Follow

Terminator

Character » Terminator appears in 196 issues.

The Terminator is a cybernetic military infiltration unit. Expert in all types of weapons has a large amount of strength. It can speak naturally and copy human voices, as well as other abilities. The Terminator comes in many forms; however, the T-800 seems to be the most iconic design.

Terminator at Sony?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

A storm may brewing in the clouds behind the Columbia lady... 

See? In those clouds, right there...
     See? In those clouds, right there...

Sony Pictures has “quietly” entered the bidding war to purchase all the Terminator franchise rights from the Halcyon Company.

You know, now, why I cry.
     You know, now, why I cry.

The last news regarding this was the announcement of Lionsgate taking the first stab at owning the franchise, with a “stalking horse” bid.    I’m no expert on the legalities of an auction - - I don’t even watch Antiques Roadshow (what?) - - but, remarkably, that sort of bid has nothing to do with a  heavy-breathing appaloosa making crank calls.  It seems to mean that, because Lionsgate made a floor bid of $15 mil, it’ll receive a break-up fee from the winner to the tune of $750 grand.

I almost had to turn this down.   If there were ever an article that put me into a conflict of interest, it’d be the future of TerminatorT2: JUDGMENT DAY is my all-time favorite movie.   I’ve seen it probably a hundred times.   I’ve watched all the behind-the-scenes features and listened to all the commentaries on both the Ultimate and Extreme editions DVDs.   I’ve owned the Brad Fiedel score on CD. I’m that scary breed of “hardcore fan” G-Man warned the world  about in his review of TERMINATOR: SALVATION.

DA-DA DA DA-DA. DA-DA DA DA-DA.
     DA-DA DA DA-DA. DA-DA DA DA-DA.

So I was tremendously frustrated when I saw the McG-helmed sequel last May - - mainly because it got so many details right.   John Connor teaming up with a teen Kyle Reese? Cool!   The irony of John having to save his own father, before Reese goes back to save his mother and then Sarah goes on to save John himself as a kid? Genius!   The bulky, awkward, mean, couldn’t-fool-anybody-with-its-disguise look of the T-600? Awesome!

The undelivered prospect of this future being different than the one John was warned about? Frustrating!   The sheer amount of screentime given to uninteresting would-be lead, Marcus Wright? Annoying!   The fact that, with all the things they could’ve done with this ripe mythology, they went with such a modestly-scoped plot? Maddening!

I need to stop… * HUFF * Just read the CHUD article.

I want to think that, if a machine can learn the value of human life, there can be a good sequel eventually.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

Not a big fan of Terminator... so whatever!
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrCipher

@Tom Pinchuck 
    I noticed that you had no words for the 3rd movie in the series. Whats your take on Nick Stahl, Claire Daines and an obviously aging Ah-nold? I feel like it was contrived myself. Considering how far our technology has advanced in the last 2 and a half decades, to see a terminator with wi-fi access to the world's myriad databases seemed like watching Star Trek: Enterprise or the Star Wars prequels with advanced tech that seems completely out of place considering the scope of the series so far. Seems like the terminatrix in the 3rd installment was what Robert Patrick's T-2000 should have been. I'm not busting on Judgement Day though, the movie was good and I enjoyed it very much.
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By skaarason

i really like all 4 films , and would for sure see more 

Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aerik

What's a terminator???

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moomin123
    @skaarason said:
    "i really like all 4 films , and would for sure see more  "

Me too.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Moomin123
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

called it that there would be other bids. any company would be foolish not to try and pick up this franchise
    just for the merchandising rights alone.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @MrCipher said:
    "
    @Tom Pinchuck 
    I noticed that you had no words for the 3rd movie in the series. Whats your take on Nick Stahl, Claire Daines and an obviously aging Ah-nold? I feel like it was contrived myself. Considering how far our technology has advanced in the last 2 and a half decades, to see a terminator with wi-fi access to the world's myriad databases seemed like watching Star Trek: Enterprise or the Star Wars prequels with advanced tech that seems completely out of place considering the scope of the series so far. Seems like the terminatrix in the 3rd installment was what Robert Patrick's T-2000 should have been. I'm not busting on Judgement Day though, the movie was good and I enjoyed it very much. "

lol i have no idea what you are trying to say, something just isnt processing right in my head.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Sparda

I like this Mr. Pinchuk. He's alright. He said everything that I was thinking regarding TS. Good stuff.

I want a good T5, damn it, and I want it soon.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

took me only a few minutes to decide.
    i was already leaning towards Sony because i think they can bring a heavier array of 
    resources to the film, and give it a stronger video game based line as well. but now im sold
    on Sony and for one reason. Sony owns MGM, who in turn owns Orion, making them the ones who
    hold the rights to Robocop, which could finally open the doors for this...

