TMNT "The Wrath of Tiger Claw"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Christopher Yost has the honor of writing all about Tiger Claw's return! This episode isn't just about the cool new villain, though. This week's chapter also juggles a very important plot: Karai's search for the truth.

First and foremost, I have to praise the episode's big action scene between Tiger Claw and the team. There's a heavy emphasis on stealth and the way it's directed is both brilliant and badass. It's a nice reminder of how fearsome the group can be, even in a show that needs to appeal to all ages. Then when the melee begins, it's superbly fast and doesn't slow down one bit. It was a ridiculously pleasing scene and has some memorable bits. You can't help but love when they utilize slow motion at just the right time, too.

The Wrath of Tiger Claw also does a solid job juggling each of the main characters. They technically aren't the primary focus in this story, but they still get plenty of time to shine and deliver some dialogue which rings true to each of them. I never found myself laughing out loud like I have with other episodes, but Donatello, Casey Jones, and Raphael do have a few very amusing lines. Sometimes characters can get left behind as the focus shifts to someone else, but this one definitely does a nice job making sure each of them have at least a moment or two in the spotlight.

The Karai plot has the potential to bring major change to show's universe, so to watch it finally take some big steps forward was very satisfying. Seeing as we've known the truth for so long now, it takes away a bit from the emotional hit the development is meant to deliver. Still, it's exciting to think about what these developments will produce and it generated a nice little bit of wisdom from Master Splinter.

The explanation behind Tiger Claw's return is given the "comic book" storytelling treatment and it's an exciting way to convey just how much this guy has really been through. It's so fun when they get to expand this universe and this gave us a nice little tease of where he's been and what he's had to endure. This style of storytelling tends to be reserved for origin stories, but it was a great fit in this case. Additionally, Tiger Claw plays a game of cat and Casey mouse with Casey Jones and it's thoroughly enjoyable. A fight between these would would obviously be all kinds of unfair, so it was exciting to see Jones stay on the move and try to remain just out of reach. Although, it was a little odd how one scene cut from Casey apparently having no means of escape to him once again being on the run.

The Wrath of Tiger Claw is a hugely entertaining experience. Thanks to some clever directing and a nice variety of action scenes, the episode's consistently enthralling and never really slows down. The laughs may not be as strong as some of the other episodes, but it's still a big dose of fun and produces some major plot development.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

(WARNING:This comment contains spoilers!)

Aw yeah! The vicious Tiger Claw is back and with a vengeance. This time he is going after the turtles closes friends as revenge from the events in 'Wormquake'. Shredder has chosen Karai (who at the time is questioning whether if what Leo told her in a recent episode is true or not) to accompany him on his vengeful mission, due to her knowledge of the turtles. While on the mission she claims that she is confident in what Leo told her is true and has the turtles and April take her back to their lair to confront Splinter. Splinter shows her apicture of her mother and him with a baby who is clearly Karai. She is completely dumbfounded, shocked and most importantly: completely convinced that Splinter, Hamoto Yoshi, is her biological father. She then helps the turtles fight Tiger Claw in one of the most epic battles I've seen on the show in awhile. In the pursuit of battle Tiger Claw escapes with Karai and brings her back to Shredder who confirms that Splinter is indeed her father. She is then locked away for her betrayal. This episode is definitely now one of my favorites, it had every thing a turtle fan wants out of an TMNT episode: great storyline, good action and suspense. My favorite part has to be the battle between Tiger Claw, the turtles and Karai, it was so AWESOME. I'm also really happy that Karai learned the truth about Splinter. I'm hoping now she'll now join the turtles because that would be very cool.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Golden Cod

My only gripe with the episode is that Irma's appearances are feeling repetitive - each time she's ditched by Casey and April with no further involvement in the story. The writers seem to be taking pains to include her but she hasn't actually played a role except in the Rat King episode.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

Saw it and liked it. Kinda wonder how Casey manages to last so long agains these extensively trained ninja mutants though.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Don't see how I spoiled anything, when it was announced a few episodes back that (SPOILER ALERT): Karai is Splinter's biological daughter. Plus, who the hell reads a review without watching the episode first? -_-

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I love how Mikey came up with a good plan in this episode, twice!

1. Knowing how they can use their phones to locate Casey
    2. Realizing they should lead Tiger Claw to the meatpacking plant, since it would cancel out his enhanced smell
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekyeverafter: dude, you basically summarized the entire f@&$ing episode. You revealed more about what Karai does in the episode then the actual review?As for people who read the review before the episode:

1.People who missed the episode

2.People who are unsure about whether they want to watch the show or not and want to get others opinions

Why the hell do you think the release movie reviews BEFORE they actually make it into the theaters.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@geekyeverafter: dude, you basically summarized the entire f@&$ing episode. You revealed more about what Karai does in the episode then the actual review?As for people who read the review before the episode:

1.People who missed the episode

2.People who are unsure about whether they want to watch the show or not and want to get others opinions

Why the hell do you think the release movie reviews BEFORE they actually make it into the theaters.

Kinda agree with X-Bolt on this one. That's the purpose of a review. TO suggest to people what someone thinks of a movie BEFORE it comes out. I mean... most people won't be like "Wow! I really enjoyed that! Now I'm going to go and see what a complete stranger thinks!"

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Do you have any idea of how many people summarize the movie/episode in their review? Lots of em'. Why? Because most people who read reviews don't care about spoilers and it serves as a reminder of the events that happened in the episode. You're acting like I spoiled an highly anticipated movie or something. Like said in my previous reply: these aren't major spoilers. And if it makes you feel any better I put a spoiler warning above the comment, if you didn't notice.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I really enjoyed this episode, well balanced and paced all the way through. I wonder what happened to the other Turtles when they faced Tiger Claw though...

