k4tzm4n's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Micro-Series #3 - Donatello review

Go ninja, go ninja, GO!

It's such a rare and beautiful thing when a franchise can return from your childhood with the same vibe it once had and survive the transition to modern times. The turtles are every bit as lovable as before, there's just 90% less cowabunga being screamed and, thankfully, no Super Shredder to be seen. Overflowing with nostalgia and a whole lot of fun, IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is something both new and old fans of the heroes in a half shell should check out.

But IDW knows one Ninja Turtle comic a month simply isn't enough to feed our fix. Enter the Micro Series. Each issue is dedicated to a story focusing around a single turtle. In this case, Donatello and his bo staff take center stage. So can the tech geek keep our attention or will he bore us to sleep with techno babble?

The Good

The issue is packed with light-hearted spirit. Everything from Donatello trying to bond with his brothers (Raph bench pressing his CPU monitors, for example) to meeting his internet arch-enemy, odds are this read will keep you smiling the whole time. The art, albeit nothing exceptional, fits the feel of the comic well and really compliments the action--and trust me, there's plenty of that in this one.

The Bad

There's only a minor connection to the overall plot taking place in the ongoing, so in the end this issue doesn't really move anything forward..

If you enjoy comedic heavy issues and have love for the TMNT, then I recommend shelling out (for a lack of better words) $3.99 for this issue. It's not great or a must read by any means, but it's a blast and it'll keep you grinning.

Excellent review! I just only wish my comic book store carried this series :(

Posted by Supreme Marvel

My favourite was always, Michelangelo. I never got into the comics. I only got as far as the animated series and films.

Posted by Afro_Warrior

Hmm... I may actually pick this up. What are your thoughts on the main series?

@Afro_Warrior said:

Hmm... I may actually pick this up. What are your thoughts on the main series?

I'm liking the ongoing a lot. It's honestly one of the titles I look forward to the most every month.

@Deranged Midget said:

Excellent review! I just only wish my comic book store carried this series :(

Thank you! Argh, that's terrible. Do they at least have the TPB for the first story?

@Supreme Marvel said:

Well, now is the perfect time to start, sir!

Posted by Afro_Warrior

@k4tzm4n:

Sounds good. Whats the most recent jumping on point?

Posted by k4tzm4n

@Afro_Warrior: They just released a TPB for #1-4 (Change is Constant), there have been 3 Micro issues (Mike, Donny, Raph) and we're currently on #7 of the ongoing. So I guess technically you could pick up #5 since that starts the new story, but honestly, I'd recommend just catching up since it's not that much to read.

Posted by ReVamp

Posted by Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: Hopefully, I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

@ReVamp said:

I recommended this review simply for the pun. Who cares about good content =P

Go ReVamp, go ReVamp, GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!

ReVamp! ReVamp rap!

I'll stop before I get too into that.

@Deranged Midget said:

@k4tzm4n: Hopefully, I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

I hope so. I just checked comiXology for you and unfortunately they don't have it. My response to has a link for the first TPB, btw.

Posted by ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

I recommended this review simply for the pun. Who cares about good content =P

Go ReVamp, go ReVamp, GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!

ReVamp! ReVamp rap!

I'll stop before I get too into that.

F*ck da police.

I want my grammy now.

Posted by Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: Wow thanks dude! That's a pretty good deal!

@ReVamp: lol.

@Deranged Midget: You're welcome!