing about how he was before Death resurrected him for half the universe destruction.

So then, just what/how was Thanos like in the beginning?

Ghetsiscmcvne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transcendent but capable of standing against skyfathers for a bit.

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1-Below Odin.

2-Low Skyfather.

3-Has a high level intellect which makes him extremely dangerous.

4-Solar systems.

5-Galaxy level attacks.

6-He's the villain,sometimes he jobs too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.