Awesome Toy Picks: LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Posted by G-Man (30676 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we like to take a close look at cool comic book collectibles. The best way to do this is to dive in and open up the packaging to really see how they stack up. When it comes to LEGO, it's absolutely necessary to open up the packaging.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have made a huge comeback. Not only are they back to comics courtesy of IDW Publishing, they're also in the midst of animated adventures on Nickelodeon. They also have a few LEGO sets available. This week we're looking at two sets - Turtle Lair Attack and Shredder's Dragon Bike.

The Turtle Lair Attack contains 488 pieces and Shredder's Dragon Bike has 198. The Lair Attack retails for about $50 and Shredder's Bike retails for about $25. Of course the first thing you want to do when you open a LEGO package is sort the pieces.

== TEASER ==

The Turtles' Lair is pretty cool. As you know, they live underground. The Lair has a few levels and the tops is really street level.

There's a manhole opening that leads to the lair. You can turn the wheel on the side to make it open. This leads to the second level.

Of course the Turtles have to have an oven to make or heat up pizza. It's not like they can just go out to a pizza joint or have some delivered. There is a button on the back that pushes the pizza out. There's also a place to put their skateboards (the set comes with two). And there's also a crane because what lair doesn't need one of those?

The bottom level is where their plans are along with some tools and supplies. There is also a separate TV/monitor where the Turtles can sit back and entertain themselves.

I have to admit, Splinter is a little weird looking. He's not a regular LEGO figure because of his attire. The little statue off to the side can revolve in case you (or the Turtles) want to admire the back side, I guess.

Because the set comes with two skateboards the Turtles like to skateboard, there's a quarter pipe for them to use.

The detail isn't all in the front. There is some detail given to the back.

But that's enough about the lair. Unfortunately in order to have some real fun, the Turtles Lair needs to be discovered by the enemy.

There is also a little ramp you can put figures on and launch them.

What about Shredder's Dragon Bike? It's a little awkward getting him to sit with his cape. It can be done but you run the risk of putting a bend in his cape. That might sound silly but obviously you don't want to ruin the look of the figure. To accomodate this, you can make him stand while on his bike.

The set comes with Donatello. He has his own mode of transportation.

And of course you know this means it's time for a big showdown.

We can see that these sets are pretty cool. There are other Turtles sets as well. It looks like LEGO has struck again. It's going to be hard to resist picking all these up.

The other lesson we can learn is, the Turtles kick butt. Even in LEGO form.

Sadly, you can see Michaelangelo is not here. Guess that means I need to head back to the store and pick up another set!

Staff
#1 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

where was this awesome crap when i was a kid, also they really gotta come up with something better for shredder and wolverines claws.

#2 Posted by LaserLambert (635 posts) - - Show Bio

ahhhhh gosh spoilers! now we know what Shredder's face looks like aggggh. Just kidding.

weird that Bradford's helmet is just a generic hood in this.

I really will have to get a set of these, bummer that the whole quartet doesn't seem to come in one set though.

#3 Posted by Technicolorville (67 posts) - - Show Bio

This is way cool.

P.S Shredders scar reminded me of Prince Zuko from "Avatar: The Last Airbender".

#4 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17605 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they are okay.

#5 Posted by Mucklefluga (2524 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing all the turtles only have that one angry face each?

#6 Posted by Mr. Messy Face (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want these.

#7 Edited by ptigrusmagus (483 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes only one head piece per turtle, the ones from other sets have different faces tho. This hide out has so much detail and small addons! I have never been a fan of the way Lego does robes or dresses, just doesn't look good compared with others mini figures.

#8 Posted by JesterretseJ (37 posts) - - Show Bio

me want!

#9 Posted by ALFMutant (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Lego Ninja Turtles: The Videogame ?

#10 Posted by FlyingGrayson22 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha, the Shredder in the lair revolves because its a practice dummy, not to admire the back. :P

#11 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. The Leonardo lego looks badass!

#12 Posted by Mandrewgora (295 posts) - - Show Bio

aww man I kind of wished i got the turtles lair set...

#13 Posted by Lurkero (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly, you can see Michaelangelo is not here. Guess that means I need to head back to the store and pick up another set!

Lego doesn't have a single set of TMNT that contains all 4 turtles. That's pretty shifty. Besides that, the only TMNT set that looks appealing to me is the Shellraiser set, the rest don't offer much in terms of TMNT stuff. A set for the boxcar and all 4 turtles would have been the best.

#14 Posted by Tmul501 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lurkero said:

Lego doesn't have a single set of TMNT that contains all 4 turtles. That's pretty shifty. Besides that, the only TMNT set that looks appealing to me is the Shellraiser set, the rest don't offer much in terms of TMNT stuff. A set for the boxcar and all 4 turtles would have been the best.

Lego does that with all their sets for the most part. They did the same thing with the Avengers Legos. But, if you think about it, they're really only doing it so you have to spend more money if you want all of the mini figs. I agree, it is totally lame. I just bought the little one with Michelangelo. And that one is way too expensive for what you get ($13 for that one, and the $20 sets have many more pieces).

#15 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

i love the facial expressions on the Turtles, its a nice little touch

#16 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

That one Foot Clan soldier looks too much like Wolverine Origins Wade Wilson to me, lol. Still, awesome set here!

#17 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@DH69 said:

where was this awesome crap when i was a kid, also they really gotta come up with something better for shredder and wolverines claws.

Maybe like, alternate clawed hands that you can put in instead of the normal hands, when necessary?

That'd be kinda cool.

#18 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

No Michael Angelo?

(+)

#19 Posted by ccraft (5077 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, legos has gotten complicated!

#20 Posted by Inphase (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Lego is taking over.

#21 Posted by Mezmero (898 posts) - - Show Bio

Those round turtle heads remind me of the heads on Duplo people.

#22 Posted by CitizenJP (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, Legos have gotten so intricate these days since the 90's it's crazy. Pretty awesome to see though. Makes me wish I was a kid again.

#23 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have the bike but I have the sewer playset and it's awesome. It was awesome putting it together... I love Legos, if only they weren't so expensive: /

#24 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1660 posts) - - Show Bio

Already got 'em. They're awesome.

@ALFMutant said:

Lego Ninja Turtles: The Videogame ?

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if the Turtles alone are enough for a whole LEGO game.

#25 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

I have both of those Lego sets and they were both awesome to build. The TMNT sets are my favorite out of all of them

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.