gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Jim Starlin is back, writing and drawing Thanos? My goodness. This is something I didn't think I'd see again. Let's get one thing straight right away, this isn't the Thanos from today. After the events of INFINITY, he's a little preoccupied. What we get is a Thanos from a few years ago. At first the exact time period isn't clear. But soon you can figure out around when this takes place due to some of the other characters involved.

If you think about Thanos over the last two decades, he has gone through some changes. The Thanos here isn't quite the MAD Titan we sometimes see. It is almost possible to reason with him. Of course he has his own agenda and will do what he deems needs to be done.

The interesting part of the story is the return of a character that accompanies Thanos on his quest. The character goes through some changes and there's no telling what will happen the next time we see this character.

With Starlin's return, we get a pretty trippy ride on an extremely cosmic level. It's a treat to read the entirety of Starlin's story in one sitting. Long time Starlin and Thanos fans will enjoy the presentation here. Frank D'Armata and Rachelle Rosenberg's colors will amaze you.

The Bad

Of course with the story set in the past, there is a bit of a limit as to what could happen during. There are some developments, more so with the mysterious other character I don't want to spoil (it's not too hard to find out who if you really want to know). This character's costume also goes back and forth between two versions. I believe I know why this was happening in the story but it was a little distracting during the story until it's somewhat clear what's going on.

I also mentioned the story gets trippy. While the art is gorgeous and we get the occasional full page or double page shots, you might find yourself wondering what exactly is going on. Or as Thanos is taking his journey, the strange going-ons are merely background imagery. It looks great but is it fully necessary?

Those not completely familiar with the more philosophical Thanos might be wondering why he's a lot calmer than he's been in more recent appearances.

The OGN hardcover package is really nice but some might question the $24.99 price tag for 100 pages.

The Verdict

Thanos is big news these days and what could be better than having Jim Starlin return to the character? Starlin has told many epic stories with the character and it's great to revisit his take on the character. The story obviously doesn't take place during the current timeline but we do get a nice completely self-contained story. This is the Thanos that likes to contemplate things. There is a big massive cosmic journey that only Thanos and Starlin could pull off. Fans of the character, especially during Starlin's time, should definitely check this out. This story might not be for everyone but if you dig Thanos, you'll want to see how this adventure play out.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

gonna keep my eye on it ,

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Whats up with thanos books

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll be picking this up.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

I don't get why people think Jim Starlin is a good Thanos writer. He bombed and destroyed the Thanos on going last time he tried writing him. He kind of drops the ball on most books he gets involved with then it comes to story....

I'll be getting this because of it's importance to the other stuff in the Marvel Universe.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember who said it, but I heard someone say that Thanos looks like a blue Jay Leno and now I can't think of one without the other.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By tparks  Online

Ok, I need to know if the character that accompanies him is Nova (Rich Rider)! I don't want anyone to spoil this for everyone else, so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease PM me if I'm right, because I will go buy this RIGHT NOW!!!!

I'm assuming it's not, because of the issue of Guardians next week. I have a pretty good idea of who it is though.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I'll check it out. See if it has anything to offer. Last time I enjoyed anything involving the Mad Titan was Giffen's Samaritan & Annihilation.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@g_man Does Thanos still Hate that Troll :P?

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

$25.00 for 100 pages of Jim Starlin art seems cheap to me.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

$25.00 for 100 pages of Jim Starlin art seems cheap to me.

It's even cheaper if you order it online.

BB

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one does Thanos like the man who created him.

The dialogue he writes for Thanos is head and shoulders above anything Marvel has done with the character without Starlin.

And the art's just as fantastic. I have no idea why Thanos has been drawn with prominent eyeballs since The Thanos Imperative. Starlin always drew the character with deeply recessed eyes with those twinkling pupils, and that's how the character should always look.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordraiden

Just ordered it online at Kings Comics, can't wait :-)

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: You do realize that Starlin created Thanos right? Who besides him has written him better? Marz, Aaron, Hickman, DnA, Giffen etc?

Mechapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be picking up a copy of this as soon as I can. I really enjoy Starlin's work and have been anticipating this book since I had heard of it. I am especially excited, as this week I had finished my Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade/Abyss sets, even getting my hands on the two Thanos Quest books.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Teerack

@lone_wolf_and_cub: That's a beyond irrelevant statement. Most classic characters best writers have not been their creator. He had one amazing story, maybe even the best comic story ever with the Infinity Gauntlet but then past that he just didn't know what to do with the character. It's why Marvel has to throw him off the Thanos book back in 2004 because of "creative differences"

Zumafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Starlins "Metamorphosis Odyssey" is his best work IMO. Old school in all the best ways! Think "Star Slammers", "Alien Legion" .. If everyone on this site read those books, we could unite in a circle of energy so powerful, it would destroy all hate on the net!... All of it!....

lol Yeah right.. If only

@teerack what does "beyond irrelevant" mean? Is relevance & Irrelevance like the Ideological circle. Where something can be so Irrelevant that it becomes relevant? ; )

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teerack

@zumafire: Your attempt to be a smart ass just makes you sound dumb.

