Follow

Terminator

Character » Terminator appears in 197 issues.

The Terminator is a cybernetic military infiltration unit. Expert in all types of weapons has a large amount of strength. It can speak naturally and copy human voices, as well as other abilities. The Terminator comes in many forms; however, the T-800 seems to be the most iconic design.

Terminator Rights Go To... Pacificor?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Whoa… I did not see this one coming.  

Out of all the bidders looking to “make the fate” of the Terminator series and win the franchise rights from the Halycon Company, it wasn’t Sony Pictures nor Lionsgate that walked away with the keys to Cyberdyne.   It was…

..the Pacificor hedge fund?

I really wish this was one of the guys bidding...
     I really wish this was one of the guys bidding...

Nikki Finke just broke the news, and the story of the five-hour-long auction’s as intense as the future war itself (I’m sure HBO will do a cable-only movie about it in ten years).   Halcyon and Pacificor seem about as bitterly opposed as John Connor and Skynet.   Pacificor was the creditor that pushed Halcyon into bankruptcy and Halcyon later demanded $30 million in damages in a suit, crying “extortion, bribery and fraud.”   So, it doesn’t seem like too great a coincidence that the franchise rights sold for $29.5 million, just half-a-mil shy of those damages fees.

Mini-guns may have factored into the auction...
     Mini-guns may have factored into the auction...

There’s really no precedent to judge Pacificor by.   It isn’t a studio with prior credits to assess, nor statements to evaluate like the one an anonymous Lionsgate employee made to Finke.

"We're going to fight one hell of a fight [for the rights.]  [Lionsgate plans for] a complete re-boot, back to basics, with real emotional stories, and effects that will be secondary.”

Truth be told, the prospect of rebooting the franchise and bringing it back to basics doesn't sound that appealing to me, either. I'd rather see another chapter in the future war, but there's really no point in speculating either way at this point.

This is the newest knot in the Terminator series' already-complicated tapestry of rights and ownership.  I recall one of the reasons it took seven years for T2 to get made after the first movie was the difficulty producer Mario Kassar had securing the rights from the now-defunct Hemdale Pictures to get the sequel produced at Carolco (which is now defunct, too).  You'll notice, as well, that each movie is licensed separately, explaining why you a THE TERMINATOR comic from one publisher and a TERMINATOR 2 comic from another.  Its almost as convoluted as the movies' time travel-paradoxes.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dementedtheclown

What movies they made thus far?

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @dementedtheclown said:

"What movies they made thus far? "

The havent their a big investemnt firm ."Pacificor is a registered investment advisor that manages several hedge funds focused on high yield debt. Our investors are high net worth individuals and institutions.

We are very proud of our strong performance record. Please contact us for a copy of our results.

Minimum investment is $1,000,000." from 

http://www.pacificor.com/about.html         

Im thinking the resale it with over time higer profits odds are.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Chane

Erm.... who? Well.. ok then.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I wish Marvel got the rights then they could make a movie like this
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3

I just hope the new Terminator film's will be more horror and rated-R.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By King_Saturn
    Terminator 5 needs to have the T-1000 in it...
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Moomin123

I hope the next Terminator film re-introduces the T-1000. Also, I hope that if there is a T-1000, then it's played by Robert Patrick.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By They Killed Cap!

...i hope this dosen't kill the chances for another movie or two.
    Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By heroic_warrior76

The new "Terminator Movie" is not as cool when "Arnold Schwarzenegger" is still it's main hero "Christian Bale" is an awesome "Batman" but suck as a "Terminator Movie" main hero and so is "Avatar" main hero "Sam Worthington", I think "The Terminator Movie Series" will still get even worst in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.