Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1198 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

Director Jonathan Liebesman Talks TMNT Reboot

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The term "fanrage" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how the internet responded when producer Michael Bay (Transformers, Bad Boys) stated that the half-shelled heroes in the upcoming TMNT reboot would be from an alien race. Many have spoken out over the sheer speculation of a planet full of Turtles, and very few have jumped to defend the project. But now director Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans, Battle: LA) is weighing in on the so-called "turtlegate," speaking his mind on the matter and dishing out some new and important details while talking with Collider.

Regarding "alien race"

No Caption Provided
    “Look, it’s so funny. If everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from... that is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we're sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”

Will they be CGI or costumes?

“All I’ll say is that I love how they did The Rise of the Planet of the Apes. That was exceptional.”

What's the focus?

“We’re definitely into the action, but for me what’s more important than that is that it’s a story about brotherhood and friendship and responsibility. Right now, I’m with the characters because those are what attracted me to the movie. They’re the best characters I’ll have had a chance to deal with.”

How is Kevin Eastman involved?

“Whatever mythology we’re building on or expanding is coming from that guy, Kevin Eastman’s head, who created the Turtles in the first place. And so everything will tie in with the mythology; fans will be extremely excited with what we’re coming up with. A lot of it is stuff he’s wanted to do for a long time, but just hasn’t had the opportunity because now we have the budget and things on this film to expand it in the right way. And so, I’m happy that everyone is extremely passionate, and they will not be disappointed. It’s all coming from the best possible place for this franchise”

Does the director put your concerns at ease or are you still worried about the on-screen future of the Turtles? Are you happy with his implication the Turtles will be CGI in a live-action movie or did you want costumes like the 90s films? The reboot is currently slated for a Christmas 2013 release.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@k4tzm4n: Well I'm glad at least he took the Alien thing by the horns so to speak and called out fans's knowledge of the characters. Good for him.

“Look, it’s so funny. If everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from... that is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we're sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”

This gives some confidence that they are trying to be faithful and it looks like Eastman is trying to add input to the film. So I'm still skeptical, but I'm more interested at the same time.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TheGreyOutcastX: All this time I've been saying "I hope the 'alien race' thing is in regards to the ooze being alien technology." It's nice to see that's possibly the direction they're going with and Bay just skewered the project with a horribly vague statement.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

All this time I've been saying "I hope the 'alien race' thing is in regards to the ooze being alien technology." It's nice to see that's possibly the direction they're going with and Bay just skewered the project with a horribly vague statement.

I don't like doing this. But...

*Points at everyone*

I told you so.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By zackattack529

haha all the fans will love it. we live in a time where special effects wows people. BUT if Michael bay makes a sequel..then fan start to outrage saying the whole series sucked...thats what happened with transformers...when i first saw transformers. i thought..wow this was cool! it wasn't the best but it was really really cool! and everyone loved it..but then Michael made a sequel...*sigh...mike why did you have to go and do that :/ lol

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@k4tzm4n: Yea, you are not alone on that. I was hoping that was the idea as well. Nice to see the Director is doing the talking instead of Bay. Probably what he should have done in the beginning given fanboy hatred of Bayformers.

GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GLforHIRE

it helps but still leary of anything bay...I swear if one foot soldeier gets kicked in the chest and randomly explodes so help me..

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

Now if Bay had just said that in the first place most of this hate wouldn't have started spewing

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hectorsquall

Jonathan Liebesman said:

I don't think that he really understands why the fans are upset. People knew that it was alien ooze and Michael Bay clearly said "These turtles are from an alien race". There is a difference between "mutated via alien ooze" and "they are from an alien race".

Whatever the case, what Michael Bay said is clearly stupid because either they're aliens which ruins one of the core element of the mythos or he misspoke and is to stubborn to admit it even if it angers the fans. Meanwhile, all the other people who work on the project are trying to clean up is mess without giving too much away, which upsets the fans even more.

I still hope that the movie will be good and that the implication of Michael Bay won't ruin it but I doubt it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@hectorsquall: Actually, you'd be surprised by how many people have no clue the ooze is derived from alien technology.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@k4tzm4n: I blame the second movie for that along with keeping Vanilla Ice's career alive for an extra couple months

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

What I actually find to be the most reassuring in this interview is the following:

Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we're sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know,

This means if there was the "planet of turtles option" on the table, it is almost certainly removed after seeing such a powerful response from the fanbase. :D

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@k4tzm4n: One can hope, friend. ^_^

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hectorsquall

@k4tzm4n:

No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TheGreyOutcastX: @hectorsquall:

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@k4tzm4n:

No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TheGreyOutcastX: Fallout 3 ftw!

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@k4tzm4n: Lol, yep, Fallout 3 is still amazing.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I'm still skeptical, but I'm a little more hopeful now.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Mr. Dead Pool: That's very reasonable of you. :D

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Hazlenaut

so to be frank, bay is an idiot. the movie is still uncertain. The director Liebesman history is spotty. Still skeptic about it but I await more before I say anything about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.