Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Episode 1.11 'Mousers Attack!' Review

Posted by k4tzm4n (43402 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the return of Dexter Speckman! Wait, I mean Baxter Stockman.  The classic foe is back and he brings his signature invention with him: mousers! I'm happy to report that 'Mousers Attack!' is yet another fantastic episode in this shockingly good animated series. While this entry might not deliver as many gut-busting laughs as prior episodes, the chemistry between the brothers steals the show and there's plenty of stylized action.  
 
Greg Cipes makes Michelangelo so darn lovable and heart warming. You might think the goofy Turtle is stupid, but that's not how I see him. Instead, I view Mikey as an innocent and positive thinking dude. That makes it even more hilarious when he realizes an insult is tossed his way ("Thanks!... I mean, hey!"). 
  
We all know Leonardo and Raphael are better combatants than Mikey and Donatello, and that takes center stage here. Splinter sees a rift growing between Leo and Raph because of their competitive nature, so he instead forces them to team up against Mike and Donny... or as they're humorously called in this episode, the B-team. While this does bring Raph and Leo closer together, it unfortunately comes at the expense of the B-team's pride. This forces the "A and B-team" to go their separate ways when they try to recover April's cell phone. This naturally brings them into conflict with Stockman and his mousers as well as Dogpound and the Purple Dragons.   

While we're watching the A-team there's a focus on heavy action. It's a blasting watching the duo tear apart dozens of Mousers in super slick slow motion (used at all the right moments, too). But when we get a look at the B-team, there's a strong shift to comedy. Donny comes up with tons of great plans and Mikey creates code-names for each, but it takes them forever to follow through on one of the ideas -- once again showcasing a stark difference between the two teams.
 
We're treated to yet another smile-inducing appearance of Leo's favorite campy cartoon. The retro and silly take on Star Trek shows that all teammates have a purpose... even if it's just to serve as a human shield. While this gave me a good laugh, it seemed a bit too arrogant and insensitive for Leo to be fine with implying his brothers are merely fodder. I thought he might at least try to reassure them that they're important, but instead he went back to enjoying that CGI pizza. 
 
Did anyone else catch Dogpound scream "Oh, yeah!" as he smashed through the wall? I'm starting to think the creative team loves Kool-Aid because that's the second time they referenced it! The first time was way back in 'I think his name is Baxter Stockman.' And while we're on the subject of Dogpound, the poor guy is already beginning to lose his reputation. Raph didn't have much trouble taking him on all by his lonesome and even Donny got a sweet hit on the mutant. Then he had a less than formidable retreat as a few Mousers chomped on his tail. Hopefully they're not slowly turning him into a joke. He's an interesting character and legitimately fearsome. It would be a shame to turn him into a jobber, especially after that fierce battle in the last episode.  
  
'Mousers Attack!' might not have the best action or comedy this season, but it's an excellent look at the chemistry and key differences between the four brothers. Season 1 of TMNT is still going strong and this show has yet to have a bad episode. Unfortunately, there's only 1 episode left before the mid-season break!
 
Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine & IGN Entertainment. He really, really, really wants the ringtone used in this episode.
Staff Online
#1 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont see the point of these 'articles'. first 3 episodes sure get people to watch a supposedly good show but now..... its like your getting paid to advertise this. at least do it for other shows.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33356 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gona watch this later to day

@theTimeStreamer: surprised I'v never seen you say this about the Walking Dead Articles, or the Arrow articles.....

#3 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: walking dead articles arent as frequent (plust its a good show even if i gave up on it, tired of zombies) and arrow really isnt worth the time it takes to type.

#4 Edited by k4tzm4n (43402 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous
Cool.  Be sure check back afterwards.
 
@theTimeStreamer: We do. There's reviews every week for new episodes of The Walking Dead, Arrow (though Tony stopped that due to traffic he wasn't pleased with), and occasionally Star Wars: The Clone Wars. We were potentially going to have Young Justice and Green Lantern reviews too, but DC Nation was delayed. As for the "point?" It's sharing our thoughts on something a portion of the community is interested in.  You have every right not to like the show, but that doesn't automatically mean others feel the same way. There's a decent amount of Viners who regularly watch the show and this is a way for us to share our thoughts on the latest episodes and for them to respond.  
 
As for your "getting paid to advertise this" remark: I love the show and I have no problem reviewing it on a weekly basis. If there's an episode I don't like, I'll be sure to say so.  It just so happens that none of the episodes have been bad so far (in my opinion). 
Staff Online
#5 Posted by McKlayn (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:
Cool. Be sure check back afterwards.

