First TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Drawing to be Auctioned Off

Posted by G-Man (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

There's nothing like owning a piece of original comic book art. When it comes from an actual comic book, it's essentially one of a kind. Whether it's the cover or an interior page, owning the original art means everyone else in the world simply has a copy. Buying original art isn't difficult. There are many reputable places where you can find covers and pages from your favorite comics. But original art of containing the first appearance of characters is a little more difficult.

Kevin Eastman, co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has decided now is the time to let go of some of the original Turtles art. Not only is he going to send off some original artwork off to be auctioned, he's going to release the rarest piece he has, the very first drawing of the Turtles.

With all the TMNT talk lately and the passion fans have shown over the upcoming reboot, I can't imagine what this might go for. How much are TMNT fans willing to pay for the very first drawing?

This isn't the only piece Kevin will be auctioning off. Check out his blog on his Deviant Art page to see some pics of his other items including an original "resin-first cast" figure from the first line of action figures from Playmate Toys as well as a first printing and first printing press proof of the first issue. There are many many things going up for sale that will blow away TMNT collectors.

I couldn't imagine parting with some of these things if I was a creator. But I suppose there comes a time when you simply need to clear things out. There's no point in keeping things locked away. Some things should be cherished and enjoyed by those that can appreciate them. We'll have to keep an eye on these to see how much they go for.

Thanks to Wayne Edwards for the heads up.

#1 Posted by Baddamdog (2212 posts) - - Show Bio

all kinds of awesome

#2 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool

#3 Posted by TheGeekCritique (26 posts) - - Show Bio

It's amazing that an entertainment empire was built from pictures that look like they were drawn in a high school study hall. Makes us wonder what potential many of us have waiting in the wings :)

#4 Posted by danhimself (22716 posts) - - Show Bio

this would be amazing to own!!!

#5 Posted by pikahyper (12716 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe he would sell the first drawing that is crazy, is he hurting for money? I would think he still does pretty well from royalties and he should be making a good chunk of change from the new movie unless the studio cut him out of the picture by changing the name and concept just enough to weasel out of paying him. Even then something like that first drawing should stay in his family to be passed on.

#6 Posted by Trodorne (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its is great publicity in terms of trying cash in on the media attention and hype. Right now Eastman I would imagine is trying to get what he can since things has changed since the 90's. if anything why not try to sell one of your original drawings for a large amount of money, its a piece of pop culture history. mind you if i had those original drawings I have a huge urge to color those in myself.

#7 Posted by fables87 (1085 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone know what these are worth?

#8 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to own some of this stuff, if I had the money to bid on it.

#9 Posted by Loki2u (239 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in for $5 bucks!

#10 Edited by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG!!! I know I have a job and some cash...but wouldn't I give to have at least $5000 for this! It would be a great treasure....

Also a weird thought: If someone bought it and brought it to KEVIN SMITH'S SECRET STASH STORE in NEW JERSEY for SEASON 2 OF COMIC BOOK MEN....Jaws would be dropping...especially on national television...

#11 Posted by CrashLanden (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, as a long time fan of Eastman and Laird, I do not believe that is the first ever drawing and I think I could prove that. Peter Laird I believe drew the first version that looked a little more like a real turtle (with nunchaku and a mask if I remember right). Then Eastman drew a version. I think this is in some of the reprinted versions of the first issue along with some interviews they did way back when. I may be just being technical, but... Just sayin'.

#12 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

First drawing of TMNT, hell yes

#13 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

Very cool
#14 Posted by AlfoLantern (13 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Back to the Future, if someone destroy this drawing. It's the entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles history that will fade away. Nooooooooooooooooooo!

#15 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't imagine what this would even go for. Probably too rich for my blood. But darn that looks awesome!

#16 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

i wish i had money to buy it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.