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekyeverafter: thank you for putting it up and I'm sorry for making such a big deal about it. I just feel that it's easier and worth it to just put it up.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that rapheal is being an a**hole in this episode

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was great to see Tiger Claw return in comic book form and the writers appropriately summarized how he returned without excessive exposition. Tiger Claw is likely going to be a long lasting antagonist and I am glad that he has been established as a formidable foe to the turtles and ally to Shredder. Shredder seriously needs to make up his mind about forgiving those who failed him though.

One thing that bothered me about the episode is Casey's protracted escape from Tiger Claw. I know Casey is supposed to be somewhat competent, but he is not a trained fighter at all and he seems to last way too long in these battles. Longer than April for sure. Perhaps Casey's antics would be believable if both Casey and April were being trained by Splinter.

Leo's decision to show Karai to the lair was baffling. That was not the decision of a leader with a clear head. I will shrug it off as Leo desperately wanting Karai to be good because he likes her. Plots would rarely develop if characters only made good decisions.

Splinter's reaction was well acted. Of course he knew that Karai was being deceitful, but that was his first opportunity to really show her the truth, and he made good use of it. Splinter's words of wisdom to Karai were also very good and accurately described her situation. Raph also got a funny line out of it.

I highly anticipate the concluding episodes of this season. Things are likely going to be different going into season 3.

@aeroman said:

Am I the only one that rapheal is being an a**hole in this episode

Leonardo, the leader and supposedly wisest person of the group, invited their main enemy into their secret lair after said enemy made one statement about switching sides. I don't think Raph was wrong in the way he chastised Leo at all.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By w0nd

I got chills, when they were running through the sewers, it was the same tune that played in tmnt 1 where they were training i believe on the farm, or when they are driving back to the sewer from the farm. i cant remember.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Golden Cod

@lurkero said:

Leo's decision to show Karai to the lair was baffling. That was not the decision of a leader with a clear head. I will shrug it off as Leo desperately wanting Karai to be good because he likes her. Plots would rarely develop if characters only made good decisions.

I feel like Leo's romanticized Karai since their first encounter and his actions are consistent with the episode Karai proposed an alliance against the Kraang: he brought her into the Shell Raiser via the stealth cycle and his brothers chewed him out over it.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome show

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I predict Karai will be mutated into a turtle and she'll take on the name Venus de Milo.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

That fight with Tigher Claw was awesome, I love when the turtles stop cracking jokes and get to business goin' into "ninja mode''. Striking fast and hard and not making a sound.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

My only gripe with the episode is that Irma's appearances are feeling repetitive - each time she's ditched by Casey and April with no further involvement in the story. The writers seem to be taking pains to include her but she hasn't actually played a role except in the Rat King episode.

It seems like an ongoing joke at this point. But yeah, hopefully she'll get some focus soon enough.

@lvenger said:

I really enjoyed this episode, well balanced and paced all the way through. I wonder what happened to the other Turtles when they faced Tiger Claw though...

I viewed it as the team using hit and run tactics (except for Raph) since they knew none of them could hold their own. That's why Mikey tried to bolt after his attack failed and Tiger Claw got his paws on him. Or at least that's how I viewed it.

@lurkero said:

One thing that bothered me about the episode is Casey's protracted escape from Tiger Claw. I know Casey is supposed to be somewhat competent, but he is not a trained fighter at all and he seems to last way too long in these battles. Longer than April for sure. Perhaps Casey's antics would be believable if both Casey and April were being trained by Splinter.

Understandable, but I didn't mind either of those things. Casey was on the run the entire time and when he wasn't, it was clear he stood zero chance. As for Leo, they've shown he definitely has his blinders on when it comes to Karai. He's a little too optimistic with her, so it was in character for him to be thrilled that she finally "believes" them.

That fight with Tigher Claw was awesome, I love when the turtles stop cracking jokes and get to business goin' into "ninja mode''. Striking fast and hard and not making a sound.

Hell yes it was! Excellent directing, too.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@k4tzm4n: Did you catch the Predator 2 reference?

Also does Casey not own any clean clothes? lol

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm ashamed to say a potential Predator 2 reference went past me. What was it?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

The meatlocker part? Or at least that's what I thought they were trying to reference.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

The meatlocker part? Or at least that's what I thought they were trying to reference.

Sure, I can see that as a reference (they were there to cancel Pred's vision, and here, it was for TC's scent) but the thought didn't cross my mind while watching.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@k4tzm4n said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Sure, I can see that as a reference (they were there to cancel Pred's vision, and here, it was for TC's scent) but the thought didn't cross my mind while watching.

And the bit when Tiger cuts a frozen beef chunk in half like bred does with his frisbee

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Good episode. Can't wait to see what happens next

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested to see how the development with Karai will continue. Tiger Claw is shaping up to be Shredder's right hand man.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm interested to see how the development with Karai will continue. Tiger Claw is shaping up to be Shredder's right hand man.

Here's hoping there's some tension between him and Rahzar... would love to see a little skirmish between them.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Excellent reply Gregg but I was actually referring to the 1980s Turtles that Tiger Claw faced in that comic book flashback. I wonder if Tiger Claw left your childhood favourite incarnation of the TMNT intact :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lvenger: According to the head writer/story editor, Tiger Claw killed them :-O

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@lvenger: According to the head writer/story editor, Tiger Claw killed them :-O

WHAT? Aw man, that sucks :( How'd you get that answered, on Twitter?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By danhimself

finally got around to watching this episode.....the big fight at the end was done just amazingly!! The scene while they're in the meat locker and it the chunks of meat are swinging back and forth and the turtles are disappearing behind them as they swing was amazing....this is an excellent example of what the Turtles are truly capable of for all the people who doubt their skill

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.