Peter Laird Supports Michael Bay's Reboot

Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com.br/2012/03/few-musings-on-turtles-as-aliens.html

The Ninja Turtles' creator Peter Laird said in his blog that not only approved Michael Bay's TANT but also gave him ideas. Keep in mind he no longer holds property over the Turtles.

He said there could be a FIFTH NINJA TURTLE, but here is the kicker: there is the possibility of having a ENTIRE TURTLE PLANET (WTF?!?).

Really... at best this sounds like Thundercats (why don't you make a movie out of it?) and Howard the Duck at really worst. This may sound like a cool idea, but...

Make of that what will, guys...

#1 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, it's like a knife to all the awesome that is TMNT. Fifth turtle isn't so bad, but a alien planet of turtles just royally sucks.

#2 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: Did Bay brainwash the TNMT creator?

#3 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Vine rules prohibit me from saying what I really want to say....lets just say it would mostly consist of these types of symbols when edited #$@!$@#@&*^%$#%^^$$%^&&%

#4 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel pretty much the same way as when I first read of the DC reboot

#5 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF !!!

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

people really seem to be having trouble with sarcasm, if you go to his actual blog he explains in the comments that he doesn't like the idea

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

I read the whole thing and the comments, all the people who are claiming he supports the idea have obviously not read the entire statement or didn't understand it

#8 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You are right. After reading the comments on that blog I can see that he was just being sarcastic but it looks like we're not the only one who, sadly, misunderstood his comments:

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: that's the problem with people now days they read a tiny part of something and assume the rest

#10 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall: I read the comments after it was mentioned and it comes off as 'I don't endorse nor oppose the concept cause at this point, that's all it is: a concept." Also has the it's out of my hands fans kinda vibe.

#11 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I am one of the few that thinks Venus could work. it was done bad but it is possible to work she was the magic factor.

@TheGreyOutcastX: Wasn't there aliens turtles in one episode of the 80s cartoon or were they from another dimension? They weren't the teenage mutant ninja turtles but there were turtles.

#12 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Comic Vine rules prohibit me from saying what I really want to say....lets just say it would mostly consist of these types of symbols when edited #$@!$@#@&*^%$#%^^$$%^&&%

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (40244 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Eastman does as well:

Kevin Eastman - "Hey Guys, Sorry to have been away for so long--completely swamped with work--but it is some pretty exciting stuff. I had been invited to check out the TMNT film development by my friend Scott Mednick over the years, and a while back had a full look behind the curtian at what writers Appelbaum and Nemec, director Liebesman, and producer Bay are doing--and trust me--it IS AWESOME. I'm officially on board, and will share more as I'm allowed... thanks all!"
Staff
#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Eastman may but Laird doesn't endorse the idea at all the OP was just one of the many people who didn't read the entire statement and don't understand sarcasm

#15 Posted by k4tzm4n (40244 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Wasn't saying otherwise, simply sharing the fact that Eastman has spoken on the matter.

Staff
#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Kevin Eastman - "Hey Guys, Sorry to have been away for so long--completely swamped with work--but it is some pretty exciting stuff. I had been invited to check out the TMNT film development by my friend Scott Mednick over the years, and a while back had a full look behind the curtian at what writers Appelbaum and Nemec, director Liebesman, and producer Bay are doing--and trust me--it IS AWESOME. I'm officially on board, and will share more as I'm allowed... thanks all!"

Honestly, people are freaking out way too early. Yes I know, people are angry about the massive deviation from the source material but until we see any final product or a trailer, people seriously need to calm down.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I was just pointing out the problem with the thread

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Oh man, it's like a knife to all the awesome that is TMNT. Fifth turtle isn't so bad, but a alien planet of turtles just royally sucks.

I disagree. I'd rather there be a planet of them and four of them get stuck on earth than there be a fifth one.

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (40244 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Honestly, people are freaking out way too early. Yes I know, people are angry about the massive deviation from the source material but until we see any final product or a trailer, people seriously need to calm down.

Completely agreed. Let's wait to see if it's as ridiculous as everyone is assuming before treating the theory of a planet of turtles as fact.

Staff
#20 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: I'd rather they just stick to source material. But between these two options, i'd rather see a Fifth turtle that a planet full of them. Besides, who said the fifth turtle had to be a good guy?

#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Trolololol.

#22 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Completely agreed. Let's wait to see if it's as ridiculous as everyone is assuming before treating the theory of a planet of turtles as fact.

Indeed, that's the problem with most fanboys these days. They jump to conclusions way too quickly without even a hint of any solid material proof for how it would turn out.

