Follow

Terry McGinnis

Character » Terry McGinnis appears in 408 issues.

Born with a partial strand of the original Batman's DNA, Terry McGinnis was a reformed juvenile delinquent who stole the Batman suit to avenge the murder of his father. Under Wayne's guidance, Terry became The Tomorrow Knight of futuristic Neo-Gotham: Batman Beyond.

Comics to Video Games: Batman Beyond

• 56 results
    Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

Edited By StrongProtector

With there being an absolute whirlwind of activity around recent announcements for Batman: Arkham City, it made me start to think that maybe our current Dark Knight is overshadowing the future one, who is just trying to grab his little corner of the limelight after nearly a decade of flying under the radar. And so I thought that maybe Terry McGinnis needs his own video game after he just got his own monthly comic again to solidify his spot in the eyes of fans of the DC Universe. It seems there is enough of an interest in The Tomorrow Knight that I’m sure we could figure out a better representation in the digital realm for him than the awful 2000 side-scrolling beat ‘em up for the N64/PS1 game based on Return of the Joker. So how would a Batman Beyond video game work?

"If the old man keeps having games made about him, I should get at least one decent one!"

One of the key focuses of a Batman Beyond game would be differentiating it from the more recent Batman games. Although it should still be true to the character and be dark overall, the atmosphere of this game might need to take a page out of the book of the 2099 Spider-Man levels from Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. Bright lights set against a dark background with Terry (voiced again by Will Friedle) constantly quipping at his foes or answering to Bruce (voiced again by Kevin Conroy) who is always talking about “the old days” and how he did things while he was Batman. All the while utilizing the Batsuit’s flying abilities to both get around and to complete missions. Terry’s Gotham should also be a sandbox that could allow for a lot of exploration of some of the seedier sections of town and so this doesn't become just a button mashing brawler and allow for some mission variety. == TEASER ==

Terry’s Batsuit has a lot of awesome features to it though beyond the flying. The camouflage feature on the suit could allow Terry to walk right up to a villain without him knowing and he could knock him out without having to worry about going all Sam Fisher in a level and sticking to the shadows. The camouflage could also be used to infiltrate certain areas to listen in on villain conversations or even hack a terminal without interference. This feature would need an overheat meter of some kind though, otherwise the game would be too easy as you could just turn invisible and walk through most of the game, similar to many people’s complaint about feeling a need to always have Detective Mode from Batman: Arkham Asylum on. You could also set up mini-games with the frequency monitors and lock picks that are featured in the gloves of Terry’s Batsuit.

"So, this is all gonna be mine one day, maybe i should start using it a bit more often."

To get the most out of these features you would need to put a bit more of an emphasis on information gathering and item collection though and that brings us to our plot of the game. It would need to have several layers to it that could put Terry and Bruce’s detective skills to the test. Maybe have Terry go back to the Batcave after finding new clues or defeating each villain and have it so that Terry could interact with a lot of the items in the cave, giving all Batman fans a bit of a cheap thrill as Terry explores the cave or uses the Batcomputer.

But one of the big problems that Terry has always faced is he has a rather paltry rogues gallery. So much so that he constantly has to resort to Bruce’s villains or variations thereof. The Joker and Mr. Freeze are the first two that come to mind in that category, but also Spellbinder and False-Face, although re-imagined and made much cooler than the late 1950s-60s versions Bruce fought, were originally his rogues. Even three issues into his new comic, the only villain Terry has fought was a new Matter Master, a Hawkman villain!

Cassius
     Cassius "Clay" Payne is one Bruce villain who could come back to haunt Terry.

Well, if Terry is going to rely on some of Bruce’s villains, especially since a lot of Terry’s have been killed off it seems (Shriek, Blight, Stalker), then this new game should center around one who has never really been explored, and it would be interesting to introduce him into Terry’s universe in a video game. Clayface V or Cassius “Clay” Payne.   Assuming that Basil Karlo and the other Clayfaces still age normally (although unlikely), one who would still be alive and most definitely be a threat in Terry’s time would be Cassius.

Since currently Cassius is really nothing more than a kid in current times and has never been explored very thoroughly, you could make him the diabolical mastermind that the other Clayfaces never really aspired to. With his shape-shifting ability, he could manipulate key events all around Gotham and hire other villains in various guises to throw off Bruce and Terry with it all culminating in one of the most epic boss battles ever. Hiring several of Terry’s more infamous (and still living) villains to keep him busy, Clayface could be lurking in the shadows, posing as or pulling the strings of politicians, the GCPD, and many others around Gotham as he forwards his agenda of eliminating the Batman from Gotham once and for all!

