Follow

Teen Titans

Team » Teen Titans appears in 2162 issues.

The Teen Titans are the premier team of young heroes in the DCU. Currently led by Damian Wayne, the team fights for the greater good and to recruit other young heroes like them.

The first gay Titan?

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OracleX

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/18/teen-titans-openly-gay-superhero/

I found this. This is the first gay titan to my knowledge. It looks interesting.

Who else is out of the closet in the comic world? Not many come to mind except in the Runaways and The Young Avengers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Thats cool, it was kind of misleading though...from the picture at the top of the page I thought it was going to be Tim Drake

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @OracleX: Batwoman (Kate Kane) is openly gay. This is very exciting though. It's about time that they added a gay young person to the mix.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#4  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@cattlebattle said:

Thats cool, it was kind of misleading though...from the picture at the top of the page I thought it was going to be Tim Drake

why is Tim the first titan to pop in to people's mind when someone mentions homosexuality lol

i dont have a problem with it, im just a bit curious

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@cattlebattle said:

why is Tim the first titan to pop in to people's mind when someone mentions homosexuality lol

Lol, the picture on the webpage that link directs you too has an image of Tim Drake at the top, thats why I thought it would be him, if you read along though, Its just that the charcter will be in Titans...its really just the cover of the issue, which Tim is on
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@cattlebattle said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@cattlebattle said:

Lol, the picture on the webpage that link directs you too has an image of Tim Drake at the top, thats why I thought it would be him, if you read along though, Its just that the charcter will be in Titans...its really just the cover of the issue, which Tim is on

lol i see.

i was sure the titans have had one gay member before but after looking around i just couldn't find one.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By keith71_98

Here we go again...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@cattlebattle said:

lol i see.

i was sure the titans have had one gay member before but after looking around i just couldn't find one.

Yes, definitely one old school Titan was gay, I can't remember who it was though....their definitely was one though
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Duo_forbidden

They almost made Jericho gay, but decided not to.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

Interesting that they're going for "flamboyant personality" but want it to be incidental to the character. Not a big deal. That could be a good approach to take.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@fodigg said:

Interesting that they're going for "flamboyant personality" but want it to be incidental to the character. Not a big deal. That could be a good approach to take.

Lol the only thing that worries me is how that personality is handled because it can easily come off very catty/b!tchy if not handled right or it can be entertaining

I laughed when i saw him out of costume because he looks just like one of my friends at school(just minus the purple)

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gethere
    @cattlebattle: I think it was Hero Cruz
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#13  Edited By RazzaTazz

Obsidian

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@gethere said:

@cattlebattle: I think it was Hero Cruz
    Bingo!!!!!!

@RazzaTazz said:

Obsidian

obsidian wasnt a titan, he was part of infinity inc

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: Right you are, I thought he was in for a bit at one point, but I guess not
    _Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By _Zombie_

@Avenging-X-Bolt: The OP said in the comic world, not just the Titans, unless my eyes are failing me at the young age of 17.

Wiccan and Hulkling are both gay and in a relationship with one another, aren't they? Or has that relationship since been broken up..?

Edit: Also forgot Northstar, Ult. Colossus, and Rawhide Kid(these are all off the top of my head, so things may of changed..)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mercy_

Other creators take note, this is how it's done. You create a NEW character, you don't retcon an old one. Well done.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: The OP said in the comic world, not just the Titans, unless my eyes are failing me at the young age of 17.

Wiccan and Hulkling are both gay and in a relationship with one another, aren't they? Or has that relationship since been broken up..?

im not responding to the op, cattlebattle, gethere, Razz, and i simply were trying to identify the ACTUAL first gay titan

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By _Zombie_

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Ah, my mistake then. I apologize.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By bingbangboom

I honestly wish that no one cared. This is what is wrong with the comic book industry that publishers fine that they have to make an announcement or press release when they have a gay character. Why? I honestly don't care that he is gay or whatever, its not really the point. Could you imagine this headline...

"Openly Black Superhero To Join DC's Relaunched 'Teen Titans'"

"Openly Female Superhero To Join DC's Relaunched 'Teen Titans'"

"Openly Duck Superhero To Join DC's Relaunched 'Teen Titans'"

Comic books dig themselves more in the whole when they make a big deal about these sort of things vs. just doing them to do them. I am sure there are good intentions with this but why? What movie or TV show do they have a press release or announcement saying that a minority is on that project.

The only people that tend to care are people that don't care about comic books anyway. I have been reading about gay superheros for over 10 years from Gen 13 to X-Men to Runaways. This is not something new. I think the odd thing though is they are "double dipping" with the Mexican thing. No offense to Mexicans but is this really a realistic representation of that culture? To my knowledge alot are strong Caltholics and Mexico ain't exactly Disneyland right now. The country is constantly fighting a drug war with no end and it is just weird.

It just sort of sounds like someone writing about things that they really don't understand. It is great to have a gay character that has faced absolutely no struggles with his sexuality but makes it unrealistic. The world is a harsh place and an entire village being pro-gay is just odd. But again this place does have super heros so maybe the new DCU is just a better happier place? If anything I guess it opens a dialogue Sorry about the rant though.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@bingbangboom said:

I honestly wish that no one cared. This is what is wrong with the comic book industry that publishers fine that they have to make an announcement or press release when they have a gay character. Why? I honestly don't care that he is gay or whatever, its not really the point. Could you imagine this headline...

