cyclops4president's Thanos Rising #4 review

THANOS RISING #4 - Thanos has risen....to the top of my favorite list!

COVER ART: 5/5

What can I say about this cover other than beautiful. SIMON BIANCHI who pencils and especially (I rarely shout out the colorist, or in this case, the inwasherist) RICCARDO PIERUCCINI provide us with such a beautiful cover, that it is actually hard to admire considering the image is of such an evil despicable person Thanos. The detail is phenomenal. This is definitely the best cover this week by far (7/7/13).

STORY ART: 5/5

SIMON BIANCHI, RICCARDO PIERUCCINI, & IVE SVORCINA (colors) produce a magically told story through art. I am actually surprised this isn't rated R, as there is a pretty risqué image of a dead woman on Thanos' bed with....well, when you read the comic you will see. I guess they got away with it because she is an alien? Either way, this story could almost be told without the dialogue, which really compliments the artistic team involved on this book. The art for this book (#4) and the 3 previous issues have just been superb. Other than Thor: God of Thunder, this ranks as the best or 2nd best book VISUALLY, on the market right now.

STORY ARC: 5/5

JASON AARON. This is the mind of a genius or someone who needs some real help psychologically. I have always been aware of the character DEATH and was aware she has been a constant companion to Thanos in previous comics; however, I was only slightly familiar with both. So when the beautiful girl that has stolen Thanos' heart and has driven him to become this murderous beast, and who pushes Thanos more and more to kill just to prove he is worthy of her love, reveals herself to truly be DEATH by removing the beautiful facade of her human looking flesh to reveal her skeletal form, both Thanos and I were taken aback! In my mind and in the comic, we both, together go back to previous issues and see that this girl was never really seen by anyone BUT Thanos. All through his childhood she was there, but only Thanos could see her. Thanos is both a murderer and a psychopath but was it because he is inherently evil from birth the way his mother believed, or was it DEATH, who poised young Thanos' mind so early in his life to become what he is. Can someone from a place that knew no evil be born evil? Jason Aaron dives deep into the question of Nature versus Nurture in this series and it is done in such a way that even though Thanos is a terrible terrible individual with no remorse for what he has done, we find a way to actually feel slightly sorry for him because, even in his own words, he is doing this for love. His heart is not totally black. He is just a psychopath.

FINAL VERDICT: 5/5

I find myself questioning why I like this series so much when the main character is such a vile and deplorable individual. Through this series, Jason Aaron plus the team of artists have changed the normal image of Thanos, normally squatting in a power pose with his fist clenched and his teeth glaring like a big purple monkey, to a highly powerful and mentally deranged character that is so lost and his only guidance is pure evil, DEATH. I ask myself if Death had not chosen Thanos (which is what I believe happened) how great could Thanos have been in the forces of good. When his mother saw his purple skin and those black eyes at birth, she felt he was evil, but was that a feeling and trait SHE imbued upon him and thus called Death to investigate Thanos' potential. Ultimately Thanos did become great, just in the wrong direction. This is why this series is so good, it makes us ask these questions of characters that other books and other writers are just not producing. I recommend this book, only if you are willing to start from issue 1 before reading this issue. It really does play out like a symphony and without the beginning stanza, this issue may not create the drama if you had started from issue 1. Regardless, if you do read this issue and it is your first one of this series, enjoy the beautiful art and the great story either way. I recommend this to all readers aged 13 and above, maybe 17 and above.

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642
Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Great review. I truly loved this issue, as it was very deep, and awesome, and I look forward to the conclusion.

Edited by Cyclops4President

@xanni15 Thanks for recommending my review.!

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: I wasn't keen on the art to start with but it quickly grew on me, and I love it. I won't be happy to see it end, but it's an origin and they're usually better at this length.

Posted by Xanni15
Posted by Cyclops4President

@johnkmccubbin91 The reason I even looked at this book initially was the fantastic cover art, and I immediately fell in love with the story art. I think it is etherial, complicated, and unique. It is hard to find that nowadays with the rate they are churning out comics. The only other art that compares to this quality and uniqueness is Thor: God of Thunder. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that this was going to be just a mini-series. Oh well, all good things must come to end I guess.

Posted by Cyclops4President

@xanni15 hey, you changed your image on me. Is that batman now? Anyway, I just realized you have done a bunch of reviews as well. I am about to finish up my review for All New X-Men 14 and then check out your reviews.

Posted by Xanni15
Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: the cover art was always good it was just the way he drew the young Thanos I had to get used to. Yeah it was always meant has one, and unfortunately they do (though that's better than a dragged on origin).

Posted by Cyclops4President

@johnkmccubbin91: I liked the way he drew young Thanos. It was to show how he evolved from this young, impressionable child, almost frail and full of wonder, to the ragging monster we know now.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: Yeah I liked it as well, was just saying that it wasn't as I expected it to be, so took getting used to.

Posted by mdamasco

I too am also digging this mini series but is the character death the actual cosmic avatar or rather is she a figment of his imagination, he is the "Mad" titan afterall haha

Posted by Cyclops4President

@mdamasco: that is the question I ask myself as well. "death" has been "influencing" him his whole life, she was the one who turned him into a killer of the lizards, got his appetite for death, and then "tempted" him with her love forcing him to murder beyond belief. Is she real. Or is she a figment of his psyche that allows him to BLAIM someone else for acts that he himself could just not comprehend as his own desire. I think both answers are correct. They are both highly likely answers to why Thanos is how he is.

Posted by mdamasco

@cyclops4president I think you hit the nail on the head and it just makes Thanos that much more of an interesting character

Edited by Cyclops4President

@mdamasco: very true, and thanks for reading my review. I very much like this series. I never knew much about Thanos so this is doing a very good job making him a highly unique character. very interesting.

Posted by mdamasco

@cyclops4president Great review! I jumped on because i didn't know much either and I'm glad I did