Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1198 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

An Analysis of the New TMNT Designs

• 60 results
    War_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By War_Ruin

Bad, the design looks. Acting, the turtles look okay.

Classic design, they should stick to...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#52 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm not sure about their facial expressions looking so human now (even though I kind of knew this was going to happen anyway), but what I'm more concerned about is if they could get their personalities right (Mikey is playful and the comic relief and Raphael is the tough and hot headed member of the team). It would be interesting to see how this movie plays out though. Great article k4tzm4n!

Thank you very much!

I actually like the design of the Turltes in this movie. It's what I've been hearing of the story and their originals along with Shredder thay has me VERY worried :-/

Rumor is the REAL Shredder is located in Japan. I guess think of this as the U.S. branch?

I'm one of like 10 people on the internet who actually likes the Transformers movies. But this movie just looks completely awful. I'm not saying that as a Turtles fan, either. It just looks really, really bad.

Nah, I loved the first one at the time, enjoy the third (could use some major trimming), and despite some terrible editing and humor, at least the finale of the 2nd was enjoyable.

@blackpan1her said:

I don't care about the aesthetics,that,s fine, but they still put lips on them... WHY DO THEY HAVE LIPS?!

This is really my biggest issue. Reptiles...don't have lips.

As for the other aspects, I consider it like the clothing one wears. You dress fitting to your own personality, style, and sense of self. So Raph may not NEED sunglasses, but he likes them. Mikey may feel attuned to the old late 80's-90's skater culture, so he digs hoodies. Leo is obviously the most tradition-bound of the team, so prefers the traditional look.

I get it isn't REQUIRED, but it is reflective of their personalities. Now, I'm sure someone's thinking: "well they're turtles, why do they need clothes?" Well, they don't. But why do most comic book characters do some of the things they do? Well, it's who they are. Who they are written as. Now as to why it was never done before? Who knows, maybe it never came across anyone's mind. Maybe humanoid, talking, ninja-crime fighting turtles was enough. Now that people are familiar with them, you can grow them a little more each time.

I'm not saying I LOVE the designs. I'll always prefer the more original look (although the current cartoon found a fantastic balance, as has IDW) but it doesn't bother me. It doesn't turn me off from the film.

Likewise, but... it's not exactly appealing, either!

Why is Raphael's shell hanging onto his naked back as if not attached to him? It looks like he's got a kiddie pool on his back. Is that just unfinished CGI?

You know, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out and now it's really bugging me.

@k4tzm4n: 1) I don't think they'd find those things as easily in the sewer, but you have a point. 2) I saw the fan-edits, and I just couldn't take them seriously. As much respect as I have for the classic looks, I think the actual design for the movie says "human/turtle hybrid" rather than "anthropomorphic cartoon turtle".

T'was a joke, man ;) Well, yeah, they're fan edits, but the point is if the studio -- with its ample budget and all -- applied that design to the film, I have a feeling it would look better. But, like I said in the article, I'm hoping these lips/noses are at least warranted because they're humans that were mutated. Only time shall tell.

@amazingwebhead:

@amazingwebhead said:

Here's my thoughts:

• They live in a sewer. The fact that they're dressed up with random stuff like that shows it.
    • Of coarse they put such an emphasis on unnecessarily looking cool. (Like unused sunglasses) They're teenagers!
    • "The lips and noses look creepy". Dude, mutant turtles! Were you expecting them to look like cartoon characters? Everyone else apparently was.

I completely agree with you. I've never seen a Michael Bay movie in my life, so I don't know what to expect, but I don't understand the whole "ruining my childhood" stuff. Unless you're still a child, it's not ruining anything and if you were a child, a movie wouldn't ruin anything, you'd just go play or do something else. Run for your life- MAN BABIES! You don't have to watch it, and maybe some kids will really enjoy it.

I appreciate this article and thanks for your thoughts Gregg!

Yeah, the "my childhood" argument is silly. Literally everything from this franchise is easily accessible right now and no one is forcing people to see this movie or treat it as the new status quo. And you're welcome, thanks for reading!

@lvenger said:
    Loading Video...

"Give in to your hate Katzman. Let it flow through you. Give in to your anger!" You know you want to :P

But seriously excellent critique of the Turtles redesigned costumes. They do look way too clunky and way too overblown on screen to work well enough.

Ha! Thank you.

Flopsop200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Flopsop200

It's called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. If you can wrap your brain around that concept but find issue with with their accessories and/or them having lips then clearly this movie isn't for you.

