Five Reasons You Should Read BATMAN BEYOND 2.0

Posted by G-Man (32530 posts) - - Show Bio

Many hold Batman: The Animated Series in high regards. It could be argued that Batman Beyond took Batman to a completely new level. Set in the near future, we were introduced to an older and retired Batman along with his new portage, Terry McGinnis.

With some futuristic sci-fi elements combined with the crime-fighting nature of Batman, this series showed us there was much more to Batman than just Bruce Wayne and the modern times.

DC has been releasing new comic stories set in the Batman Beyond universe. While they've been good, it wasn't until the recent reboot with Kyle Higgins taking over that we saw some big changes. BATMAN BEYOND 2.0 is showing us a slight evolution in the series. It's something that fans new and old will want to check out. Here's five reasons why the first issue blew us away.

Note: There will be some minor spoilers below!

The comic has moved a year forward

This type of storytelling always offers a great sense of mystery. If you been following the series, you've seen the adventures Terry's gone through but now we have no idea what has happened. There's bound to have been new experiences and new threats that remerged within that time.

With that, we can also assume there is the possibility of repercussions over past events. Who did Terry fight? Did he make new enemies? Has there been a price for all his activities over the past year?

This is going to be fun seeing the new stories unfold as we slowly find out what might have happened as well.

Terry has more experience as Batman

Over the course of the show and recent comics, Terry has fought all sorts of threats. With the sliding time scale in comics, we know too much time couldn't have gone by. So despite all his adventures, he still hasn't actually been Batman for as long as it's felt like for us.

We get a good indication that Terry has been busy and not just sitting around. At one point, we hear, "It's not the strangest thing you've dealt with all year" when fighting a Man-Bat.

In college and more freedom

Seeing stories with a young hero trying to balance their superhero and civilian life is always an interesting read. Seeing that young hero try to keep their alternative lifestyle from their parents has been seen over and over. Terry no longer has to worry about explaining to his mom what he's been up to or why he has long hours at "work."

There is some fun with the hero having to tip toe around but at the end of the day, that's not the main thing we'd want to see. Terry may have to worry about passing his classes but he does have the ability to run off or stay out late should he need to.

What's up with Terry and Dana?

We all know that superheroes with secret identities can sometimes have difficulty maintaining a relationship. Terry had to rush off when he was with Dana many times. She did discover his secret identity is BATMAN BEYOND #20. That should be one less thing for Terry to have to worry about but unfortunately something else came up.

While at the university, Terry sees Dana and it comes up that her broke up with her for some reason. It's an awkward reunion but we get a hint that there might be a little more to the break up than we can see. Dana clearly wants to talk about it but Terry insists it's "okay." We'll have to wait for this mystery to unravel.

Who's Terry working with now?

One of the coolest things has been Terry working with an older Bruce Wayne. In the issue's biggest shocker, we find out at the end this isn't the case. When Terry was operating as Batman in this issue, he was still in communication with someone. It's easy to assume it's Bruce, as always. At the end it's revealed to be someone else. It's pretty crazy and exciting. We won't spoil that here and hopefully you'll get the chance to read the issue before you find out.

For a new start of the franchise, things are looking great. There's plenty of action and aside from the mysteries of what has happened in Terry's life over the past year, there's also a pretty big one happening at the new Arkham Institute. If you've ever been a fan or interested in Batman Beyond, you'll be thankful we know have this new series. The first issue is available on comiXology and the series will appear in printed form in BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #1 on August 21.

Staff
#1 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to but I don't read digitals and it's going to be like 2 months until a print is out: /

#2 Posted by TommytheHitman (3094 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is he talking to? Please can someone tell me I don't read digital comics!

#3 Posted by G-Man (32530 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_money_christmas: Read the last sentence. August 21! Good luck avoiding that last spoiler though. It's pretty cool.

Staff
#4 Posted by RedhoodFlashLantern (51 posts) - - Show Bio

2 weeks the print will be out

#5 Posted by G-Man (32530 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommythehitman: It comes out in print on 8/21. Trust me, it's so much better if you read it. And the digital comic is only $0.99!

Staff
#6 Posted by saoakden (1040 posts) - - Show Bio

I only need one reason. Its Batman Beyond. By Joker night is it referring to the movie or the previous comic series with the 10,00 clown thing?

#7 Edited by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommythehitman: I highly recommend that you read it. but if you still want to know, it's: nightwing

#8 Posted by TommytheHitman (3094 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2309 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll definitely be picking this up in print! As a matter of fact, I might just go watch some old Beyond episodes to get pumped up.

