k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Who is Alopex and why should you care? Writer Brian Lynch and artist Ross Campbell set out to answer that question and I think they did a phenomenal job. Up until now, Alopex hasn't had all that much time to shine. She's mostly been presented as a rather formidable mutation, and while this issue certainly shows more of that, it also brings a whole lot of heart to the character and breathes so much more life into the villain.

Despite the TMNT universe being immersed in the stellar event 'City Fall,' you really don't need to do any homework before diving into this issue. Lynch does a more than able job crafting a very satisfying standalone story which not only delivers a much appreciated dose of action and rather awesome melees, but also revisits Alopex's origin story in a refreshing manner. We take a stroll down memory lane with Alopex as memories of her pre-mutation life come flashing back to her. The life of a fox may not seem all that enthralling, but Lynch does an fine job connecting it to her current dilemma and wrapping everything up in a way that'll definitely make you want to keep an eye on the character.

Campbell does a terrific job with the illustrations. You can feel the speed and force behind each vicious attack in the two big melees and he successfully animates the variety of locations. From a sleek corporate office to a snow-covered forest, the environments are every bit as engrossing as the characters. It's a detailed yet slightly cartoonish and animated look and that's a perfect fit for this universe. As for the coloring, each location often has a certain tone to it, but there's always something vivid thrown into the mix and gives each scene a unique and vivid appearance. This holds particularly true during the final moments and it really pays off. There's some really fantastic illustrations of Shredder to be found in the final scene.

The Bad

No major complaints. IDW continues to do an awesome job expanding the TMNT universe.

The Verdict

This micro-series issue accomplishes exactly what it set out to do: prove Alopex is an interesting character and worthy of her own issue. Before reading this, I wasn't sold all that much on the mutant, but a tight script, strong plot developments and solid visuals have made me do a total 180. If you're digging the current TMNT stuff, you definitely need to pick this up. Based on this chapter, it seems clear she may play a bigger role as 'City Fall' continues.

Oh, and A SECOND APPEARANCE FROM PRE-MUTATED BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY! Will 'City Fall' see the debut of the mutated versions? I certainly hope so.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am really considering starting to read TMNT. When does the next issue of the flagship book come out? And, is it a good jumping on point?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I keep missing TMNT micro series, need to keep up.

Avatar image for deactivated-62dfe515b2439
    deactivated-62dfe515b2439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battheman008: Next week. Not really, #22 started "City Fall" (#24 is next week) so I would start there.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battheman008: Next week. Not really, #22 started "City Fall" (#24 is next week) so I would start there.

Oh okay, thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-62dfe515b2439
    deactivated-62dfe515b2439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberchop979 said:

Oh okay, thanks.

I would still check it out though, it's really good. Maybe your LCS still has a few of the last 2 issues or there is always digital.

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw some preview pages of this and I have to admit, it really intrigued me. I think I will have to pick this up! :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'm always slow in getting the micro series but I'm always glad when I do

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've seen a solicit that says Bebop and Rocksteady are getting an issue in the micro-series.

kingdomenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By kingdomenic

Oh, and A SECOND APPEARANCE FROM PRE-MUTATED BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY!

Where was the first appearance? How did I miss that!?!?

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kingdomenic: In the first IDW TMNT micro series, the Raph issue, they show up for a panel or two.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was great. It also had some of the best Shredder moments in recent memory.

kingdomenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.