Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1198 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

You Ever Realize....?

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By biggkeem89

I was just looking through some old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stuff, and came to an odd revelation. Has anyone ever noticed that the Turtles and Daredevil have the same origin?  Think about it: The Turtles fall into some radioactive ooze, mutate, and are taken in and trained by a ninjitsu master that uses a stick. Matt Murdock gets into some radioactive slime, mutates gaining special abilities, and then is trained by a ninjitsu master named Stick.  I also spotted a few other similarities: 
    1. The turtles fight the Foot Clan of Ninjas. Daredevil fights the Hand. 
    2. Elektra is a former Hand ninja, who is sometimes a friend and other times an enemy of Daredevil. The same can be said for Karai and the Turtles. 
    Any other similarities that you can find? What do you think?

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By darth_brendroid

I think TMNT may have been designed as a parody of the ninja craze at the time, and maybe even some superhero comics? I dunno, I'm not too familiar with TMNT outside of the 2003 animated series.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By sexy_merc

When TMNT started off, they were a parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil and a few other comics in the 80s, so it's no surprise.

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

Apparently the 'Foot Clan' were a direct reference to 'The Hand' but yeah I sorta see where you're coming from.. but it's vague at best.  

(Off topic but nice avatar dude.)

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Icon

Yep, it's well known that they were totally inspired by Frank Miller's DD. The Foot is a spin on the Hand. Splinter is a spin on Stick, etc.

_Courage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By _Courage_

That's awesome.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

at the time the most popular books around were Daredevil and New Mutants so they made the first issue as a parody of the two books not expecting it to sell as well as it did

Agustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Agustin

Not only do I personaly acknowledge it but it's pretty much common knowledge. I'd assume that anyone with interest in the original TMNT would be aware that the origin is based on Daredevil.

While it has some slight parody aspects at first it's more an homage. Not just to Frank Miller's intial DD run but of his Silver Age origin too. The blind guy that the TCRI truck swerves to avoid is supposed to be Matt Murdoch. There's also a lot of other elements drawn from comics that were popular at the time.  Fantastic Four, Kirby's Fourth World stuff, the other indie anthropomorphic animal books like Usagi, Cerebus etc

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

My thoughts exactly. If the Turtles were Marvel, it would probably have been the very same incident.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.