Follow

Teen Titans

Team » Teen Titans appears in 2162 issues.

The Teen Titans are the premier team of young heroes in the DCU. Currently led by Damian Wayne, the team fights for the greater good and to recruit other young heroes like them.

Michael Jelenic Talks Teen Titans Go! 100th Episode and How the Show is Evolving

• 54 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Teen Titans Go! is about to show it's 100th episode. "And the Award For Sound Design Goes to Rob" actually airs today, Friday July 3, at 6/5C on Cartoon Network. The show has had a mix in reaction but there's no denying the success it's reached. Going in some strange territories at times, you never really know what to expect with each episode.

To mark this monumental episode, we spoke with co-producer, Michael Jelenic, about the show and what can we expect after this.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Do you remember how Teen Titans Go! was first described when you signed on as producer?

MICHAEL JELENIC: It wasn’t anything at that time. I think they just wanted to bring back the franchise. I think they wanted to bring back the characters in a more comedic take. I don’t think what the show became was exactly what in mind. I think it was probably going to be something close to Super Hero Squad, something that had a little bit of a mix of comedy and action. Maybe skewed a little bit younger but then it just naturally became something completely different.

CV: You’ve worked in the DC Animated Universe before with Batman: The Brave and the Bold and The Batman. Does working on Teen Titans Go! feel different?

JELENIC: Definitely. There’s a little bit of insanity that goes with working on Teen Titans Go! Every time we think we go a little bit too far or get too absurd, we discover that the show can get even weirder. I think those other shows were always sort of grounded in some sort of superhero reality. With this show, we try to pull as far away from the superhero stuff as possible. We rely on those characters and who they are.

No Caption Provided

CV: How’s it feel having the 100th episode ready to air?

JELENIC: It’s been sort of a whirlwind. We’ve been just pumping these episodes out at an incredible speed. It’s hard for us to even take a moment and enjoy it. In production, we’re already almost fifty past 100. This show is like an incredible machine but it’s exciting to have gotten this far and see the show still doing well, 100 episodes in.

CV: Is it a regular episode or are there plans to celebrate the milestone?

JELENIC: We did not plan something specific for the hundredth episode but it’s actually one of my favorite episodes. It’s a very high concept story. Raven makes a deal with a magical creature because the Titans are too loud for her so she gets rid of all the sounds in the world. The story culminates with all the sounds in the world being replaced by the Titans making sounds for everything from a door opening to a punch to whatever. The cast ends up doing the musical score, an acapella musical score. All the sounds FXs are produced by those guys so it’s a fun high concept episode.

CV: Trying to think back to all the episodes that have aired, was there ever one that you thought might be too crazy to air?

No Caption Provided

JELENIC: I knew they would all ‘make it.’ There’s always the question Aaron [Horvath], the other producer, and I are asking, whether or not we’re going to lose the audience on any particular idea. Is this idea just too weird? My sensibility leans more towards absurd and weird stuff so nothing’s too weird for me. Then I’ll see some of the reactions online and I think people are wondering how we’re coming up with these things. We had an episode where the Titans replaced money with bees. That didn’t seem too crazy to me but apparently people online were like, “Huh, this is pretty weird.” We’re always concerned but we don’t necessarily let that stop us from going to the weird places.

CV: This might be hard but are there any episodes that stand out for you?

JELENIC: Just because we’re popping them out so fast, I literally forget about the episode seconds after it’s turned in and recorded. If I had to pick one that sort of stands out, it’s the “Let’s Get Serious” episode where the characters try to get more serious. It was sort of the response to the criticism of the show. Apparently that whipped up quite a reaction online. It was kind of fun to see people talking about the show, both positively and negatively. That was a fun one for us to watch go out into the world.

CV: Any thoughts or plans on releasing a soundtrack with the different songs from the show?

JELENIC: I don’t know if there is. I do know we’re going to continue making a lot of musical numbers. I think the third season has a ton of them. We have a whole episode, in Season 3, that’s based around one of the songs we’ve used. It wasn’t a song we wrote but it’s called “Night Begins to Shine.” It appears for like ten seconds in one episode. Cyborg basically lip syncs to it. Despite only being on screen for ten seconds, people reacted to it online so we decided to do an entire episode around an 80s power ballad. So we’ll have stuff like that and continue to put in fun musical numbers. I imagine at some point there’s going to be an album but I don’t think there’s a plan right now.

CV: You worked on the “Music Meister” episode of Brave and the Bold, right?

JELENIC: Yes. That was a great experience. The music on this show is done in a completely different manner. With the Music Meister, we had a full orchestra and everything. That was a fun experience.

CV: You mentioned you’re already a bunch of episodes beyond the hundredth one, with episode 101, was it just business as usual? Can we expect more of the same in the next 100?

JELENIC: I think the show continues to evolve. I talked to the crew about the third season. They say half the episodes are stuff we saw, not that we’re repeating ourselves, but with the tone of Season 2. The other half is going into a completely different area. We’re doing a lot of weird interesting stuff. I think that’s exciting with as many episodes that we’ve done, the show continues to grow. We’re not just churning out exactly the same thing over and over.

