Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Invasion"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Invasion, Season Two's hour-long finale, is epic. Yes, the word "epic" gets tossed around a lot and it tends to lose its significance, but if you've been really enjoying Nick's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you're most definitely going to have a blast with this one. It's action-packed from beginning to end, full of nods to previous versions of the TMNT franchise, and there's a surprising amount of heart and darkness. Seriously, one part really struck me.

As heavily hinted in the last episode and blatantly implied in the title, this finale sees the return of Kraang Prime and the aliens' assault on New York ("and then... the wooooooorld!"). This part of the story is all about embracing the sci-fi genre and it's pure fun. When all is said and done, we're left with a surprisingly emotional cliffhanger that's full of potential. There's also a huge reveal with a certain character here -- one which will likely have some fans a little divided -- but it brings an iconic and lovable voice actor into the show. It's a voice you'll immediately recognize and you can really tell the person had such a good time screaming the lines ("Fooled you! Fooled you all! Bwhaha!"). Even if you're not a fan of the twist with said character, at least it has the potential to become a pretty cool and creepy figure, right? And I can't forget to mention Ice Cream Kitty makes another adorable and smile-inducing cameo!

Yes, Donnie's mech makes its debut (come on, like you really thought they wouldn't use it in the finale after giving us all of those teasers?). Even though it doesn't stick around for too long, its appearance is hugely entertaining. Watching the team unleash all of its weapons and raw might against the Kraang was absurdly enjoyable and the big battle was plenty of fun. Despite all of its weapons and the amusing handling of the action, my personal highlight is its most dangerous weapon of all: the shin kick!

What's especially cool is this episode also does a little bit of extra worldbuilding. There's some big developments with the key characters and major fan service throughout, but the show also introduces another organization to its universe. It's great seeing the Ninja Turtles aren't the only ones responding to the second alien invasion in New York and hopefully we'll see more of this group in the upcoming season.

While the Kraang side of the story celebrates the sci-fi genre incredibly well and does a terrific job paving the way for Season Three, I found myself even more engaged with Leonardo's side of the story. It's a love letter to the first micro series issue and does an exceptional job showing how far he'll push himself to protect his family. The action with the aliens is explosive and focuses on all kinds of thrilling technology, but the situation with Leonardo is far more visceral. Just like in the micro issue, there isn't much banter; it's just intense, energetic, and lethal melee combat. Leonardo's slicing apart everything in his path, deflecting arrows, and refuses to stay down despite facing impossible odds. It's a really gripping sequence.

You can't have a TMNT finale without some focus on the Splinter/Shredder dynamic and this one absolutely delivers. It's loaded with emotion and the conflict had me totally captivated. One thing I really love is how the team has avoided making Shredder such a cliche villain. Sure, he wants to watch the world burn and all that, but right in the very beginning we see just how hurt he is by the events with Karai. Little segments like that really humanize the character. This conflict also brings the very awesome Leatherhead into the story. His role is limited but cheerworthy and memorable. Oh, and the moment between Michelangelo and Raphael after the big one-on-one fight? It's astonishingly heartfelt and sweet. I have no problem admitting that it made me choke up.

The directing for this finale did a fantastic job making us feel like an onlooker and consistently offered unique looks at all of the chaos. There were several shots where they pulled us near all of the madness but not directly into it. It kept the experience interesting and helped give us another view of all the action. One little touch I also liked is how they executed the growing divide between Leo and Donnie. Slow motion is using sparingly and oh-so-well! They're all excellent, but one of them really dropped my jaw. Additionally, it's worth noting that the score in the end helps all of these develops really sink in and make an impact.

Obviously, the show needs to remain somewhat conservative when it comes to how the violence is handled. However, they make up for this by having some of the more devastating attacks presented in a creative way. For example, after someone is slashed, the screen breaks into pieces and then falls out of the shot, just like shattered glass. It was a brilliant way to sell what happened without showing any significant damage to the character. That said, they still get away with a lot of brutal moments, especially in the scenes involving Shredder.

There's a brief bit between Donnie and April that I really appreciated. When it comes to the love triangle and how Donnie feels about April, she appears to be mostly oblivious to the situation. It's kind of tough to believe, especially since Donatello and Casey have been so blatant about it. But there's a quick exchange which offers a little more insight into how she feels about the matter and it'll apparently help put some concerns at ease.

The Invasion is a phenomenal finale. All of the fun and joy is balanced perfectly with all of the bleakness and raw emotion. The Kraang invasion is delightfully over-the-top yet the weight of what's going on is never lessened. The juggling of so many pivotal scenes is handled well and the ride never slows down. It's without question one of the most powerful and engrossing episodes yet and it'll leave you beyond anxious to watch the next episode. If you're a TMNT fan and you haven't given this show an honest chance, watch this one and you're more than likely going to become a fan.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

each series always ends up with either raph or leo being thrown through a window and the group retreating to to a cabin or barn lol

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was so good can't wait till next season.

BlueAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Well, it is a major arc in TMNT, so each adaptation would obviously take ques from it

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freaking awesome! Leo and Splinter were just beyond epic in this finale, and Poor Donnie...a lot of emotional crap put on his shoulders this episode.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

This episode was beautiful.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was like a punch in the heart! The only thing that bugged me was that the difference between Dominic Catrambone and Jason Biggs' versions of Leo seemed way more pronounced compared to earlier episodes.

Lemuel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man! Crap got real in this episode! I wonder how things will continue from here?

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it was for plot purposes, but it seemed a bit weird that Shredder, after defeating Splinter in a (battle-to-end-all-battles), decided to just through him in the water instead of finishing him off.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Mezmero

This finale was unbelievably good. This cartoon is a thing of beauty. It surpasses every expectation a fan of the older cartoons would have and then some. It seems almost incidental that it's also a merchandising machine. And how could it not be when all these vehicles and mechs look so darn cool. That's good since more money means a bigger budget to continue running the series at this level of quality for at least a few more seasons. It's astounding how they've had such a star studded voice cast for so long in addition to the amazing animation quality. That cliffhanger has me on pins and needles waiting for that next season. This show is definitely going down as one of my favorite American cartoons of all time.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The finale was brutal you really got to see the Turtles struggle. For a split second I thought they were maybe going to do evil Leo like the IDW comics. Just the way that Shredder was eying Leo.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I know it was for plot purposes, but it seemed a bit weird that Shredder, after defeating Splinter in a (battle-to-end-all-battles), decided to just through him in the water instead of finishing him off.

This is still a kid's show and is marketed at kids as well as older viewers at the end of the day. Shredder's threatened his stooges many times now and hasn't actually delivered on any of them. Plus the Leonardo vs Footbots fight bypassed the "no gore or violence" mandate by using robots instead plus what Leatherhead did to Shredder was pretty brutal.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Irma being a Kraang aside, this was one helluva finale! I especially loved the part where Leo was trashing the Footbots, looking seriously pissed off!

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheLurker

@lvenger: Oh, I wasn't down playing the intensity of this episode. I was just saying how that part seemed a bit anticlimactic compared to the rest of their fight, and the brutality of the finale as a whole.

@amazingwebhead:whats wrong with Irma being a Kraang? Personally I thought she was going to be mutated by season 3, so the big reveal gave me a good shock.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@amazingwebhead: whats wrong with Irma being a Kraang? Personally I thought she was going to be mutated by season 3, so the big reveal gave me a good shock.

Yeah, it was a decent twist, but it still felt like they were giving their fanbase the middle finger.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Well, it is a major arc in TMNT, so each adaptation would obviously take ques from it

wasn't dissing it, i just like how its either raph or leo, they take turns lol

thepartypooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leo totally went out like a Boss!!!!!!!!!!

he was so damn bad ass!!!!!

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huge grin on my face seeing the Leo micro comic play out! I've been a fan since the 1st cartoon but that issue of turtles brought me into the mirage world of the turtles.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

This episode was just the best

Just the freakin' best

Bring on Northampton!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

@thelurker: Don't worry, that wasn't my intention of my reply. I was just pointing out that the show still gets out any implied notions of brutality or violence if it's not done on robots or inhuman monsters. For instance, whenever Shredder stabbed someone in this episode, we got other effects instead. Like the falling glass panes when he shanked Leo or cut aways when Shredder stabbed Leatherhead. Still, this isn't as quite as much implied violence as the last season of Legend of Korra.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yeah. That Leatherhead part was awesome.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#28  Edited By pingclang

This was such an amazing episode and a great finale. Nice to see things moving along and maybe in the next season we'll get to see some new places and a change of scenery. I would really love to see the Turtles do some growing up now with everything that's happening. I know its a kids show and not meant to be a brood fest but I would like to see them mature some. I see Leo being in a weird place some time soon. Can't wait to see where the Turtles are headed. Man what an episode.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched it this morning and I have to say...EPIC!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was like a punch in the heart! The only thing that bugged me was that the difference between Dominic Catrambone and Jason Biggs' versions of Leo seemed way more pronounced compared to earlier episodes.

wait until you hear Seth Green as Leo

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it as well. The Erma thing isn't what I was expecting when Ho Chan said she was 'special' in her own way, but it was still entertaining.

Avatar image for xxsadisticsmilexx
    xxSadisticSmilexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny. I was ready to hate this show the moment it launched, but being a fan I had to see how it was. To my amazement, the show ended up being a fun ride. Which in turn made me really enjoy watching. Then this two part finale gave me everything I have ever dreamed a new cartoon of our fearless four could ever possibly deliver. I laughed, fought back tears, and found myself on the edge of my seat more often than not. I know it is just my opinion, but to me, Invasion accomplished more than any TMNT series, or movie ever has. I can only hope they keep it up!

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HellionVulcan

Probably their best episodes to date in terms of story leading to a feeling of hopelessness & having to rebuild everything from scratch. I seriously marked out for how Micky hugged Raphael after he was going crazy (after he thought Shredder had killed splinter) as it bought out this brotherly love the show had been missing for awhile.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.