Inque is very similar to Clayface and could find a kindred spirit. 
     Inque is very similar to Clayface and could find a kindred spirit. 

So there is your main villain and definitely a twist that a lot of Batman fans would probably appreciate. But you’d need more villains than that of course to really make a decent comic book game. Before Clayface, Terry should have to face Inque, one of his most difficult opponents ever, but really just a hired gun who will provide the final piece of the puzzle when she reveals she attacked Batman for someone who she felt was a kindred spirit, as in both Inque and Clayface are shape-shifters who are more in tune with their villainous personas than their human sides.

Before he faces Inque though, Terry would have to take down Spellbinder, who is causing trouble because Clayface threw a lot of money his way. Really he should be nothing more than a diversion for Clayface’s master scheme, but he wouldn’t be Batman if he just let Spellbinder hypnotize people and suggest them to walk off rooftops or whatnot.

It seems a lot of Terry’s villains aren’t nearly as tragic or deep as many of the original Dark Knight’s though as the villains that lead up to Spellbinder are none other than the Royal Flush Gang, again because they were promised big pay days. Having five villains at once could lend itself to a variety of tasks and levels as you could have an epic end battle against all five at once, or the more likely scenario, of separating them and taking them down one at a time culminating in a still difficult boss battle with the android Ace, who could have several “modes” to him and take new forms as the battle progresses and he takes damage.

Could you imagine chasing them down in Terry's Batmobile?
     Could you imagine chasing them down in Terry's Batmobile?

Also, if you do face the Royal Flush Gang separately, and if the game was done in a sandbox, you could have one level where you have to chase down Jack or Ten on those hovercards they had in the cartoon and that would give a reason for something I wish you could use in more Batman games, the Batmobile. A Batman Beyond video game’s biggest difference to most other super hero video games is that Terry would have to use the Batmobile for certain levels like that one with the Royal Flush Gang, and it would be an option for him to get from point A to point B in Gotham if you didn’t want to explore on foot and with the Batsuit.

The opening of the game would be more of a tutorial mission as it’ll all start out with Terry chasing some Jokerz, who would then serve the rest of the game as your primary henchman for the other bosses due to their numbers and could even have more well known ones like Dee Dee, Woof, or J-Man serve as mini-bosses.

So there’s my take on a possible Batman Beyond video game. What would you do for a Batman Beyond video game? Would you try to add some more villains or levels? Should the game be a bit more linear and not a sandbox? Let us know by commenting below!

Avatar image for crimsonthunder1
    Crimson Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Crimson Thunder

Pretty Cool, I would definently play this game. Although, I think that a Batman Inc. Game Would be awsome.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bingbangboom

Would be interesting but considering the property is virtually "dead" with the cartoon no longer in production, I really doubt it. One idea though could be Batmen of different ages, might be interesting to play that game but I do agree Batman Beyond had the coolest designs and fancy tech that would feed a videogame well.

CasimirAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By CasimirAngel

I definitely agree.  I'd love the capabilities that Batman Beyond could have in a video game format.  As soon as I started reading the article, I started picturing Bruce providing hints and tips to Terry throughout stages on the screen.  And then, I started picturing all the suit features could have in gameplay.  Thinking about this is making me surprised that they haven't made this yet!  It'd be awesome!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

would think a "Batmen of different ages" or a Batman Inc. game would feel too much like Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions. 

this was an awesome show that never got to truly live up to its potential. they tried to bring it back with the comic miniseries but I felt it fell short of the mark because it was for fans of the show and didn't do anything to bring in new readers. 

a game however could and instead of comics to video games, what if it was video games to comics. use the game as the origin story for Terry McGinnis/Batman Beyond and this way the players are growing and learning along with the character himself. Plus this would afford the industry a way to revamp some concepts that didn't work for the show and enhance fan favorite material. 

the game would work really well with the style of Arkham Asylum/Arkham City but instead of moving around confined areas so have a massive city full of 50+ story buildings and underground slums with the ability to fly (though they should limit this to short bursts and gliding to make you use buildings and platforms as resting and push off spots), ability to stick to walls and camoflouge/invisibility. So not only can you move around the city in stealth but you can also freely walk around a hideout and set-up some awesome Assassin's Creed-style takedowns as you come out of camoflouge mode.
    Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mumbles

i would play a batman beyond game if it's as good as the new batman game

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

I would love to glide around Gotham, something similar to Spider-Man 2. Then battle it out with Mad Stan "blow it all up".
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

