k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

IDW Publishing's TMNT is doing a great job building a whole new story for the franchise, but with this annual, they're going back to the heroes in a half shell's roots. Co-written and illustrated by Kevin Eastman, this pricey annual feels like a comic from the '80s that was never printed. The only way you can really feel its connection to the current run is because of where the team lives. Aside from that, it's mostly a standalone tale. So no, it's not mandatory if you're following the current storyline.

You've probably noticed the hefty cover price. $7.99 is asking a lot for a comic, isn't it? Well, if Kevin Eastman's art and a whole lot of silly fun sounds like your cup of tea, then this just may be worth the price tag for you. Now, it's worth adding that the story isn't compelling, takes a whole lot of familiar beats, and seeing as most of it is in black and white, you just may become confused about who's who. Needless to say, there's quite a few bummers and I'll share more details about 'em below (see The Bad, silly), but Eastman brings his A game and there is some legitimate fun and laughs to be had with this ride.

Eastman's work remains consistently strong and it's a real treat seeing over 40 pages of him working with the team he co-created. Series colorist Ronda Pattison only chimes in in the beginning and the end, but her talented work really enhances Eastman's pencils and stays true to the tone he's creating. The story delivers a whole lot of nostalgia, too. It slightly expands the IDW mythos and brings back a familiar name or two. But for the most part, it's about silly banter and a lot of action illustrated by Eastman. I mean, we're talking about a story that has a sword called "stab slasher." Old school fans will probably have fun. New ones, though? This will likely be a disappointing way to spend $7.99.

The Bad

I'm obviously a big fan of Eastman's work, but the Ninja Turtles looked far too small in some panels -- like the Mirage versions -- and the IDW incarnations aren't that tiny.

New fans will likely find this to be an exhausting read. As said above, it feels dated and like something pull from the original Mirage series. That's not a jab at that series, because there's obviously stories from it that can stand the test of time. The very first issue is still something I enjoy a great deal, after all, and I regularly find myself rereading the collections. However, this story aims for a classic feeling but definitely drags at points and it's very dialogue heavy. I can only recommend this to people that'll embrace the fact it feels like an old and often sillier comic. If you accept it for what it is, you'll likely have a good time. Everyone else should avoid it, though.

Minor gripe: the Turtles engaged a new group of enemies -- a group which included a Triceraton -- but they seem shocked by his presence when it becomes the team against just him. It's just a little odd they didn't notice, you know, the big walking triceratops prior to that!

The Verdict

Honestly, I'm left feeling very mixed on this annual. First and foremost, the story has quite a few rough spots and has no strong connections to the current story arc. However, it is occasionally funny, expands the mythos in a fun way, and Eastman's art is a consistent joy (especially when Pattison's coloring is included). I found myself very torn between 3 and a 4-stars, but seeing as Eastman's art delivered regularly and this issue essentially embraces the franchise's earlier years, I'll side with 4-stars. I have my gripes, but overall, it did put a smile on my face every now and then and I had a blast looking at these pages. However, if you're not a big fan of Eastman's artwork and you don't want to read something that feels like a dated standalone story, I'd strongly recommend holding onto your $7.99.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The only problem I can think of was that it didn't really seem connected to the rest of the series.

Caladorcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@xwraith: That's because it isn't really. This issue was supposed to come out a couple of months ago to kick off the mini series, Turtles in Time.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only problem I have with the comic how it turns black and white in the middle-to-end.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By tparks

I'm ok with something like this for an annual, and do really like Eastman's work. Can't wait to read it. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caladorcp: I remember that. Do we know why it got delayed for three months?

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

Saying it feels like an old issue of Mirage makes me love it even more. Can't wait to pick it up. It's sad that when books are considered wordy that's a bad thing. For the price of a comic nowadays it needs to be wordy, especially for an $8.00 book.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@pingclang said:

Saying it feels like an old issue of Mirage makes me love it even more. Can't wait to pick it up. It's sad that when books are considered wordy that's a bad thing.For the price of a comic nowadays it needs to be wordy, especially for an $8.00 book.

Some of the banter was enjoyable and even made me laugh, but there was a good chunk where it felt like much more was being said than needed to (and honestly dragged) and it blocked up too much of Eastman's artwork at times.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Agree with the review, I would probably give it a 3, The very middle of the book I liked a lot but it just seemed to drag toward the end.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

No way in heck I'm paying $8 for a 48 page comic. Marvel and DC charge $5 for that. Image is releasing an 80 page Madman 3D book in November for $10. This just doesn't add up, and is kind of a price gouge.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

@k4tzm4n said:

@pingclang said:

Saying it feels like an old issue of Mirage makes me love it even more. Can't wait to pick it up. It's sad that when books are considered wordy that's a bad thing.For the price of a comic nowadays it needs to be wordy, especially for an $8.00 book.

Some of the banter was enjoyable and even made me laugh, but there was a good chunk where it felt like much more was being said than needed to (and honestly dragged) and it blocked up too much of Eastman's artwork at times.

It's all a matter of taste. Blocking the art is a bad thing but again, I don't want to read through it in 5-10 minutes like I do a Marvel book even when I take my time, with that big a price tag. Maybe that's why they chose to through the extra words in, trying to justify the price and keep the annual big. Either way, as long as you enjoyed it, we can both agree its a decent read.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.