Follow

Teen Titans

Team » Teen Titans appears in 2162 issues.

The Teen Titans are the premier team of young heroes in the DCU. Currently led by Damian Wayne, the team fights for the greater good and to recruit other young heroes like them.

First Teen Titans team?

Avatar image for littleredrobinhood
    LittleRedRobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, with the New 52 (which I love, btw), obviously some past events are still canon while others have been removed.

Based on what I've read, I'm curious ... which incarnation of the Teen Titans are we on now? The 1st or 2nd? There seems to be some conflicting evidence...

Exhibit A) In TT#4, Red Robin announces the name of the team as if it is something he just came up with. His teammate, Bunker, also reacts as if it is a name he's never heard before...

RedRobin: "I was thinking something like... Teen Titans."

Bunker: "It's sexy. Alliterative. I like it."

Exhibit B) In RHATO#6 we see a flashback in which Nightwing is leading Starfire and Arsenal in battle. Arsenal refers to Nightwing as "boss." Could this possibly be any scenario other than a previous incarnation of the Teen Titans??

Thanks in advance for all info and/or theories!!

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By htb106

Originally there was meant to be a team before the current one but DC decided that wasn't the case, they said there was another team but they never went by the name "Teen Titans".

Lobdell did say that Tim Drake read a comic when he was younger called Teen Titans and that inspired him to use that name.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Onemoreposter

Lame.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

@Onemoreposter said:

Lame.

x2

Avatar image for littleredrobinhood
    LittleRedRobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@htb106 said:

Originally there was meant to be a team before the current one but DC decided that wasn't the case, they said there was another team but they never went by the name "Teen Titans".

Lobdell did say that Tim Drake read a comic when he was younger called Teen Titans and that inspired him to use that name.

OK. That actually works. Thanks! It is a little lame but at least it can hold water.

I mean, super heroes do team ups all the time. I know Spidey always used to be buddies with Human Torch, Beast and Wolverine, but they were never "team mates."

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinestro2828

@Onemoreposter said:

Lame.

I agree, VERY LAME. Erasing the history of the most popular Titans team and making it seem as though Tim Drake was the first guy to come up with the Teen Titan name is just lame, & insulting to the fan base who know better. I could accept Drake taking on the responsibility of carrying on the Titans legacy, but not that he and his group are the first official Teen Titans and that the ones prior were just a bunch of loosely organized super pals with no name.

New 52 has been making mistakes left and right, but what they've done to the Titans is the worst by far. Altering tidbits of Titan history to fit modern times or erasing newer or less popular storylines to make way for new ones is one thing, but making it so that the adventures of Wolfman's & Perez's titans NEVER HAPPENED is just EPIC FAIL on the grandest scale possible. Not to mention the new lineup of Titans is far from being all that inspiring, three ex-sidekicks plus three newbs who just seem to scream "canon fodder" can't replace any of the past lineups, especially not Marv's Titans lineup. Considering how popular and recent the titans cartoon series was (and with a second version on the way), one has to wonder why DC didn't just de-age Starfire, Dick, BB, Raven, & Cy and make them the Titans again and start over from scratch with new stories, its certainly a better call than the one they ultimately made, especially if a complete and total reboot was really necessary (though I still think they didn't have to erase the previous Titan generations just to make it look like the latest team are the first or something).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7  Edited By Outside_85

@htb106 said:

When did he say this? (Altho it is exactely how Barry Allen chose his name...by reading about a comic book character called Jay Garrick)

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DurararaFTW

To be fair, Arsenal, Nightwing and Starfire have served together in the Outsiders. That maybe what the flashback was about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.