Turtles Ongoing-This book kicks ass

#1 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a whole lot of discussion regarding the new TMNT series, we just got issue #4 this week and it rocked!!! The Raphael one shot is set to come out next week. What are everyone's thoughts so far? I've loved this book, the new take on the turtles is awesome, a totally new origin which has been awesome but it still maintains and captures the gritty incredible feel of the original Laird & Eastman Mirage Studios run. If you're not reading this book and have ever been a turtle fan you need to start picking it up! You wont be disappointed!!! Who else out there is reading it and loving it as much as me?

#2 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW!!! The Raphael one-shot may be the best book yet!!!!! A lot of very cool things happen in this book, you need to go pick this one up!!! A new villain and the return of some old fan favorites!!!!

#3 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41 said:

WOW!!! The Raphael one-shot may be the best book yet!!!!! A lot of very cool things happen in this book, you need to go pick this one up!!! A new villain and the return of some old fan favorites!!!!

Bebop and Rocksteady!!!!

#4 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

i wanted to pick this up but sadly i dont have the money right now when i do im picking up all the issues

#5 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I know right!!! Totally badass, and it seems like they'll be a mainstay in the books not just a nice one time homage.

@luckydomino1: The first trade has already been announced and will be released in late February or March. It will collect the first 4-5 issues of the ongoing and a second trade will collect all of the micro-series character one shots. This is seriously in the top 10 must read comics in my opinion.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a new series. Cool.

@danhimself: Back to basics. I like.

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to get it but didn't see it at my shop

#8 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41: I was mad at myself for not seeing it before the end of the issue where they were talking about wanting to be mutants....then I saw the hat and glasses and remember him yelling that he was a Rhino before Raphael knocked him out....then it was like "OH MY GOD!!"

#9 Edited by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Haha I don't think you were alone in that, I had noticed it in the preview IDW released a couple days before. I think thats a good thing that some people overlooked them, to me that means they weren't being portrayed as laughable idiots, so hopefully they'll be a legitimate threat for the turtles. I also liked how it seemed that they were training somewhat with Alopex there at the end, hopefully that means that they will have some martial arts training and be more than strong brawlers, still be the muscle but have some skill to back it up. So that they wont be as smooth as a say Alopex, but more technical fighters than Old Hob, who is the perfect old street tough villain, he fills that role perfectly so I'd like to see Bebop and Rocksteady advance out of that role into some more skilled hand to hand combatants, and not just stupid thugs with mutant strength.

So far things look great and I love the interpretation all of the characters have had. This IDW series is awesome!! Can't wait for issue #5 and the Mikey One shot later this month!!!

#10 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@MetropolisKid41: I was kind of disappointed by Alopex....they should have used Ninjara from the Archie Series

#11 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I know that there may be some characters that are off limits that were introduced by the Archie series and not owned by Mirage studios or Eastman & Laird, I think Ninjara may fall into that category, so I assume thats why they went with a new character that was an homage since they couldn't use Ninjara herself. I'm very interested to see just how much of Alopex's backstory is true and if there is in fact a whole bunch of more mutant ninja animals.

#12 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got done reading issue 2. whats up with this origin they are doing? i'm not digging this at all.

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (44479 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, this book is very fun so far.

Staff
#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got issue 4 and I have to stop myself from going back and getting 1-3 and then buying every issue I just can't afford it but its sop awesome I really want to

#15 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I just got done reading issue 2. whats up with this origin they are doing? i'm not digging this at all.

I completely agree about the origin...it seems like it's to much of a change from the normal but I still really like the series

#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I completely agree about the origin...it seems like it's to much of a change from the normal but I still really like the series

I only read two issues, but it shows the turtles and splinter as regular animals and it said 18 months earlier as the flashback. did they learn martial arts in like a few months and became masters? it makes no sense.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@danhimself said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I only read two issues, but it shows the turtles and splinter as regular animals and it said 18 months earlier as the flashback. did they learn martial arts in like a few months and became masters? it makes no sense.

I don't want to spoil it for you...there's only 5 issues and 2 one shots....get caught up! ...the origin is expanded on in issue 5

#18 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@danhimself said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I don't want to spoil it for you...there's only 5 issues and 2 one shots....get caught up! ...the origin is expanded on in issue 5

Ah, good.... Gota hit up the store tommorow then.

#19 Posted by redhoodx (79 posts) - - Show Bio

This book kicks so much ass, it should be illegal. I read alot of dc, but I feel this title is right up there with scott snyders batman.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33493 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to get this but it's not at Comixology :(

#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Can a person who knows nothing about TMNT jump on without any problems?

#22 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

Can a person who knows nothing about TMNT jump on without any problems?

Yes, brand new series, brand new origin, there's literally no continuity you're missing out on. You might recognize some characters if you're at all familiar with the turtles' universe but thats it.
#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, does anyone know if those one-shots have anything to do with the main IDW series? What about the Infestation thing?

#24 Posted by Lvenger (20055 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if this book was bad which from the sounds of it it's not, it would still be better that Teenage Alien Ninja Aliens a la Michael Bay.

#25 Posted by k4tzm4n (44479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Yes, the micro series is connected. Infestation is an event for IDW and technically connected as well (or so I believe).

Staff
#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Should I read the micro series first?

#27 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I...need...this..series...

DAMN MY LOCAL COMIC SHOP!

#28 Posted by k4tzm4n (44479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: No, there's no need to. Honestly, the micro series just gives the spot to individuals but doesn't progress the plot in a significant way at all. Or at least it hasn't yet.

Staff

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.