I like Terry!
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3
    @longbowhunter said:
    " I like Terry! "
    Who doesn't, like Terry? He's a better son too Bruce then Damian.
    COINRETURNSLOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By COINRETURNSLOT
    I don't play video games (because I am horrible at them) but if they did make a decent Batman Beyond game, I would have to pick it up. I love Terry.
    Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

should be like spiderman 2099 in spiderman shattered demensions

aruthlessg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aruthlessg

it seems like an ok idea, but i still like the green arrow game idea from last week

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Red Rum

I'd like to see us talk about the canceled Superman and Flash games.

Also, why do we have section for comic movies, but not comic games?

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wattup

This game would rock so hard. Surprised they didn't take advantage of the opportunity when the Revenge of the Joker movie came out.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Wattup:
    They did and it sucked, read the article
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mbecks14

He definitely had a video game for Game Boy. I remember playing it!

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Man of Lengend

oh hell yes

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By leokearon

There was a Batman Beyond game for the N64, based on the whole Joker storyline
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think a Flash game would be very good considering the straight foward use of his powers and the difficulty in controlling battles without the game constantly having to go into bullet time, which would get annoying. 

As for a Superman game....I know they've sucked so far but this is a character that still has alot of potential for video games. Aside from dealing with Supes invulnerability, I think a major problem (among many) has been limiting the game to Metropolis. This is Superman. The dude can go anywhere he wants. While obviously the game needs to have some structure, how cool would it be for a Superman game to actually encompass the whole world and even go to the moon. Tweak the flight controls, add in some God of War-style combat sequences and an original plot and Supes could have a game that people would actually play.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Red Rum said:
    " Also, why do we have section for comic movies, but not comic games? "
    Movies were added before we had Screened.com. There's no point in adding a comic games section since we have Giant Bomb for games.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Billy Batson
    lol @ the captions. the game would be cool!
    weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By weapon154

THEY SHOULD PUT IT IN THE MAINSTREAM UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By SuperXAsh

Well they've had one or two Batman Beyond games in the past... but yeah a new one would be awesome. I think a Spidey 2099-style approach would work. Maybe not as bright as Spidey 2099's world looked, cause Terry's world was always a little darker. 

Sadly I don't know if the chances are good for such a game though, because the cartoon's been long cancelled, and while the new comic has been well recieved, doesn't necessarily translate to the creation of games. You'd need some sorta hook to have a more mainstream Batman appear. Maybe something along the lines of "Return of Bruce Wayne", where Batman's being sent all over time and space and the 52 universe as opposed to history... or something like that one Brave and the Bold story where that one villain (Megistus i think) was running rampant throughout time. 

*shrugs*

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By TenEyedMen

I like the idea, but I don't think we should be limited to certain villains just because they were believed dead. I mean, Kraven was dead in the comics (before Grim Hunt), but it didn't stop him from appearing in Shattered Dimensions.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I'd like to see Terry McGinnis as Batman in a new game. Should it be done in Bruce Timm's style or a completely new style though? Sandbox game used to be lousy but since there is Assassins' Creed  Brotherhood which just about defines a sandbox open world game I have no doubt that it could be fantastic. 

ld12278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ld12278
    @weapon154:  Yes, if Power Girl from Earth-2 and Kingdom Come Superman from Earth-22 can be here, why can't Terry warp mosey on over from Earth-12?
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#26  Edited By StarKiller809

To be honest, I don't really like Terry. When I think about him I think about an old Bruce and I don't want Batman to get old!!!
    Avatar image for curbsideprophet
    CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CurbsideProphet

I noticed a huge surge in Batman Beyond lately(starting with my vs Spider-Man(I know that's not why but let me have it I'll feel important). Is he having a new comic? But yeah, I'd totally love to be Terry in-game.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I love the Batman beyound story.
    JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By JairamGanpat

I would love to play this game :D

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sammo21

I'll be honest, I think after Dark Knight Rises I would be down for some hot Batman Beyond action.

Gnomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gnomer

I for one would definitely play a game like that. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon though.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#32  Edited By Silkcuts

Terry is not the real Batman, Dick should have a video game before Terry.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By InnerVenom123

This would be so great.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GREGalicious

Some good ideas but it wouldnt be complete without the assassin CURARE'. I think shes really one of his most mysterious and deadly enemies and then lets not forget about the mysterious new CATWOMAN to just premiere in the comic...