Be sure to watch or set your DVR for tonight's 100th episode. If you haven't already, just set your DVR to record all the episodes. And make sure you watch the clip for the episode up above.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hard to believe it's already 100. I love the show and hope it makes it another 100.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't usually like to be the type to b***h about TV shows but this one is an exception. I hate this show more than I've ever hated any TV show I've ever seen.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: I love it too. Can't believe it's been this many episodes and people are still blaming this show for the end of the previous Titans show. Great thing is, he mentioned they're like fifty episodes past this one.

n25philly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Changes to the show? Will they make it watchable?

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wooo hooo sounds like we will get 150 episodes at the very least! I'm not ashamed to admit I'm 26 and I love this show

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People still complain but the articles and videos get so many views. We have one clip approaching 4 MILLION views on YouTube alone. That's not including the video views here.

I get that the show isn't for everyone and some are sad it's not what they want it to be. But it seems to be plenty for others.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love teen titans go but can we please have young justice back hahaha.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3

I just don't get how this show made it to 100 episodes, but Young Justice, Green Lantern: TAS, and Beware the Batman didn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do understand the appeal of this show it's Adventure Time with super heroes on paper that wounds great, in execution its just not for me. What I don't understand is how so many of these Adventure Time type shows are succeeding when fantastic action cartoons like Young Justice and Thundercats and Symbionic Titan cant last more than one season.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mangakid1995: Maybe the viewership for these types of shows are more committed? I loved YJ and ThunderCats as well. Maybe fans of those shows didn't watch consistently. Or maybe some watched on YouTube instead of the network? It is unfortunate. I loved those shows but I also dig this one.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

By this 100th episode, people should have learned that no one cares that they don't like this show.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By redwingx

I love this show. It's such a fun show to watch.

Devbob98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate this show, can't believe young Justice died for this.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: I don't think I'd hate it as much if my kid didn't love it and make me watch every episode. I just think it could be so much better. I'm cool with comedic super heroes but the jokes have to be good.

lkk102466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

let's get one thing clear...to all you people who stop everything to sit down and spout off about how much this show makes your internal organs hemorrhage and your life has lost all meaning since your beloved YJ, GLtAS and original Titans were abruptly cancelled, take a deep breath and get over yourself drama queen! we get it. we ALL loved those shows, but do you HONESTLY believe that the moron at CN who cancelled these shows is going to wake up one morning and return these shows just because a couple of people couldn't get over it? here's a thought, maybe they'll cancel teen titans go! and replace it with more tom and jerry and scooby friggin' doo. that way we can ALL be miserable.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By KritikalMassX

Despite my dislike towards TTG, I guess I can congratulate that it managed to reach 100 episodes.

It won't stop me from liking and/or watching Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, or Hulk And The Agents Of SMASH, though...At least those shows are a lot more tolerable and watchable.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lkk102466: I'd take a GOOD new Tom and Jerry show over this crap any day, at least Tom and Jerry has a history of actually being hilarious.

The biggest problem with this show is that it is a comedic show, and it isn't funny. I haven't gotten a single laugh out of any episode i've seen.

If they replaced 2 amazing shows with a hilarious one, well people would still be pissed, but less so, but they replaced it with crap, so we have a right to be pissed. Might as well tell Firefly fans to stop complaining.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

99 episodes later and i still can't see the appeal of this show.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Join the club.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrystalMaster
    frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By frozenedge2

@mangakid1995: Toy sales. That's pretty much why Young Justice and Green Lantern didn't survive. The same could probably be said for Thundercats while Symbionic Titan suffered from the Genndy curse.

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't think the show is funny, maybe I've outgrown the humor or maybe it's not for me or maybe I just miss the original series but, I think I can say for a lot of people that when we said we wanted Teen Titans back this isn't really what we had in mind.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

cobsohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@g_man: I agree I think YouTube and piracy definitely were factors as the older demographics know how to use computers to get around ads or purchase. They've said in the past it was merch problems. Kids just require more merchandise because they grow out of clothes, while I only need one Superman shirt because I'm going to stay a large.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gmanfromheck

@cobsohn: Is there a lot of TTGo merch? I know they put out some action figures but not as many as the Young Justice figures put out. Maybe there's more shirts and lunch box type things I just haven't seen?

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cartoon Network these days man. Thank goodness for Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe. In other news...

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By righteous300

Dodgeball, In and Out, and the Blackfire episode are my favorites.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Yay! I love this show. It is so funny and enjoyable.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This show is hilarious!

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100 episodes? so that's how long its been since YJ.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is great. You young adults complaining about the shows you grew up with need to move on.

There are still great shows on CN, including this. If you don't want to watch this, watch Steven Universe, the best show on CN. If you want something "mature" move on to some anime.

You know what? Having typed that, we need more mature western animation that looks like Korra.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I love this show, long may it reign.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made it to 100. Dang quality has gone down.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it before on here and i'll say it again. It's not bad, but i feel it's not great neither. It's more directed towards children rather then a mixed age range.