@theTimeStreamer: We do. There's reviews every week for new episodes of The Walking Dead, Arrow (though Tony stopped that due to traffic he wasn't pleased with), and occasionally Star Wars: The Clone Wars. We were potentially going to have Young Justice and Green Lantern reviews too, but DC Nation was delayed. As for the "point?" It's sharing our thoughts on something a portion of the community is interested in. You have every right not to like the show, but that doesn't automatically mean others feel the same way. There's a decent amount of Viners who regularly watch the show and this is a way for us to share our thoughts on the latest episodes and for them to respond. As for your "getting paid to advertise this" remark: I love the show and I have no problem reviewing it on a weekly basis. If there's an episode I don't like, I'll be sure to say so. It just so happens that none of the episodes have been bad so far (in my opinion).

BOO YA! I mean, yea lol the show is solid and i love the reviews, it reminds me to go watch the episode :D So keep em coming!!

#6 Posted by okguy456 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the reviews, and the show! Keep them coming!

#7 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer said:

i dont see the point of these 'articles'. first 3 episodes sure get people to watch a supposedly good show but now..... its like your getting paid to advertise this. at least do it for other shows.

Katz is a turtles fan. He promotes their comics also. Nothing wrong with getting paid to consistently showcase what you love.

And this show is actually pretty good. To my knowledge, the only other comics related show out right now is Arrow.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33356 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker: and the Walking Dead

#9 Posted by Lurkero (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like that they did the Kool-Aid man joke again. This time it "seems a little forced". The episode overall was good though. It was a well written way to bring Baxter Stockman to Shredder's team.

@theTimeStreamer said:

i dont see the point of these 'articles'. first 3 episodes sure get people to watch a supposedly good show but now..... its like your getting paid to advertise this. at least do it for other shows.

Are you kidding? The purpose of Comic Vine is to produce a website showcasing other people's work. It's almost all advertising.

#10 Posted by ccraft (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg do u think TMNT would be better with they could use their weapons? I do like the show of course. And can you or anyone recommend any TMNT comics.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33356 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: You should read the current IDW series, it's only 16 issues in

#12 Posted by LiamB8 (54 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesnt look good

#13 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Reignmaker: and the Walking Dead

Oh yeah that too, LOL. Can't believe I forgot that when I watch the show too.

#14 Posted by k4tzm4n (43402 posts) - - Show Bio
@McKlayn@okguy456: Thank you! 
 
@ccraft said:

Greg do u think TMNT would be better with they could use their weapons? I do like the show of course. And can you or anyone recommend any TMNT comics.

Yes, but it's not really something that bothers me seeing as it's first and foremost a kids show.  This show has consistently proven that it doesn't need killing for top-notch action sequences. 
 
As for a recommendation, IDW has a brand new TMNT series.  They're on #16 right now but you can catch up with TPBs. The first one is called "Change is Constant." 
 
@Lurkero: Agreed, it was a good way to make Shredder and Stockman join forces.  My guess is Baxter will be the one to give Xever gear that'll allow him to function out of the water (toys have unfortunately spoiled this a long time ago). 
Staff Online
#15 Posted by Destinyhero20 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Was Irma Langinstein on April's phone, before it was destroy?

Anyway, it was a good episode, did like the Cool aid part

#16 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

This show, like the comics, had been consistently great!!

#17 Posted by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio

Next episode is going to show Leatherhead

#18 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw it today and was completely amazed! ^_^

#19 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20236 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review! I LOL'd at the Kool-Aid part.

Online
#20 Posted by modunhanul (407 posts) - - Show Bio

While watching this episode, I was wondering when will Fishface fight TMNT? Furthermore, how will he fight?

By the way, the death of B team in Space Hero was hilarious.

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (43402 posts) - - Show Bio
@modunhanul said:

While watching this episode, I was wondering when will Fishface fight TMNT? Furthermore, how will he fight?

By the way, the death of B team in Space Hero was hilarious.

I don't know when he'll appear, but I do know what he'll look like when he does. 
 
 
Staff Online
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33356 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: Was that the first time you watched it?

#23 Posted by hammers_of_justice (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Greg do u think TMNT would be better with they could use their weapons? I do like the show of course. And can you or anyone recommend any TMNT comics.

IDW have announced TMNT NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES coming out for Free Comic Book Day 2013. I assume this means an ongoing series will follow.

#24 Posted by The Stegman (24333 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the show, but this episode was a little meh for me.

#25 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: The first time I had the opportunity to see an entire episode actually.

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33356 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: The first time I had the opportunity to see an entire episode actually.

