MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

TEN GRAND forges ahead, this time bringing us closer to Joe by revealing more about his past. In the wake of last month's deadly ending-and-beginning for Joe, there's some reflecting to do.

In case it hasn't hit yet, the cycle is really important here, and Straczynski throws us some allusions to really drive the point home. The "Mother And Child Reunion" mention is especially clever; couching a chicken-and-egg comparison in a Paul Simon reference makes it a more natural part of the dialogue, but doesn't go so subtle as to miss the point. Dropping things back to an older flavor of pop culture, the Divine Comedy imagery is heavy (and has been since Issue #1). Laura is Joe's heavenly Beatrice, and he's caught in the worst sort of Purgatorial cycle on his way to her. TEN GRAND has the unexpected side effect of making me want to catch up on my Dante.

The flashback sequence has the emotional impact of a hammer wrapped in velvet; on the surface, it's a sweet memory of Joe's courtship of Laura, but every piece of their story -- from his overzealous gifts to win her affection to his genuine change in nature (and career) -- shows just how important this woman is. Since we're in pulpy noir territory, that naturally means that something awful is about to happen to her, and we learn that things are worse than just the pain of five-minutes-in-heaven (he's even shorted the proverbial seven by two minutes!) followed by grueling duty until next-death.

I waxed poetic about it in my review of Issue #1, but I'm still fascinated by the art on this book. It's so textured, so infused with emotion, so right for this story. Stylistically, it's anything but mainstream, but this isn't exactly a mainstream book, and I'd probably be disappointed with anything other than Templesmith's gorgeous, evocative painting.

The Bad

The morgue sequence felt off; it's clear from the soul-stone-destroying power blast that there was something significant going on, but I can't really discern what that was supposed to be. Up until the moment of the surge, it seemed like the morgue was going to be a dead end, and I can't help but feel like Joe's attempt to communicate with Sarah's soul echo was a waste of time. (Sound off in the comments if you see something in this that I didn't; I'm fully prepared to be wrong here!)

The Verdict

It all comes down to the last five pages. They're beautiful to look at, and they're a game-changer for the story; a slow-motion sequence of the stakes raising even higher for Joe. I have to find out what's next, because this isn't flashback, this isn't resolved, and if they've done nothing else, JMS and Templesmith have gotten me really attached to Laura and her ending.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#1  Edited By Fenderxx

Totally agree, the last 5 pages are beautiful ! As for the morgue, I didnt really think of it as a waste of time, more of just detective work , that leads to a dead end, but it also shows some more of his ability to communicate with the dead, and the way he did it I bet will come back in another issue in a big way, and this was more of a set up. That is just my theory tho, great review !

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

My favorite book this week. We really got to know Joe and Laura here and that makes it all the more tragic. This has become one of the titles I most look forward to every month.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This books continues to kill it. Noting what was said in the comments of issue 1, they'll continue to tell the story as long as its relevant. This story broadens and deepens with each issue, hopefully indicating the necessity of more than just a 5 or 6 issue mini-series.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
    RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

@longbowhunter said:

My favorite book this week. We really got to know Joe and Laura here and that makes it all the more tragic. This has become one of the titles I most look forward to every month.

Same here. ComicVine seriously needs to do more to evangelize this book.

cepewell31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my co-worker's sister makes $77 an hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for 10 months but last month her pay was $14933 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site ======WEP6.COM======

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By _Marc_74

Really enjoying this story and art.

I hope it holds up for 10 issues in this arc.

Cant wait to read this one. Maybe delivered tomorrow

LOVE IT

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

The art is acceptable, but I really love the story.

Avatar image for lauren12saldiva
    lauren12saldiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as Bonnie implied I am taken by surprise that a student can profit $4124 in 1 month on the computer. did you look at this site link ............... www.Jam10.com

Miya12q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Miya12q

what Nancy answered I'm surprised that a mom able to profit $7371 in 1 month on the computer. have you read this link Go to site and open Home for details

>>>>>> WWW.JOBS31.COM

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Love this book, things are about to get real in the coming issues.

Avatar image for marjori71726095
    marjori71726095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By marjori71726095

My co-worker's step-aunt makes $78 an hour on the computer. She has been without a job for five months but last month her income was $15442 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site... www.Jam10.com

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Loving this book more and more

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.