Interview Teen Titans Movie

#1 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

The best runs on the Teen Titans comic included equal parts action, adventure and teen angst, including romance. Which of these elements are in your script?

VERHEIDEN: All of the above. It’s a story about 18-year-old teenagers trying to figure out what to do with their lives. They’ve been programmed up to this point as adjuncts to adult heroes and now that they’re 18 and becoming adults themselves, what are they going to do next? That includes how they go about doing the noble tasks they feel destined to do like fight crime and fight bad guys and then the other part is, what about the rest of their lives? What about their social lives? What about how they fit into society?

You mentioned the Titans are “adjuncts to adult heroes”—basically, legacy characters. How are you approaching that?

VERHEIDEN: If you’re dealing with “Somebody Lad” or whatever, they are going to refer to their parents. So whatever characters we’re using will definitely be referring to their adult counterpart. I don’t think the adult counterparts will be in the movie, but [the Titans] didn’t spring out of the ether. Who they are, who raised them and how they got to where they’re at are all important parts of the story.

Ensemble casts can be difficult to execute in action movies. How are you handling this in “Teen Titans”?

VERHEIDEN: Well, I’ve chosen the team [but the studio] asked me not to talk about which ones I’ve picked yet. Although, we’ve said that Robin/Nightwing is in it. If “X-Men” did point the way toward something it is that you can do the ensemble version. So this is definitely about a team of teenagers.

Obviously, there are characters you focus on a little more than others but what’s interesting about them is they have the same universal emotional issues and questions, like: Who are we? Where are we going? Classic issues we all had when we were 18.

What is the tone of the “Teen Titans” movie? Are you going to ground it in reality like “Batman Begins” or is it going to be more like a straight-out-of-a-comic-book movie?

VERHEIDEN: Well, I think we want a realistic tone. We don’t want it to feel campy or silly. Given that the characters are so amazing I think it’s important to ground everything else because the characters themselves are so astonishing and flamboyant, so the emotional realities of the story had better be pretty real otherwise you can fly off the handle pretty quick with this. The tone is really trying to find emotional truths for these guys and make those feel as real and as human as possible. You have to ground them so that when the amazing stuff starts happening you understand where they’re coming from.

What’s great about the “X-Men” movies is they found a tone where you can accept the guy with the crazy sideburns and the giant knives in his fingers and go, “Okay, I buy him as a human being as well as this action hero.”

Can you give us a hint as to what kind of a threat the Titans will be facing in the movie?

VERHEIDEN: I think I’ll keep that to myself for now. It is a very powerful threat and it will present situations I don’t think we’ve seen before, which is always fun to try and come up with. And it will be on a fairly massive scale. Comic book fans will not be unfamiliar with it. [Laughs]

What stage is the production in now?

VERHEIDEN: I’m still working on the script, so we’re sort of in the middle of the process. Of course, there are many vagaries of Hollywood out here so who knows what the future may bring—strikes and all kinds of stuff. But my mandate right now is to get the script to a place where [the studio] feels comfortable doing it.

What else are you working on?

VERHEIDEN: I’ve set up a project with Sony called “The Ark” which is based on a comic I did a few years ago. It’s with Dark Horse Productions and Neal [Moritz], who’s making “I Am Legend” right now. It’s a huge science fiction piece about creatures who cause all sorts of havoc.

The other movie coming up, which is done, is “My Name Is Bruce,” starring Bruce Campbell. The last I heard, we were getting it scored and the effects were about done. I’m not quite sure when it’s going to be released. It’s a crazy horror/comedy in which Bruce gets kidnapped by this small town in Oregon. They’re a bunch of nuts who think he’s actually the “Evil Dead” Bruce Campbell who can kill a monster that’s running loose in their town. They discover they didn’t get the real deal pretty quick. Hopefully, that will be coming out soon and we’re talking maybe even doing a sequel.

thoughts?

#2 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11266 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"****What is the tone of the “Teen Titans” movie? Are you going to ground it in reality like “Batman Begins” or is it going to be more like a straight-out-of-a-comic-book movie?**VERHEIDEN: Well, I think we want a realistic tone. We don’t want it to feel campy or silly. Given that the characters are so amazing I think it’s important to ground everything else because the characters themselves are so astonishing and flamboyant, so the emotional realities of the story had better be pretty real otherwise you can fly off the handle pretty quick with this. The tone is really trying to find emotional truths for these guys and make those feel as real and as human as possible. You have to ground them so that when the amazing stuff starts happening you understand where they’re coming from.What’s great about the “X-Men” movies is they found a tone where you can accept the guy with the crazy sideburns and the giant knives in his fingers and go, “Okay, I buy him as a human being as well as this action hero.”**Can you give us a hint as to what kind of a threat the Titans will be facing in the movie?**VERHEIDEN: I think I’ll keep that to myself for now. It is a very powerful threat and it will present situations I don’t think we’ve seen before, which is always fun to try and come up with. And it will be on a fairly massive scale. Comic book fans will not be unfamiliar with it. [Laughs]"

I would be so happy, if they make if like they did with Batman Begins.

"**What stage is the production in now?**VERHEIDEN: I’m still working on the script, so we’re sort of in the middle of the process. Of course, there are many vagaries of Hollywood out here so who knows what the future may bring—strikes and all kinds of stuff. But my mandate right now is to get the script to a place where [the studio] feels comfortable doing it."

I've been told that i could look like a Richard Grayson, by some of my Nightwing fan friends. If i could i would audition for the role of Richard or Tim.

What characters, would people like to see in it?

I would like to see;

Robin - Richard Grayson

Starfire

Cyborg

Beast Boy crosses fingers

Raven
Post Edited:2008-01-31 11:57:30
Post Edited:2008-01-31 11:58:11

#3 Posted by Waver (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see

Roy Harper/Red Arrow/Speedy/Arsenal, JUST because no-one ever gives him any credit for anything. Its worse for him that it is for Garth/Aqualad/Tempest. I want Troia to be in it too, that would be nice as well ( Same with all the originals.)

#4 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

What stage are they at now?

it's been 4 years since this was posted so they're either quite far into the film or it's been cancelled.

#5 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

it's been 4 years since this was posted so they're either quite far into the film or it's been cancelled.

What do you think?

#6 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

If they want it to be realistic they should look at young justice for reference.

#7 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

There was this Justice league movie in the works a few years ago but it got cancelled around 2006 so it doesn't look for this movie.

#8 Posted by cattlebattle (12982 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake said:

If they want it to be realistic they should look at young justice for reference.

agreed.

They should just start with the original 5.......and build from there. The only problem is...everyone would be clamoring to see Dick as Nightwing, which he didn't become until he was roughly 17 or so, when the titans first started, I don' think he was any older than 13. There would have to be time gaps between films, which I guess they should also use Young Justice as a reference LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.