Avatar image for crimsoninutears
    CrimsonInuTears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CrimsonInuTears

This woulda been a better idea while the ol series was runnin on a main tv station(well aware that it was picked up by the Hub recently). At this point, even though it is a comic, it's more of a nestalgic idea leadin back to the ol series, more than the current comic itself.
    Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Novemberx2

i could see this a sequel to Arkham city 

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would probably be free-roaming and operate on a nearly identical engine as Prototype, seeing as how Terry is more agile and augmented due to the suit's nano-tech specs. It would have a linear quality in plotted missions to keep it from becoming stale, like with GTA. And a talking dog.

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Band Lone
    @Silkcuts: I think Terry is more Batman than Dick 

Terry went straight to Batman just like Bruce and has his own spin-off world

Dick was a Flying Grayson, Robin, Nightwing, Renegade, and now Batman and the world in which he fights is Bruce's.. He had Bludhaven but he left   

I know Dick had been Batman before but that was temporary now its more official 
    blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By blur1528

I think they could pull off a sandbox. I would definitely buy a Batman Beyond game!

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Band Lone:  Terry was a marketing tool to bring in none comic book readers.  Dick has legacy.  He is one of the few Golden Age characters that has not "died" at least once.
    Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Band Lone
    @Silkcuts:  All characters are created with that marketing tool purpose so I really don't see the difference 

Is the reason why Spider-man is no longer married so that kids can relate to him again.. Although they did fail on that one because I dont think many kids ask the Devil any favors... Well maybe the emo ones but that's it 

The reason why Dick hasn't die is exactly for that reason.. They needed something to attract people and they thought Dick dying in the crisis was not that great of a deal because hes human. So they decided to kill a Kryptonian and it worked it brought in the readers looking for the death of Sboy.
    zrhodahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zrhodahero

I would totally buy this game.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Band Lone:  The point your are missing is that Dick is respected by long time comic book readers.  Terry was a TV character first for those who have never really followed comics.  It is a different demographic.  Dick is more important to the Batman mythos then any other character after Bruce himself, Dick is most deserving for any sort of special treatment, from a video game to his own t-shirts.  Terry is not the real Batman, in Morrison's universe Terry is not Bats, Lil' Wayne is.  Terry is not family, Dick was the first adopted son.
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@Silkcuts: Yes, Terry IS Bats in Morrison's work. But Damian is his mentor. It was in Batman #700.
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shaanyboi

Man, a Batman Beyond game would be AWESOME

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Band Lone

Terry is Batman and Terry is family because he is Bruce's genetic kid.. If they changed it in the comics then shame on them for changing the source material

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47  Edited By kennybaese

I think that the fact that some of Terry's villains are dead in current continuity shouldn't mean they can't be used in a Batman Beyond game. Arkham Asylum and Arkham city are both completely ignoring comic book continuity and that didn't stop Asylum, and probably City, from being completely awesome.  

Also, this game could be pretty good. Using the suit flight to get around the city with the Batmobile directly controlled for some missions and used as a quick transit would be cool. 

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Silkcuts
    @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " @Silkcuts: Yes, Terry IS Bats in Morrison's work. But Damian is his mentor. It was in Batman #700. "
    Crap, I was hoping someone who was reading comics won't point it out.  But I am still staying with the point, Dick is more important. Only people who watched the TV show before reading comics faithfully care about Terry more then Dick.
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grubich

All you Grayson fans have to admit though, a Batman Beyond game would be awesome, and you would buy and play it 'cause you are obviously Batman fans just for commenting on this page.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@Silkcuts said:
    " @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " @Silkcuts: Yes, Terry IS Bats in Morrison's work. But Damian is his mentor. It was in Batman #700. "
    Crap, I was hoping someone who was reading comics won't point it out.  But I am still staying with the point, Dick is more important. Only people who watched the TV show before reading comics faithfully care about Terry more then Dick. "
    Come on man. I'm a huge Batman Beyond fan and a huge Morrison fan. Terry's cameo in #700 was a huge moment of joy for me XD 
    Yeah, Dick is more important, and Terry's sadly mostly riding that wave of TV fandom, but at the same time, his miniseries sold extremely well, proving he has a fanbase, and plus, Terry is known only as Batman. Dick's tenure as Batman has only been about a year and a half, and he has long respected runs as Robin and Nightwing. But I;m just jumping in right here so I might be missing the point of the argument. I just had to be 'that guy' to point out Terry's part in Morrison's Batman. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.