Comic books dig themselves more in the whole when they make a big deal about these sort of things vs. just doing them to do them. I am sure there are good intentions with this but why? What movie or TV show do they have a press release or announcement saying that a minority is on that project.

The only people that tend to care are people that don't care about comic books anyway. I have been reading about gay superheros for over 10 years from Gen 13 to X-Men to Runaways. This is not something new. I think the odd thing though is they are "double dipping" with the Mexican thing. No offense to Mexicans but is this really a realistic representation of that culture? To my knowledge alot are strong Caltholics and Mexico ain't exactly Disneyland right now. The country is constantly fighting a drug war with no end and it is just weird.

It just sort of sounds like someone writing about things that they really don't understand. It is great to have a gay character that has faced absolutely no struggles with his sexuality but makes it unrealistic. The world is a harsh place and an entire village being pro-gay is just odd. But again this place does have super heros so maybe the new DCU is just a better happier place? If anything I guess it opens a dialogue Sorry about the rant though.

i dont really think anyone does care. i think alot of people just wanted to see who the hero is

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bingbangboom

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@bingbangboom said:

i dont really think anyone does care. i think alot of people just wanted to see who the hero is

It's the fact that they use it to try to sell more issues and gain the public attention. People do honestly care and these characters can help people, especially those people that struggle in life and want to end it all. If a silly character can help with that, all the better. But I think its just weird to note, "hey world, gay character here too! wanna see how gay he is?".

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle
    @bingbangboom said:

I actually loathe when they try to make characters a broad stereotype of where they were born, I think Marvel does this a lot more than DC has, Specifically I'm thinking about X-Men, Colossus and Nightcralwer for instance regularly use vernacular that is pretty much never used by any real people from their countries that speak english....you know what I mean. For instance I know a couple of people that are from parts of Russia and they don't walk around saying "tovarish" and call people "comrade" all the time, its just trying to to play up the fact that their foreign, which is silly...we, the readers, know where their from.

I just thought of this because you mentioned the Mexican culture, Skin was a Generation X character from the 90's who was mexican american, and he was just a horrible representation, calling girls chica all the time, and yes, he was a gang member before joining the team...stupid in my opinion. I think its nice to introduce characters whose life style is not commonplace of where they come from, it's different, and more realistic in a sense
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bingbangboom

@cattlebattle said:

@bingbangboom said:

I actually loathe when they try to make characters a broad stereotype of where they were born, I think Marvel does this a lot more than DC has, Specifically I'm thinking about X-Men, Colossus and Nightcralwer for instance regularly use vernacular that is pretty much never used by any real people from their countries that speak english....you know what I mean. For instance I know a couple of people that are from parts of Russia and they don't walk around saying "tovarish" and call people "comrade" all the time, its just trying to to play up the fact that their foreign, which is silly...we, the readers, know where their from. I just thought of this because you mentioned the Mexican culture, Skin was a Generation X character from the 90's who was mexican american, and he was just a horrible representation, calling girls chica all the time, and yes, he was a gang member before joining the team...stupid in my opinion. I think its nice to introduce characters whose life style is not commonplace of where they come from, it's different, and more realistic in a sense

I think when they did those "new" X-Men character they were trying to make that group more ethnic on purpose so those were ways that they used the diverse backgrounds. Remember Storm is from Africa. Had Banshee, etc. It is different these days but painting this view of Mexico being this happy go lucky place is just odd. I really doubt anyone did research to create that. They would have been better off just having him from another country that may have had accepting parents. Heck, I could see a Mexican parent accepting their child as being gay but the entire village?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCrowbar

Okay.
    1.) There are Mexicans that live outside the US and in Mexico that are gay.
    2.) Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch over a non-white gay person in comics. Gay isn't just a white thing(Not just CV but other sites and people I've talked find the idea of a non-white homosexual awkward. There are gays of all colors deal with it)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By longbowhunter

I'll have to wait and form an opinion when I read the book. But, as of right now I dig the idea. I've known a few gay men both flamboyant and not so much. I think he could be a likable character.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bingbangboom

I still remember this guy from X-Force/X-Statix and he was like the 4th gay character they had!

No Caption Provided
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cattlebattle
    @bingbangboom said:

@cattlebattle said:

@bingbangboom said:

I think when they did those "new" X-Men character they were trying to make that group more ethnic on purpose so those were ways that they used the diverse backgrounds. Remember Storm is from Africa. Had Banshee, etc. It is different these days but painting this view of Mexico being this happy go lucky place is just odd. I really doubt anyone did research to create that. They would have been better off just having him from another country that may have had accepting parents. Heck, I could see a Mexican parent accepting their child as being gay but the entire village?

Yeah, I'm no expert on Mexico or anything, as far as I know you are exactly right, they are very devout to Catholocism and they have a a heavy gang problem right now but I am sure there is at least one part of that country that isn't gang and crime ridden, maybe thats the magical place he is from LOL
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@bingbangboom said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@bingbangboom said:

It's the fact that they use it to try to sell more issues and gain the public attention. People do honestly care and these characters can help people, especially those people that struggle in life and want to end it all. If a silly character can help with that, all the better. But I think its just weird to note, "hey world, gay character here too! wanna see how gay he is?".

i was actually only referring to people on this thread.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iLLituracy

Okay. Cool. Why should I care?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Samimista

That's very interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.