Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Into Dimension X"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Season Two finale approaches and the latest episode, "Into Dimension X," is a totally fun and out-there way to set the stage for it. There are still no updates on what's going on with Karai or the Foot Clan, but this episodes aims to fully embrace Dimension X, the Kraang, and all of the wackiness that comes with it. On top of all the Dimension X zaniness and the focus on the aliens' plot, "Into Dimension X" also brings back a fan favorite: Leatherhead!

The return of Leatherhead of course means we're going to get some oh-so-brutal action and this episode certainly delivers. Before he goes on the offensive, we're hit with a huge roar and the vivid, red background sells the moment extremely well. Simply put, when that happens, you just know it's about to go down and can't help but get excited. Watching the mutant rip apart and smash his robotic foes is a thrill and there's even a pretty dark moment during the opening sequence. Let's just say Leatherhead isn't as kind as the heroes in a half shell are when it comes to dropping the alien enemies. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised they got away with it. The show always aims to please fans of any age, but man, you don't expect something like that on Nick!

Back on Earth, there's a hilarious bit with Mikey as he basically breaks the fourth wall. As if that wasn't funny enough, we're then treated to a lovable dose of Super Robo Mecha Force Five! I can't help but love those campy scenes and the foreshadowing they always offer. The only downside to this bit is they go a little too overboard to express the point that Mikey can sometimes be a bit careless and a liability. Sure, he slips up from time to time, but there's a moment in there that just made him seem, well, stupid. I get what happens with the orb (he's reacting because he wants to save his friend), but the TV seemed a tad overboard.

Once the team enters Dimension X, there's an awesomely fitting sci-fi score -- it almost feels like something out of Mars Attacks! The music sells the eccentric setting and all that it has to offer very well. Plus, it's just joyous watching the team learn about the location and leap around. Now, having Mikey look like a total fool back home is to sell the point that he thrives in Dimension X. His mentality tends to be "different" at times and this is humorously displayed as he points out that something far-fetched and really odd is "obvious" to him. Plus, Mikey excelling in this location gives us a bit of a more serious approach to the character (don't worry, there's plenty that keeps the tone lighthearted). Having him essentially take the lead also generates an amusing response or two from Leonardo.

The plot here is simple enough and it does an able job building up our interest in the finale. While the previous finale seemed to lose a bit of steam by focusing on April's unclear powers, this one seems to be far more straightforward. Even though there aren't any big surprises in this chapter, the pacing makes it feel like a quick episode and that's a good thing. None of the scenes dragged on. If we're not getting some action sequences, there's some levity or exploration of what makes Dimension X unique and all kinds of weird. It was surprising to see there wasn't a big cliffhanger -- especially since the dialogue seemed to imply something massive would happen -- but I guess they're saving that moment for the finale. Speaking of the final scene, I have a pretty minor gripe with it. I love that they're showing us New York isn't deserted. The final rooftop scene had people walking below and cars driving by -- it's clearly populated and a commonly taken road. But doing this was a bit of a double-edge sword because a character falls onto the street below and it's seemingly no big deal. I know the bit is there for laughs and kids will obviously enjoy it, so like I said, it's just a minor gripe. Still, it's nice to see they've been focusing on making the world feel more alive.

"Into Dimension X" is pretty much a celebration of the sci-genre and all of the creative things it can offer. On top of the imaginative setting and obstacles the Ninja Turtles face, there's also a decent look at Mikey, plenty of entertaining action, and it does what's needed to build interest in the finale. It was surprising to see the episode didn't end on a stronger tease, but "Into Dimension X" was still a really good time and left me anxious to see how Season Two's conclusion will be handled! The episode may be a little too out-there for some of you, but I had a blast with all of the strangeness it presented.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@k4tzm4n: Hey, I'll buy Nick doing anything after they had a woman explode her own head in Legend of Korra.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HushoftheWind

For those who can't wait(like me) the season finale is up nick.com. For all you fans of Leo you'll all notice this ep pays homage to the classic comic and i guess the 2k3 ep too, but i dont wanna spoil that. I will say Leo was a bad a$$ in the finale.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Mikey was just a full-on badass in this episode. Although I'm kinda disappointed that we didn't get to see the Neutrinos.

Sawcesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I just watched the finale, and I'm covered in chill bumps.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yeah, I just watched the finale, and I'm covered in chill bumps.

Really? How have you managed to watch the finale ahead of the American release?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lvenger

@hushofthewind said:

For those who can't wait(like me) the season finale is up nick.com. For all you fans of Leo you'll all notice this ep pays homage to the classic comic and i guess the 2k3 ep too, but i dont wanna spoil that. I will say Leo was a bad a$$ in the finale.

How long is the finale? 2 episodes according to the site I guess. But damn, can't watch it in my UK location -_-

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lurkero

Sometimes I feel the writers try too hard to make Mikey "stupid" rather than just "goofy" I can appreciate a goofy character, but when the character does and says things that are downright stupid it is grating. In this episode, however, the writers got to show the other side of Mikey. I loved seeing Mikey take the lead as the rational person in an irrational world. My favorite moments were when he pushed Donny aside to fiddle with the computer and when he pushed Leatherhead through the portal (to prevent him from that trope again).

I look forward to seeing Dimension X in season 3. New York is becoming a little stale. They don't do much with the city anyways.

@lvenger said:

How long is the finale? 2 episodes according to the site I guess. But damn, can't watch it in my UK location -_-

That's because Nickelodeon, along with several other cable channels, insists on being ridiculous with episode availability. It's like they are against making money. The episodes will likely be available at illegal streaming sites so why hold back in certain regions? Make it available online to everyone so that they visit the official source before the illegal ones. Oh well.

Deadknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By Deadknight

Dimension X was pretty cool to see. A small detail I liked was Leatherhead's use of the alligator death roll while fighting the Krang - just a detail that seemed fitting.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HushoftheWind

@lvenger: the finale is an hour long. it's also on youtube

Spoilers:

Loading Video...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@hushofthewind: Ah so it's on Youtube already? Many thanks for the video, I'll now spoil myself away on what happens :P

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lvenger: it's also up on Nick.com...they've been putting up these last few episodes a week before they air on television

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bio Guyver

That season 2 finale was brutal. All three turtles, except Mikey, had moments where my heart strings were pulled. It's always refreshing to see the good guys lose the day. It only makes their conviction a lot greater the next time around :)

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

I'm not going to spoil it, that said, I can't wait for the big finale. The latest episode was good and a lot of fun. It was neat seeing Mikey in the role of leader and knowing the ropes. Really enjoyed it and sooo excited for next Friday.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now, Shredder must help Krang conquer, ZA WARUDOOO!!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger: it's also up on Nick.com...they've been putting up these last few episodes a week before they air on television

Thanks but I already tried that. Can't be viewed from outside the USA. The Youtube version on the other hand can be viewed outside America :P

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadknight: Yeah, that's the second time they've had him use deathrolls in his fighting style.

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That season 2 finale was brutal. All three turtles, except Mikey, had moments where my heart strings were pulled.

Really? Mikey didn't do it for you with The Hug? That put a lump in my throat.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@hushofthewind said:

if you use firefox, you can get addons that change your location setting. Up to you. Im in canada so I had to do the same thing.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

Sometimes I feel the writers try too hard to make Mikey "stupid" rather than just "goofy" I can appreciate a goofy character, but when the character does and says things that are downright stupid it is grating. In this episode, however, the writers got to show the other side of Mikey. I loved seeing Mikey take the lead as the rational person in an irrational world. My favorite moments were when he pushed Donny aside to fiddle with the computer and when he pushed Leatherhead through the portal (to prevent him from that trope again).

I look forward to seeing Dimension X in season 3. New York is becoming a little stale. They don't do much with the city anyways.

I felt the same way,homer Simpson treatment. they didn't start off Stupid, just slow and funny. I enjoyed this episode, especially the final computer part where mikey is typing

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@lvenger said:

@hushofthewind said:

if you use firefox, you can get addons that change your location setting. Up to you. Im in canada so I had to do the same thing.

Already watched it on Youtube. Damn how intense :D

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@w0nd said:

@lvenger said:

@hushofthewind said:

Already watched it on Youtube. Damn how intense :D

I am going to have to when i get home from work today. This will be the slowest Monday EVER!

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By HellionVulcan

This episode was amazing as we finally got to see a serious Micky & he was badass :),My favorite bit from that episode .....

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.