No Caption Provided
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrCipher
    @DEGRAAF:
    LOL ok let me try to break it down: 

By the time the 1st terminator is going to be created in the "future" we will have passed from dial up modems to wi fi high speed downloading & possibly beyond.... 
    Yet the first terminator (Arnold) is really just a glorified brute with no clue about any of that tech. It's a standard 80s sci-fi laser gun-toting robot thats nearly-impossible to kill.  
    In the 2nd movie, the T-2000 (liquid metal) terminator can take other people's appearances, & change it's form to slip through bars, gratings, holes in walls etc. but still no wi-fi, on board modem, etc.  
    In 1991, we did have the internet -even though it sucked in comparison to what we have today.
    Then all of a sudden, in T3, the terminatrix (female terminator) has the abilities of the T-2000 AND can access the net remotely AND can hack into databases (military & civilian) without a problem.
    So I'm supposed to believe that in the T2 time period the military wasn't using wi-fi & did not have worldwide databases? It's a proven fact that much of the technology we take for granted has military origins stemming from the 80s that has been altered for public consumption. It's not hard to imagine that they have been using wi-fi tech for a long time.
    IF the technology to remotely access databases & such was lost after the Skynet war, how does the T3 terminatrix all of a sudden possess the ability? And if the technology was NOT lost after the war, how is it that the other 2 terminators were not outfitted with the ability? (Other than the fact that the public at large had not seen that sort of tech yet in the real world). Since I stated that the T-1000 was a brute, I can forgive it for being nothing but that, but the liquid metal Robert Patrick version should have been much more computer-savvy, OR the terminatirx should have been much less wi-fi capable.

It's the same as with the Star Trek & Star Wars prequels, everything in those movies/tv series was obviously much more advanced than what was shown in the original series/films without regard for consistency (i.e: all the super-shiny Naboo tech in the 3 Star Wars prequels, & the "real-world" technology plus phasers & photon torpedos of the new Enterprise series compared to the "silver carboard & plastic boxes with all those pretty blinking lights" tech of the original Star Trek series). Most writers/directors seem to mostly-ignore what came before & therefore tear apart any notion of consistency in favor of the latest & flashiest concepts &technical advances based on real-world references rather than on the fictional world from where their movies/tv series originate.
    - Thats all I am really saying (even though it took a lot to write it all out)
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrCipher: 
    its because of when the movie was made obviously. your thinking about it way too much.
    like in the movie Blade Runner the characters had to use payphones in the future you know?
    hell, rollerblades were a technological advancement in that movie, and yet they had engineered lifeforms
    Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Chane

I do sort of think, "let it lay for a bit"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I have loved all 4 movies... 3 being the lowest on this list but I thought it was good. I would hate to see this franchise go to waste.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NightFang3
    @Moomin123 said:
    "@skaarason said:
    "i really like all 4 films , and would for sure see more  "
    Me too. "
                 Me 3.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "took me only a few minutes to decide.
    i was already leaning towards Sony because i think they can bring a heavier array of 
    resources to the film, and give it a stronger video game based line as well. but now im sold
    on Sony and for one reason. Sony owns MGM, who in turn owns Orion, making them the ones who
    hold the rights to Robocop, which could finally open the doors for this...

"

True but but if some how fox dont get it no aliens vs predators vs terminators oh my .. Dark horse earth.An wasnt those robocop temrnators in the book awsome or what.
    Jediknightjace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jediknightjace

T2 and Terminator: Salvation are my favorites, and I didn't dislike the other two. I hope whoever gets the franchise keeps up the good work (and keeps the movies PG-13 from now on).

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No_name_here
    @MrCipher:  What did I think of T3?  I thought it was solid and entertaining,  a fun enough way to get from point B to point D, but the whole thing was vastly inferior in every regard to T2.  I did like the notion of Connor being aimless and unrealized without Judgment Day and the concept of the TX addressing the design flaws of the T800 and T1000 and being created specifically to terminate and reprogram rogue terminators.  All in all, I'd say the biggest problem I had with it was that it felt really defanged in comparison to the previous T2.  The filmstock was too warm, the locations were too clean and there really wasn't that sense of harsh aggression you need in a terminator movie. 

About the anachronisms and paradoxes.   I never really had a problem reconciling those. To me, time travel movies really only matter in regard to the protagonist's personal perspective.  So the timeline can warp many times as long as Connor's "present" is consistent.  

I'd break it down that T3 works better middle of the road.  It doesn't do anything too exciting, but it has a sensible beginning, middle and end. T4 is defined by extremes -- its scenes either really good or really bad, and it's not really the sum of its parts in the end.

I do think it's ridiculous that both films barely use Brad Fiedel's musical leit motifs. Ask even a casual movie fan what they like about Terminator and they'll usually say, "The music," among other things.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_name_here
    @CATMANEXE: That mini's got to be the best movie cross-over.  Miller and Simonson at the top of their game, totally riffing on the premise to do wild, ripping, over-the-top yarn. 
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @They Killed Cap! said:
    " I have loved all 4 movies... 3 being the lowest on this list but I thought it was good. I would hate to see this franchise go to waste. "

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.