Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Episode 1.18 'Cockroach Terminator' Review

Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

I can always rely on Nick's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to put me in a good mood, and this episode went above and beyond. Sharp and hysterical writing and plenty of exhilarating action scenes makes this another must watch episode.

Donny made some modifications to a cockroach, but it turns out Raph hates -- and I mean hates -- cockroaches. He tries to kill the cute critter before Donny stops him and points out they'll use it to spy on the Kraang. It turns out the Kraang wants to drill into the center of the Earth and naturally, the team aims to stop it. Unfortunately for them, though, the little spy takes a dive into some mutagen and becomes the first organic/synthetic hybrid. From here, the 'Cockroach Terminator' continues to hunt the Turtles as they try to put an end to the Kraang's plan.

As usual, this episode is loaded with fantastic writing and slapstick comedy. Sean Astin (Raphael) appears to have plenty of fun in this chapter. While Raph's usually rough out on the outside, he's left in a vulnerable spot for the majority of this one. This allows him to him deliver some truly hilarious reactions to the mutant and show the aggressive Turtle in a whole new light. By far the best is when he tries to take out the cockroach in the opening scene. Luckily for us, we're treated to that on loop shortly after. Leo's also given a solid line as he tries to speak Kraang yet again. And fret not, Mikey fans, he still has good lines scattered throughout as well.

The hybrid gave the animators plenty of opportunities to show off. Everything from the mutant's vision to its various weapons not only look great, but were particularly creative. As the episode title implies, there are a few nods to the Terminator franchise, too. How awesome was the shot of the 'Terminator' walking out of the flames?

Why'd the Kraang want to drill into the Earth again? I guess we have to assume it's an attempt to change the environment, but this concept is never really expanded upon. In fact, the Turtles seem to imply it'll make lava destroy the city, and that's pretty counterproductive for all of the Kraang located there, no?

Raphael fans, I know you might not like seeing your favorite character serve as the punchline, but I promise you the conclusion makes it all worth it. The final action sequence has one seriously cool sequence after another. It's ridiculously fun and the perfect way to conclude yet another hugely entertaining issue.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Staff
#1 Posted by knightofthechronicle (689 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear, that cockroaches second form freaked the heck out of me, it was like a slug, parasite, and a fly had a huge gross superhuman baby. On the other hand, seeing Raph fighting it in the last part of the episode was pretty awesome, I actually cheered at the end.

#2 Posted by sinsear912 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate this version of ralph. he went from a bad ass to a punkass. the tmnt did ralph justice. nick take notes.

#3 Posted by Ms. Omega (4470 posts) - - Show Bio

The Turtle Cycle was awesome.

#4 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to watch this episode! This series has been pure fun!

#5 Posted by dondave (37445 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Episode

#6 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20250 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnie needs to stop mutating animals!

#7 Posted by NightFang (10067 posts) - - Show Bio

The lesson to take away from this episode; be nice to bugs people.

#8 Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Donnie needs to stop mutating animals!

Hey now, it's technically Raph's fault the poor thing got mutated!

Staff
#9 Posted by Lurkero (186 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point talking about TMNT has become redundant, but in a good way. Good episode, good writing, good comedy. I hope they have better backgrounds in the future, etc.

I really liked the terminator version of the cockroach and I hope the new roach returns in that form. It made for an entertaining enemy. The malted version was just creepy.

@sinsear912 said:

i hate this version of ralph. he went from a bad ass to a punkass. the tmnt did ralph justice. nick take notes.

Well excuse them for trying to add some dimension to the character.

#10 Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lurkero said:

At this point talking about TMNT has become redundant, but in a good way. Good episode, good writing, good comedy. I hope they have better backgrounds in the future, etc.

I really liked the terminator version of the cockroach and I hope the new roach returns in that form. It made for an entertaining enemy. The malted version was just creepy.

@sinsear912 said:

Well excuse them for trying to add some dimension to the character.

Indeed. I almost feel like a broken record reviewing this show.

Staff
#11 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (430 posts) - - Show Bio

I am someone who is incredibly picky when it comes to the things I love. Hell, I don't read anything from either Marvel or DC anymore as they have done things to my favorite characters that I just can't stand. However the things I can find fault with this show are so few (and incredibly minor) that they aren't even worth mentioning. Each episode has been a great experience and it never lets you down. Not sure if it's my favorite interpretation of the turtles, but it's well on it way to getting there.

#12 Edited by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Raph episode, great to give him an Indiana Jones-Snake thing with cockroaches, good humorous way to show he isn't just a hardass, and it's why he continues to be my favorite of the turtles. and AWESOME action at the end from Raph taking charge, another reason why he's my favorite. and in non Raph related awesome, I loved all the Terminator references they made, they weren't just thrown in there, they were some nuanced references.

#13 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone else feel sorry for the cockroach?!

#14 Edited by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Great episode as normal. Did anyone else immediately think of Batman Beyond when Raph jumped into his go-cart/bike thing, and it went all black and red like a view of Terry McGinnis inside the Batmobile?

#15 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Great episode.

Love how Mikey throws up the shaka in the beginning ("Lava surfing, brah!") lol.

#16 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Beast_in_the_Shadows said:

I am someone who is incredibly picky when it comes to the things I love. Hell, I don't read anything from either Marvel or DC anymore as they have done things to my favorite characters that I just can't stand. However the things I can find fault with this show are so few (and incredibly minor) that they aren't even worth mentioning. Each episode has been a great experience and it never lets you down. Not sure if it's my favorite interpretation of the turtles, but it's well on it way to getting there.

Are you me? Because these are my exact thoughts/feelings.

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome episode, and yes Katz I'll follow your Twitter, lol.

#18 Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Awesome episode, and yes Katz I'll follow your Twitter, lol.

Huzzah!

Staff
#19 Posted by Mezmero (932 posts) - - Show Bio

This show is still fantastic. Raphael is already my favorite turtle both past and present. I can totally relate to the unease around creepy crawly insects especially cockroaches. I was equally creeped out at the shockingly well animated normal size roach but as the show went on my disgust turned into utter dread. I can't believe they would let kids see such a hideous creature which looks like something out of my darkest nightmares. Admittedly I lost track of the Kraang plot as well. I was just enraptured by Raph's struggle to survive an ordeal straight out of a horror film.

The humor continues to mind -eff me. I cracked up when the first roach borg actually grabbed Donatello's face. Why the face? Raphael stole the show on this one with his nonstop freak outs. I see a little bit of myself in this character now more than ever before.

#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mezmero: Donny's face just can't catch a break.

Staff
#21 Posted by pingclang (278 posts) - - Show Bio

Raph has always been my favorite turtle, hands down, and still is and I loved the episode. I loved how the whole thing was an analogy for "fighting your fears." Great episode.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.