is it just me?

#1 Posted by courtney12490 (3477 posts) - - Show Bio

it it me or do other people think that Dodson draws all of the girls veryyyy similar?    
#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not just you.  Unfortunately, that can also be said for most comic book artists.  Andy Kubert's art on X-Men in the 90's was especially bad for it (towards the end of his tun, his male characters had the same facial features as some of his female characters).  Around the same time, Marvel editors were changing Chris Bachalo's art work, because they didn't like the way he was drawing the X-Men in Uncanny.  He was trying to make them look distinct, have unique faces... yet they didn't like the Roman nose he gave Angel, and various other little touches. 

It's a shame, because to be a comic book artist you need to be consistent and quick.  There's little pressure to look unique, therefore a lot of artists (like Dodson) resort to using the same frame & looks for everyone.

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91368 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Dodson is an amazing artist.I loved his work on Wonder Woman,X-men everything.

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm further elaborating on my OP. Dodson merely annoyed me at the time this was posted. At this point in time, I can't freaking stand his art. It's bad and Rachel's inking makes it look even worse. I've glanced over his stuff from Wonder Woman and it definitely wasn't as bad, so I'm attributing me tolerating that art to the colorist and inker. Because right now it's really really bad. If it wasn't Uncanny X-Men or another book that I read religiously I'd have dropped it already. 

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

if you think about it most artist have mabye 4-5 generic body designs and thats all they ever use.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91368 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see anything wrong with this.....

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Men #520 by Terry Dodson - 2009

WildCATS/X-Men: Modern Age By Adam Hughes - 1997

#8 Posted by SC (13307 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Dodson... this thread is mean, that being said, who is this character? 

#9 Posted by A_O_N (352 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see anything wrong with referencing someone else's work. It's not like he traced over it or something. Dodson is one of my favorites.

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: That's probably the best work I've seen from them to date. I don't hate it. 

Moderator Online
#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91368 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" I like Dodson... this thread is mean, that being said, who is this character? 

"
Is that supposed to Magneto?
#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I suppose he does, but I like it because they all look so good.
#13 Posted by StarKiller809 (1239 posts) - - Show Bio

Me and my brother anyways say that! When we see Emma Frost we joke and say "When did Wonder Woman go blonde?" or the other way around. At least it good art
#14 Edited by War Killer (20376 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally love Dodson's art, he one of my favorite artists. I do see how people may get annoyed by some of his women looking the same (which some do at times I will admit) but it's never really bothered me really, but hey that's just me :P

I just wish he'd move on to other books like Avengers instead of being on the X-Men titles all the time, I'd love to see his work spread out into other Marvel titles more. :)

#15 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18858 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it depends on which character he draws. Some look really good, while others are.. ugh.. lol

#16 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

When he's on the ball he does some awesome stuff, but sometimes, usually on his interiors he gets sloppy and everyone might as well be a clone. He's got a nice unique style though. He's not that bad imo, but definitely not my favorite. 

#17 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his work. David Finch however... everyone he draws looks Russian with the exception of anyone wearing a mask. Its mostly in his interior art.

#18 Posted by SC (13307 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  *nods* Yep. BTW, like the Kitty picture they did that you posted. My favorite Shadowcat picture like, for last couple of years. 

@doordoor123:  IMHO, drawing Warlock to look Russian takes mad skills. 
#19 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  Really? Its a nice picture but i dont think it looks like kitty at all.
#20 Posted by SC (13307 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
" @SC:  Really? Its a nice picture but i dont think it looks like kitty at all. "

That big giant alien bullet changed her in ways... ways that change people. I hear Colossus is happy with the new look though so nyeh *shrugs* 
#21 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @doordoor123 said:
" @SC:  Really? Its a nice picture but i dont think it looks like kitty at all. "

That big giant alien bullet changed her in ways... ways that change people. I hear Colossus is happy with the new look though so nyeh *shrugs* 
"
What? Hahaha. Im not saying she has a different look since she came back. That one picture doesnt look like her.
#22 Posted by SC (13307 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
"What? Hahaha. Im not saying she has a different look since she came back. That one picture doesnt look like her. "

lulz. I thought you were saying that Magneto looked like Kitty and *ominous music* was Kitty. Thats definitely looking different to how she use to... 
#23 Posted by stambo42 (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

It's not just you. Unfortunately, that can also be said for most comic book artists. Andy Kubert's art on X-Men in the 90's was especially bad for it (towards the end of his tun, his male characters had the same facial features as some of his female characters). Around the same time, Marvel editors were changing Chris Bachalo's art work, because they didn't like the way he was drawing the X-Men in Uncanny. He was trying to make them look distinct, have unique faces... yet they didn't like the Roman nose he gave Angel, and various other little touches. It's a shame, because to be a comic book artist you need to be consistent and quick. There's little pressure to look unique, therefore a lot of artists (like Dodson) resort to using the same frame & looks for everyone.

Which Uncanny issues are these with Bachalo? You seem to be implying it's some time in the 90s? I'll take him any time, any form, but I super love the stuff he did in Generation Next, along with the other early Gen X books. There was a little more time in his figures than, and in the faces as well. Even with his more economical way of drawing people these days, he tells a lot with face expressions... way more subtly than most comic artists... but I love those early books. If this was before his "economical" phase... I feel compelled to hunt it down.

#24 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@stambo42: It was his very early Uncanny X-Men work, #345 - 360 (ish, I'm not 100% sure on the exact issue numbers).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.