It's pretty awesome

#27 Posted by k4tzm4n (43402 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: The first time I had the opportunity to see an entire episode actually.

Awesome, welcome to the fan club :D

Their website has 3 other episodes you can watch:

http://www.nick.com/videos/ninja-turtles-videos

Just click full episodes and there ya go. I'd recommend Metalhead.

Staff Online
#28 Posted by RoTheKid (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude!!! Okay, so I thought I did hear DogPound say "Oh Yeah" when he had gone through that wall!!! Cool!!! I missed the other time though. Now, I will have to go back and try to catch that one. Good episode, though, not one of their best, but still solid nonetheless! Thanks, Gregg! :)

#29 Posted by blueninjapanther (676 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the ending where Mikey was breakdancing. He's really good.

#30 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally!

The mousers! Can't wait to see this show's take on 'em!

#31 Posted by 0bsessions (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a kid made for a great excuse to get my wife to sit down and watch this show. It's non-stop fun and it helps me live vicariously through my daughter by buying all the Ninja Turtles toys I never got as a kid.

#32 Edited by Mezmero (930 posts) - - Show Bio

This show is so much fun to watch. I think Raphael is my favorite though he was my favorite in the old cartoon and movie. He's no where near as lovable as Michelangelo and Donatello but his arrogance is great. The only thing that bothers me is that he calls Leo's Space Heroes show 'dumb' while he reads comic books. You'd think comics and sci-fi go hand in hand where tastes are concerned. It's weird to think that Sean Astin ended up doing his voice after such a storied film career. I think he's doing a good job here. I can't help but have a smile on my face when I watch this show but it's also got amazing action and a pretty good story.

The mousers were a great call back to the old show and they looked appropriately freaky in this episode. Seeing the competitive dynamic of the turtles was hilarious to watch. The reference to the Star Trek "red shirts" had me rolling on the floor. It even ended with a thoughtful lesson on reliance. Now that Stockman works for Shredder this means Xever will probably find a way out of that fish tank. I don't see how he can be as bad ass at fighting as he was as a human. I can't wait to see more.

#33 Posted by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Such a great show. Yeah, it's a kid's show but just like almost every great kids show/movie it has a hell of a lot to offer adults too. Been a Turtles fan since I can remember anything and I think this could be the best take on the characters yet. Can't get enough!

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (43402 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoTheKid: Thanks for reading!

@blueninjapanther said:

I like the ending where Mikey was breakdancing. He's really good.

haha, it was a nice lighthearted moment. I viewed it as showing the team has moved on from the rivalry and each was unwinding in their own way. All is well again in the lair.

@Eyz said:

Finally!

The mousers! Can't wait to see this show's take on 'em!

Be sure to come back with your thoughts after you've watched it!

@0bsessions said:

Having a kid made for a great excuse to get my wife to sit down and watch this show. It's non-stop fun and it helps me live vicariously through my daughter by buying all the Ninja Turtles toys I never got as a kid.

Nice! Agreed it's a show that can be loved by all ages. I'm not ashamed to say I have the toy for Mikey, Metalhead, Dogpound and Shredder ;)

@Mezmero: Interesting point regarding Raph's opinion on the show... but hey, I guess his comics aren't as campy ;)

Staff Online
#35 Edited by Beast_in_the_Shadows (430 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone else catch the caller id on April's cell phone? I let you all rewind it and check it out, but how clear it is makes it quite obvious that we were supposed to see it. The only question is "Future appearance, or inside reference for the fans?"

#36 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the part where the T-Phones were ringing, and the ring tone happened to be the 80's TMNT theme song. 

#37 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mezmero said:

This show is so much fun to watch. I think Raphael is my favorite though he was my favorite in the old cartoon and movie. He's no where near as lovable as Michelangelo and Donatello but his arrogance is great. The only thing that bothers me is that he calls Leo's Space Heroes show 'dumb' while he reads comic books. You'd think comics and sci-fi go hand in hand where tastes are concerned. It's weird to think that Sean Astin ended up doing his voice after such a storied film career. I think he's doing a good job here. I can't help but have a smile on my face when I watch this show but it's also got amazing action and a pretty good story.

The mousers were a great call back to the old show and they looked appropriately freaky in this episode. Seeing the competitive dynamic of the turtles was hilarious to watch. The reference to the Star Trek "red shirts" had me rolling on the floor. It even ended with a thoughtful lesson on reliance. Now that Stockman works for Shredder this means Xever will probably find a way out of that fish tank. I don't see how he can be as bad ass at fighting as he was as a human. I can't wait to see more.

The "red shirt" joke had me rolling. Great way to pay homage to ST.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.