Congrats on them making it that far...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_stegman  Moderator

I love the show, and people bitter about YJ being cancelled need to get over it and realize it's not TTG's fault.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the fans of Young Justice: not long enough. (As if that show had anything to do with this one.)

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't get how this show made it to 100 episodes, but Young Justice, Green Lantern: TAS, and Beware the Batman didn't.

Beware The Batman wasn't that good.

I do understand the appeal of this show it's Adventure Time with super heroes on paper that wounds great, in execution its just not for me. What I don't understand is how so many of these Adventure Time type shows are succeeding when fantastic action cartoons like Young Justice and Thundercats and Symbionic Titan cant last more than one season.

Didn't Symbiotic Titan have two seasons?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicace3 said:

According to the fans of Young Justice: not long enough. (As if that show had anything to do with this one.)

it obviously doesn't

No Caption Provided

your point?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#39  Edited By Teerack

@g_man said:

@captainhoopla: I love it too. Can't believe it's been this many episodes and people are still blaming this show for the end of the previous Titans show. Great thing is, he mentioned they're like fifty episodes past this one.

The reason it went so fast is cause each episode is only 15 minutes so they can show two episodes in their time slot.

Avatar image for anabolic_steroid
    anabolic_steroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love TTG it's awesome.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have to admit the show is kinda funny

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have to admit the show is kinda funny

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
    @comicace3 said:

it obviously doesn't

No Caption Provided

your point?

The fact that at the 100th anniversary of an unrelated show, people still show up to whine about another show not being on the air any more.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By judasnixon

I don't usually like to be the type to b***h about TV shows but this one is an exception. I hate this show more than I've ever hated any TV show I've ever seen.

@devbob98 said:

Hate this show, can't believe young Justice died for this.

This made it to 100. Dang quality has gone down.

No Caption Provided
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: I find it really depressing when I see the amount of people who will defend a show that had an entire episode dedicated to the idea that being smart means you can't have friends. They literally said that the more ignorant you are the more friends you'll have and did nothing but support that idea for the whole episode. Its not only a dumb show, but a dumb show that's constantly telling children that they should feel bad for not being dumb too.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: oh paleeaase. Don't make false assumptions. No one here is whining. Not me at least. And let's talk about how these shows are unrelated,we have one show, which comes from the same comic book company, and aired on the same channel, along with another show, which comes from the same comic book company and airs on the same channel that appeals to a different audience ( for the most part children)and this show being mind numbingly wacky for my taste. Your next argument will probably be " but comicace the content and characters in this show are completely different from YJ which is why they aren't related" but then I say " oh outside you might have forgoten that teen titans blatantly made and episode featuring YJ to issue that fact that they weren't serious enough". Or to mock YJ fans. But I digress. Teen Titans Go! is obviously the better show as it has a larger fanbase and lasted longer than most DC shows that aired on CN. Happy 100th.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: oh paleeaase. Don't make false assumptions.

• No one here is whining. Not me at least.
    • And let's talk about how these shows are unrelated,we have one show, which comes from the same comic book company, and aired on the same channel, along with another show, which comes from the same comic book company and airs on the same channel that appeals to a different audience ( for the most part children)and this show being mind numbingly wacky for my taste.
    • Your next argument will probably be " but comicace the content and characters in this show are completely different from YJ which is why they aren't related"
    • but then I say " oh outside you might have forgoten that teen titans blatantly made and episode featuring YJ to issue that fact that they weren't serious enough". Or to mock YJ fans.

• We have different ideas of what whining means if this be the case. Right now I am counting everyone still complaining over this show when they should have moved on, long ago. And it's been 2 years now since YJ went off air, so don't you think it's time for people to move on when complaining over TTG on CV is not going to bring it back?
    • So you think Warner Bros can only handle one cartoon show at a time? Even though to the best of my knowledge, none of the essential people that were used to make YJ are being sealed off from doing anything else. And wasn't YJ in the air during the same time of the shorts?
    • Actually it wouldn't cross my mind as long as the people writing, directing, voicing and/or animating aren't entirely occupied by this one thing at a time.
    • It was made to mock the people still crying over the imagined assassination of YJ by TTG, even though we know it was because people just didn't buy the toys that went with it. TTG did not kill YJ, the lack of fan support did.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

Sure.

No I do not. And Yeah I remember TTG was a shory on air during YJ, and I still didnt enjoy this short.

OK

Yep I totally understand this argument. Toy sales were the main reason why YJ didn't last. Lots of people know it. I know it. Hence why I ended my the way I did. TTG has a larger fan base.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshmightbe

The people saying TTG didn't cause the cancelation of YJ are right. YJ was getting set up for failure from day 1 considering how inconsistently it aired, then you had network execs who based their success entirly on merch that didn't sell because it was primarily dollar store crap being sold a toys r us prices.

My issue with the show has nothing to do with what happened with YJ. My problem with this show is mainly that its telling kids constantly that being smart, being responcible and being a decent human being are all bad things.

Im not usually the type of person who harps about morality but do we really need a show for kids that appears to believe that being a stupid selfish asshole is a good thing?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.