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThanoStomp

I, for one, love the way Starlin writes Thanos. He always gives an introspective, very cerebral look at the character's psyche. The recent run in Infinity was cool because it showed how much of a brick he is, but Thanos' true might has always been his brain and cunning.

In Infinity Revelation, we get to see both the brain and the brute at work. For anyone wondering how Thanos fairs against the Annihilators..... I'll just say, I feel bad for the Annihilators.

Overall its was a decent book. Lackluster ending for me, but still worth the money.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Thats your opinion. Many people believe Starlin is the definitive Thanos writer. Whether you disagree or agree is irrelevant as its based on opinion.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Teerack

Finally got around to reading it. This was a good book getting past the incredibly dated way everyone talks and monologues(As you can expecting in Starlin book). The only negative I had with it was that unless you know a lot about Thanos, Drax, The Living Tribunal, Infinity, and Eternity this book would kind of be hard to understand and follow since it's really weird and random at times in an almost love craft way(which he sorta pulled offl). I do know all about cosmic marvel so I liked it, but I can't recommend this to new readers.

Why does Starlin insist that "damnation" is a world people use a lot when frustrated lol. Like seriously since his first books people just go "Damnation!" when they get mad and it sounds so silly. >.<

I always really liked Adam Warlock, defiantly a lot more then Thanos. I really don't like how our Adam was thrown away just for this story. :/

Avatar image for grootismyfriend
    Grootismyfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grootismyfriend

This was so great amazing art especially the colouring ! The story was kind of confusing near the end which i guess is because i wasn't a huge Thanos/Warlock fan so i missed something.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KnightofSteel

Starlin's writing has never been a big draw for me, but man his art... breathtaking.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it and really amazed by it. That's the Thanos i was missing to read for a long time. Thanks Starlin!

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#27 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@teerack: Sorry for the late reply, but I just read this and could not agree more with your last sentence in the spoiler tag. While it could be interesting in the future, I am disturbed by the events that took place. It's worse than death if you ask me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this story is entirely self contained??

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jayc1324: It is, but like someone said above, if you haven't read a lot of Thanos or Warlock stories you might get a little lost at times.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teerack

@teerack: Sorry for the late reply, but I just read this and could not agree more with your last sentence in the spoiler tag. While it could be interesting in the future, I am disturbed by the events that took place. It's worse than death if you ask me.

Yeah I am actually terrified that something like this exists inside the Marvel universe. If you think about it what happened to Adam is what happened to every character in the New 52. I'm scared this might happen again in a more bigger scale. What if when time runs out they end up merging all the different earths to stop the incursions or something and then everyone ends up a different versions of themselves and has always been that way.

The biggest reason that is really scary to me is I know that if they do go down that route they are going to basically turn their primary cast into the movie version of themselves for the sake of synergy.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The highlight of the book from me was Thanos reaction when annihilators announced themselves.

That panel with Thanos mocks their arrival with "oh please" was awesome.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@teerack: just remembered today they also did basically the same thing with Terrax

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: Not really? It's just a Terrax from an alternate earth. Nothing outside of typical marvel stuff.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@teerack: but the real Terrax was killed off (needlessly) and now has an alternate universe counterpart. Not quite as drastic as Adam, I agree, but a replaced character.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Teerack
    @jloneblackheart said:

@teerack: but the real Terrax was killed off (needlessly) and now has an alternate universe counterpart. Not quite as drastic as Adam, I agree, but a replaced character.

Not in the same way. Everyone still remembers and knows of the original Terrax, and it still all happened. With Adam they actually retconned all of his history so that the new Adam was always the Adam in our universe. It's basically the new 52 on one person with them being aware it all happened.

Terra is just like the Hyperion we see on the Avengers now who isn't the same Hyperion the heroes of 616 know and understand he's a different guy.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sammo21

I just read this OGN. I feel like the art is...odd. One panel you will have Adam Warlock in one costume, then the next he's in a different, and the next panel its back to the first. Same with Drax, I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Also, are we sure this really takes place in the past? . Early in the book Thanos visits the homeworld of the Badoon, Moord, and he references the events of Infinity and the Badoon going against the Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers. I figured this took place sometime in the future as I remember Starlin talking about having to bring Thanos back, but who knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.