k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

With TMNT #30, Tom Waltz jumps from character to character, further helping us experience and understand how they're feeling post-City Fall. On paper, this could sound like a totally dragged out concept since we already got a glimpse of that in the last issue, but thanks to some strong writing, it's a legitimately moving experience.

Without blatantly giving anything away, each character has their own unique and effective scene. We know how each is handling the situation, but watching it all unfold is honestly engrossing, especially when it connects to another character. They're able to juggle the cast very well and, despite a serious lack of action, there's never a dull moment. Having this all motivated by Mikey's caring letter really helped sell each scene, too. Right as things begin to look up, Waltz and the IDW crew leave us on a note that'll make you want to get your hands on the next issue right away. It's also interesting to see Waltz making a connection to UTROM EMPIRE, but it's unclear just how much interaction we'll see between the two books.

Ross Campbell's artwork matches the tone perfectly. There's such a strong look of innocence and compassion with every character and it really brings the story's atmosphere to life. This issue is likely to have you caring about these characters more than ever before -- you almost want to jump in and give them a hug. The visuals aren't all sympathy and sadness, either. The dynamic changes drastically during one of Leo's scenes and truly impresses. There's another visual change with Splinter that's praiseworthy and impactful. It's also worth nothing he does a fine job making Alopex and Raph look particularly fierce at times as well.

The Bad

As much as I love this issue, a lot of it is exposition and it's definitely noticeable. It almost feels like it's a jumping on point despite being the second chapter of the story. It makes total sense in the context of Mikey's letter, but recapping everything we just experienced -- even in his lovable voice -- feels a bit redundant.

It's a relatively minor gripe, but I'm not the biggest fan of how the Turtles' ankles are illustrated. Compared to the previous story, they almost seem swollen.

The Verdict

This issue is guaranteed to put your empathy into overdrive and is one of the best character-driven issues yet. Each individual gets a more than fair amount of focus and they all have incredibly humanizing voices. Throw in Campbell's powerful imagery and you've got one heck of an effective issue. This was a great insight into each character and beyond recommend to any and all TMNT fans. Even if you missed out on City Fall, there's more than enough exposition here to fill you in (but seriously, get around to City Fall at some point). Now it's time to see how Waltz plans to switch things up in the next issue...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

TMNT I love YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Interesting turn of events on that last page. A great issue!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this was a pretty emotional issue...won't lie and say I didn't tear up a little while reading it

Avatar image for thewrathoflucille
    TheWrathofLucille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I just pick up this issue without reading the previous 29 and be ok?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Can I just pick up this issue without reading the previous 29 and be ok?

"beyond recommend to any and all TMNT fans. Even if you missed out on City Fall, there's more than enough exposition here to fill you in (but seriously, get around to City Fall at some point). "

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Sweet can't wait to read this, seems like the problem I had with the last issue of the other characters not being fleshed out on the outcome of city fall is being addressed

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thewrathoflucille
    TheWrathofLucille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Thank you. yeah i just started collecting comics in September and this was too deep in.

Im a life long turtle fan so im going to buy it.. thanks.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Thank you. yeah i just started collecting comics in September and this was too deep in.

Well, welcome to the expensive hobby. As a fellow life long TMNT fan, I'm pretty confident you'll love the book. But yes, DEFINITELY buy the City Fall trades when you can!

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

TMNT I love YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

So glad I'm picking this up tomorrow!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@k4tzm4n said:

@thewrathoflucille said:

Well, welcome to the expensive hobby. As a fellow life long TMNT fan, I'm pretty confident you'll love the book. But yes, DEFINITELY buy the City Fall trades when you can!

I can vouche for this. I fell off with the TMNT, which I grew up loving, in my teenage years. The strong reviews of this book (excellently written by @k4tzm4n) piqued my interest with the start of City Fall. I've yet to be bored with an issue, and it has rekindled my love for the turtles.

This is an awesome series, currently my favorite ongoing title of all the publishers.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@thewrathoflucille said:

I can vouche for this. I fell off with the TMNT, which I grew up loving, in my teenage years. The strong reviews of this book (excellently written by @k4tzm4n) piqued my interest with the start of City Fall. I've yet to be bored with an issue, and it has rekindled my love for the turtles.

This is an awesome series, currently my favorite ongoing title of all the publishers.

thumbs up (380) Animated Gif on Giphy

thesleuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thesleuth

This series keeps being awesome. The ending seems to build up for some action.

DickDastardly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the cover. It really sets the tone for this issue nicely. When raph gave alopex the hotdog and she then came and joined them all.. My heart must have grown 3 sizes

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

You never really get to see the after affects of big events on characters, and I have really enjoyed the these past 2 issues, I really makes you feel the weight of the city fall arc.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

@fenderxx said:

You never really get to see the after affects of big events on characters, and I have really enjoyed the these past 2 issues, I really makes you feel the weight of the city fall arc.

Definitely agree. The feels from this issue... TMNT just never disappoints me, just wish more people would give it a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.