#10 Edited by The Stegman (23969 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait for the print, I don't like digital comics.

#11 Edited by fallbrigade (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Not huge on the digital, like everyone said. So I'll be waiting for the print version, though I'm really excited to start reading this! Really enjoyed all the previous Batman Beyond material.

#12 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise: yeah I wasn't so sure about it when reading issue 1, but that "incentive" made me want to get the future issues!

#14 Posted by 2cool4fun (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

So is this continuing from the batman beyond animated movie or from the comic? And if it`s continuing from the comic, do i need to pick that up as well?

#15 Posted by kaiklown (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Love batman beyond. cant wait to get my hands on this.

#16 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by Ironhawk22 (320 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by RavenVice01 (249 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash:

thanks for the spoiler, now i want to get this. i was hoping i'd be somebody i like. I never tried batman beyond though

#21 Edited by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal: have you seen the tv show? if not, that's okay. at least watch the movie Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, to get a better glimpse of Batman Beyond. You really don't need to read any comics of him. I didn't. Who knows? Maybe Batman Beyond 2.0 could be a great jumping on point

#22 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6651 posts) - - Show Bio

It was pretty awesome, but did Batman die in this book?

#23 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

na I haven't seen the show. my friend has the whole series on dvd. I haven't really tried because I not a batman fan. ill check out the movie though. I do like nightwing so ill likely at least buy the first print issue. hopefully its 2.99 and not 3.99

#24 Edited by Godric_Talon (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash:

Awe that just made me want to get it even more!!

#25 Edited by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly unaware question: Is the digital-first BB series still going on? Is this one a continuation of that? (Or is it a continuation of the brief 2011 series?). J/w because I've been wanting to do some BB back-reading and want to have everything in order.

#26 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely will have to try this now!

#27 Posted by DadaHyena (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I still can't believe Batman Beyond came out as long ago as it did (believe me, I was there!) and it still somehow feels fresh and new.

#28 Posted by Eivion (87 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: They are all related. The 2011 series is a continuation from Hush Beyond (terrible story which you don't need to read). The first digital first series was a continuation of the 2011 series. This new series is also a continuation of the last digital first series. Its just a relaunch done to push the new creative team.

#29 Posted by StumbotheGiant (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to say after reading this I went and bought the issue and read it. It was great and that last page reveal I was not expecting that at all. I can't wait until the next issue.

#30 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@eivion: Thanks. Are all the "Beyond Universe" stories done then? (digital BB, Superman Beyond, & JL Beyond). I really wanted to read them but I already hate reading new-52 stuff month-to-month, lol.

#31 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh whats up with the Nightwing artwork on the cover? His chin looks ridiculous.

Regardless this series looks awesome. I'll be picking it up.

#32 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Beyond is always interesting.

I'm glad that Terry is in college now and I'm REALLY glad that he and Dana broke up. She was so useless in the cartoons even for the stereotypical superhero girlfriend

#33 Posted by HollowPrince65 (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought my first digital comic XD I love Batman Beyond from the TV show and thought I'd give it a try. I'm normally an all Print guy, but this changed it around. I don't mind shelling out a buck every week for this. I hope that Terry and Dana's relationship actually matures from the TV, cuz lets face it all she did was complain and stuff. I'm on board for this. Thanks Comicvine!

#34 Posted by havok85h (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: it's Sean's interpretation. I think it looks awesome :)

#35 Edited by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh come Comicvine, its obvious whose Terry is working for (and I know its not Bruce.)

#36 Posted by Herokiller12344 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would I want Terry to have more experience? The fun is that he's an ill prepared heir to the title.

#37 Posted by HollowPrince65 (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey anyone know if this is weekly? I can't find it on any of the comiclists sites...

#38 Posted by Black Lantern Mar-vell (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Man-bat have full digits AND wings? Shouldn't his hands BE his wings? Like a true bat.

#39 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i like that nightwing looks like white nick fury

#41 Posted by DocLuthorVonDoom (101 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i like that nightwing looks like white nick fury

...Nick Fury is white...?

#43 Posted by comicbookfreak1618 (6 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by TheTrollDance (172 posts) - - Show Bio

Was it revealed why Terry isn't working with Bruce anymore? Did he die or did they have a huge argument or something?

#46 Posted by Lanzslyde (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome series so far! I can't wait for future stories about Terry being Batman in his 30s.

#47 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

love this book...since there's no discussion thread for it I'll just post here

SH!T JUST GOT REAL THIS ISSUE!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.