Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1198 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

25th Anniversary!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

i don't know about the rest of you but i remember when i was really young one of the first comics i started reading was the archie comics version the tmnt....i loved this book and from time to time i still dig out the old beat up issues to read....for you guys and girls like me here is som good news

In 1987, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series premiered as a five-part mini-series produced by Murakami-Wolf-Swenson, Inc. This version of Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman’s creations differed greatly from the Mirage Studios comic books. For example, Splinter was formerly an honorable ninja master named Hamato Yoshi and not Hamato Yoshi’s pet rat as in the comic book version. New characters such as Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, General Traag, Lord Dregg, the Punk Frogs and catch phrases like “Cowabunga!”, “Turtle Power!” and “Turtles fight with honor!” were all introduced in the series which lasted 10 seasons with a total of 193 episodes aired, making the longest running animated series in American history at the time of its final episode in 1996.

Meanwhile, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures, a new comic book series featuring a more family-oriented, all-ages version was published by Archie Comics in 1988. It started out as a three-issue mini-series before the ongoing series kicked off in 1989. The mini-series and the first four issues of TMNT Adventures mainly adapted episodes of the animated series but Stephen Murphy and Ryan Brown were brought in to introduce characters and create new stories that differed vastly from the show. One of the more memorable storylines was the three-part “The Future Shark Trilogy” from issues #42 through #44 which introduced future versions of the turtles.

TMNT Adventures enjoyed a lengthy run of 72 issues with numerous other special projects, annuals and mini-series.

But fans knew there was more.

There remains a story arc titled “The Forever War” that was originally planned to begin with TMNT Adventures #71 but it was not published at all. In its place, a filler arc, the two-part “How the Turtles Got Their Weapons” story was published in the final two issues instead.

All is not lost, though. According to Murphy on the 5th turtle blog, there are plans for a five-issue TMNT Adventures: The Forever War and trade paperback collection of selected TMNT Adventures as part of Mirage’s 25th anniversary “Shell-ebration” event in 2009.

As promised in our conversation with Mirage Publishing’s Managing Editor Dan Berger

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
    What ? The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have been around for 25 years ? Yeah... I guess that is about right

lol
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

it makes me feel old

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King_Saturn
    danhimself said:
    "it makes me feel old"
    Yeah it kinda does... I remember I was like 3 or 4 years old when that first live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie came out... oh the memories
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#5  Edited By EganTheVile1

WOW! I'm 26, grew up with these characters my whole life and they never stopped being cool to me, can't wait till 2011, Avengers and TMNT live action movies WOO-HOO! (And yes I know TMNT have already had 3 live action movies, I saw them all in theatres and own them on VHS, so don't crap on my parade cause I'm interested in seeing how a live action TMNT would look using todays special effects :P)

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By The_Martian

Wouldn't it be 22 years?

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#7  Edited By EganTheVile1

1984-2009=25 years

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.