No Caption Provided

As for them being somewhat bigger then they are normally depicted being a hindrance to there ability to get around stealthily....your joking right?

How is this anymore or less stealthy?

Also they are both creepy looking. The old ones only appear less so because we grew up with them. My 5 year old finds them both creepy but still wants to see the movie lol.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By infantfinite128

@amazingwebhead: I'm sorry about that! I clicked it on accident. And people have the absolute right to be upset. They do look creepy! I was actually referring the a lot of the youtube comments on the trailer threatening Michael Bay and stuff and acting like he's trying to attack them. I really don't know what to think. I love the new comics, so I have my preferred version and the 2003 show, but I'm really hoping the movie is good.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@flopsop200: Ah, the old "the concept alone is ridiculous, so who cares how they handle it" argument. Well, as a big fan, I do. There's a difference between making good changes and making changes that seem to add nothing good to the picture -- throwing tons of attire on them appears to be the latter.

No, I'm not joking. They appear to be significantly larger than in the '90 film -- by a few feet, at least, and bulkier, too. In fact, Raphael doesn't even look like he'd be able to make it through a smaller manhole in the city. And Donatello wearing a giant backpack? It's only common sense that would be counter-productive if someone is trying to be nimble.

As someone who grew up with the franchise -- born in '85 -- I can tell you I didn't find them creepy at all in the first two films. Unless they're mutated humans, the changes to their facial structure seems very, very odd.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#56  Edited By amazing_webhead

@k4tzm4n: Ah. The popped collar part tipped me off that you were joking, (since they don't actually wear shirts XD) but I wasn't sure. Well, I always had a problem with how the Turtles were rarely (if ever) drawn with noses, yet it never interfered with their sense of smell. And yes, the lips are kind of weird, but without them they'd look too cartoonish. But you're right, starting as humans would be an interesting direction to take the origins. (I always thought it would be cool if the turtles and Daredevil were created in the same accident)

@amazingwebhead: I'm sorry about that! I clicked it on accident. And people have the absolute right to be upset. They do look creepy! I was actually referring the a lot of the youtube comments on the trailer threatening Michael Bay and stuff and acting like he's trying to attack them. I really don't know what to think. I love the new comics, so I have my preferred version and the 2003 show, but I'm really hoping the movie is good.

Agreed. I'm just as worried as anyone that this will flop (not as worried as I am about the X-Men, though) but I wouldn't wish all the hate Bay is getting for this on my worst enemy, and I really do have high hopes for the film.

Flopsop200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Not at all I care very much how they handle it. So far I like what I see. As a big time fan I think expressing the characters unique personalities via trinkets in there clothing style is not a hindrance at all. I will withhold judgement until I see how there actual personalities are handled.

They are bigger, they are bulkier, no argument there. Maybe they can't enter a manhole, maybe they can. Perhaps they don't enter the sewer via a manhole at all but instead via a drainage outlet. Donnie's backpack seems odd but for all any of us know it might correlate to the plot.

You have me by a few years, I'm from 88 but I grew up with them as well. My point was that growing up with them would make us inclined not to find them creepy comparatively, when in fact they both kinda are. To test this I asked my niece which one was creepy (comparing the old and the new) and she said both are. She doesn't speak for everyone and neither do we so saying either is more creepy is baseless. Also they are literally humanoid turtles. They have enough in common with our structure that I'll give the lips a pass.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@amazingwebhead: Don't worry, I sincerely doubt it'll flop. The show is currently a marketing machine, so I imagine this will lure in A LOT of kids.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@k4tzm4n said:

@amazingwebhead: Don't worry, I sincerely doubt it'll flop. The show is currently a marketing machine, so I imagine this will lure in A LOT of kids.

Well, if kids today have better taste than modern television programming seems to think they have, then I'm reassured. (At least it's Nickelodeon and not Disney)

Reminds me of when I saw "Revenge of the Fallen" a few years back when I was almost 13. Let me tell you, being almost 13 + movie with Megan Fox = a lot of freakin' sweating.

Mellow_Hype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Michael Bay is known for not giving a damn about source material. IE:silver starscream, Black Ironhide, Silver Sidswipe, most of the movie robots.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sligHtly disappointed. I was tHinking K4tz was going to be mmore positive.

OH well, MetH believes tHe movie will be DOPE

-ABstract4$$#073-

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.