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@ReVamp: I'd rather they just stick to source material. But between these two options, i'd rather see a Fifth turtle that a planet full of them. Besides, who said the fifth turtle had to be a good guy?

I'm swayed.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Slash could use a come back

#26 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: See? Make the fifth turtle evil if they even do that.

#27 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: Slash could use a come back

Just discovered who that is. LOL.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: He could be a great movie threat to them, he's proficient in all their weapons and can physically dominate all 4 of them at once

#29 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Eh, I feel that might be somewhat cheap.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: I doubt he could be the main bad guy but maybe a good henchman, way better than Tokka and Razhar from the second movie at least

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Fair enough.

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the only way I can see the alien thing working and not completely piss off the fans, Splinter's origin is the same, The Turtles arrive on Earth as infants in something like a Kryptonian birthing matrix ( not the exact thing but something similar). They land in a sewer outlet and the container busts open soaking Splinter in a chemical that keeps them alive but has side effects for Earth creatures which is why it mutates Splinter. Splinter assumes the chemical did the same to the Turtles so he raised them believing they were mutants then have them discover that they are the last 4 of an alien species. That way they are still Ninjas living in the sewers of New York with their mutated rat master and gives an adequate reason for them using ninja weapons instead of high tech space weapons

#33 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Well, it could also be something as simple as Aliens like the Utrom made the mutagen that turtles waddle in when they are in the sewers. I'm gonna listen to Laird when he says perhaps we are being to quick to jump to conclusions and maybe Bay misspoke when he said Aliens, maybe they are made indirectly by aliens, but are not aliens themselves. That way, they are still Mutant turtles and you still have their origin semi-intact. Think the 4kids animated shows which for a 4kids thing was actually pretty awesome where the Utrom are so intertwined with their history.

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: The utrom thing is actually what I'm hoping for I was just throwing out an acceptable option

#35 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I understood that, man. I just think we are now over-analyzing and over-thinking things when it could be something so simple. Just so long as I get a nod to the "Pizza dude's got thirty seconds" moment in the original movie, I will try and be patience with all the concepts they want to throw around.

#36 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7729 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope that is just bullsh*t... Because a 5th turtle and a planet of turtles would be 100% sh*t.

Guess we have to wait and find out.

#37 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Here's the only way I can see the alien thing working and not completely piss off the fans, Splinter's origin is the same, The Turtles arrive on Earth as infants in something like a Kryptonian birthing matrix ( not the exact thing but something similar). They land in a sewer outlet and the container busts open soaking Splinter in a chemical that keeps them alive but has side effects for Earth creatures which is why it mutates Splinter. Splinter assumes the chemical did the same to the Turtles so he raised them believing they were mutants then have them discover that they are the last 4 of an alien species. That way they are still Ninjas living in the sewers of New York with their mutated rat master and gives an adequate reason for them using ninja weapons instead of high tech space weapons

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@joshmightbe: Well, it could also be something as simple as Aliens like the Utrom made the mutagen that turtles waddle in when they are in the sewers. I'm gonna listen to Laird when he says perhaps we are being to quick to jump to conclusions and maybe Bay misspoke when he said Aliens, maybe they are made indirectly by aliens, but are not aliens themselves. That way, they are still Mutant turtles and you still have their origin semi-intact. Think the 4kids animated shows which for a 4kids thing was actually pretty awesome where the Utrom are so intertwined with their history.

You know all your ideas make me wish that is the plot of this &*%storm of a movie instead of the military upstaging the turtles and fighting Ultrom/ Shredder/ Krang. Because that is what it is...

#38 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

@joshmightbe said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

You know all your ideas make me wish that is the plot of this &*%storm of a movie instead of the military upstaging the turtles and fighting Ultrom/ Shredder/ Krang. Because that is what it is...

While I know Bay's MO, I haven't seen any sign that military is gonna get major or if any spotlight. I could see NYPD, but this is Ninja stuff. Ninjas are secretive and stick to the shadows. Plus I don't see full scale Alien invasion happening (at least in a first movie). I understand your skepticism and trust me, I am skeptic as well, but I think we are now just over-analyzing. We should wait like Laird said at least hear what the plan is before we go all nerd rage. Eastman seems involved or at least supportive so that should carry some weight.

#39 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

And if all you guys out there thought Laird was not sarcastic enough...

#40 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10238 posts) - - Show Bio

Laird just said that it was pure Sarcasm.

He posted thing online to make fun of Bay ideas.

Eastman in the other hand is pretty happy about this reboot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.