Rare Taskmaster Image - where is this from?

#1 Edited by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this image on an old Taskmaster fan site.

Seems to be part of a cover - Does anyone know what issue this is?

is it real?

Is that really Taskmaster?

Because damn, it looks cool.

#2 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: Wish I could help you dude, but as of right now, that cover is not in my collection, nor can I find any leads on it online. Your best hope is that someone who happens to own it recognizes it (assuming it IS real, that is), since Google can't get a bead on it through a description and it's not under any obvious lists. If I should happen to come across it in the future I'll let you know.

#3 Posted by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

:( I was afraid of that.

I saw this on Taskmastersite(dot)com. But it has been down for like years and I never got the chance to ask the admin guy where he got it. I think this image has a kinda Udon-ish feel to it. Looks too pro to be fanart.

Oh wait!! I recall the caption sounded something like "Unused Udon Taskmaster Concept Art" or something to that effect.

#4 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm... I don't know, my attention leans more towards the bar-code and "Issue...", I'm not so sure they would have put those on concept art. I do agree that the art has an eastern feel to it, but I don't see this in Udon's run or as part of the mangaverse. I think what's also interesting is Iron Man in the background. Notice his armor, it's based some of his older designs (looks similar to the MK III, IV and V models), but the red on the helmets of those models weren't as prominent, which means this armor is none of the above, but rather the Renaissance Armor. So unless this was a brand new design that was never acknowledged, the story-line of this issue (again, assuming that this is genuine in the first place), should have taken place either within the timeline of Iron Man's original run with the Renaissance Armor, or during Dark Reign. And failing that, the only other possibility left would be an alternate Earth.

Fanart or not, real or not, it'd be nice to see Tasky get a new costume in the future. I mean I like his classic costume, it's iconic, and I'd like to see it pop up every now and then. But even the people who found the Udon suit generic have to admit that it was more practical, and that that energy thing was boss. I want an explanation as to why he doesn't have that anymore, but then again, maybe that's why they've completely ignored Udon so far: maybe they can't think of one either.

#5 Posted by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I was able to message one of the guys from Udon over the weekend, found out some interesting stuff...

According to them this cover was (a pitch) done by artist Francis Manapul - who was supposed to be the artist for the 2002 Taskmaster series. However, before Marvel could give the green light ~ he was hired by DC to do something else, causing UDON to do a switch with the creative team.

(Wow ~ imagine if this is what "merc" Taskmaster looked like lol.)

#6 Posted by Joygirl (20004 posts) - - Show Bio

Ninja pirate batman. O.O

#7 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo Wow. I don't know how to feel, I mean, I like this look, but I really liked what Udon ended up with. Like, I'm sad that there was never a run using this look, but I'm glad it wasn't used because I loved what they replaced it with... HOLY FRICKEN S***!!! I just remembered! Deadpool #68, during Udon's run, when they tied their new Taskmaster into Deadpool's story with the Black Swan and Taskmaster tells Deadpool what he knows about him:

IT WAS THERE ALL ALONG!!! They snuck it in as an "old costume". That is undeniable proof that Udon were involved with this look, good call on that. I can't believe I forgot about this, I'm so disappointed with myself right now! :(

But seriously dude, thanks for clearing up the story behind that image, it was starting to bother me. :)

#8 Posted by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@bazdan said:

@themimegogo Wow. I don't know how to feel, I mean, I like this look, but I really liked what Udon ended up with. Like, I'm sad that there was never a run using this look, but I'm glad it wasn't used because I loved what they replaced it with... HOLY FRICKEN S***!!! I just remembered! Deadpool #68, during Udon's run, when they tied their new Taskmaster into Deadpool's story with the Black Swan and Taskmaster tells Deadpool what he knows about him:

IT WAS THERE ALL ALONG!!! They snuck it in as an "old costume". That is undeniable proof that Udon were involved with this look, good call on that. I can't believe I forgot about this, I'm so disappointed with myself right now! :(

But seriously dude, thanks for clearing up the story behind that image, it was starting to bother me. :)

OMFG!!!! THERE IT IS! wow~ that's so cool! We can officially mark the outfit a legit alternate look for Tasky in the 616 universe yes?

#9 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: Unless they someday deny Udon's run altogether and categorize this story-line as non-canon (which is unlikely considering that Deadpool's story, along with Agent X's entire creation, depend(s) on this right here), most definitely.

#10 Edited by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Check this out...

Something we can have our "fanimagination" - link up.

In Spider - Woman origins, we see Taskmastaster early in his career as a Hydra instructor and field agent. You can see the outfit he uses, minus the cape - have a similar look to the merc outfit from his deadpool flashback.

I'm inclined to believe that at this time he was probably still testing out what look he wanted to go with.

By the way, just in case some of you guys are on watchmojo(.)com - I sent a suggestion to have a Supper villain Origin Video be made for Taskmaster.

That'll only happen if it gets voted up tho :( Please show some love by liking it. The more Tasky is in the public subconscious, the more popular he can become :)

http://watchmojo.com/suggest/Supervillain+Origin:+Taskmaster go under origins (in most recent suggestions).

also: my growing Taskmaster Collection check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/photoreflex/media_set?set=a.679074875439381.1073741826.100000106241303&type=1

(by the way - the link feature doesn't seem to be working for me - anyone know what to do?)

#11 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice. I'm sure it's unlikely that those similarities were on purpose but it lines up so well I think the writers would be wise to simply go along with this train of thought. I need to make an account on watchmojo, but I'll vote Tasky up later for sure.

The real prize of this post however, is that collection you have. I'm really digging the way you're posting info about the issues underneath with scans, it acts almost like a quick course in Taskmaster history. I haven't gone through all of it, but I noticed you mentioned Sandi as being the first love interest presented to Taskmaster, to which I feel I should inquire: have you heard of the Siren miniseries? I know that sounds quite vague, Siren was a character from the Ultraverse, the world of Malibu Comics, which Marvel bought in '94. After gaining the rights to the new characters, they indulged in several crossover series' between Marvel and the Ultraverse. One such series, the one I'm referring to, was a 4-issue miniseries (numbered: Infinity, 1, 2, 3), involving the character of "Siren" who, caught in portal, suddenly finds herself in Taskmaster's room at one of his academies in the Marvel Universe. I don't want to spoil this series if you are unaware of it, but there is a semi-romance between the two. The other two main characters are Diamondback and some random kid named Kyi who can teleport.

Unfortunately the series had a weird ending, weird because it was a cliffhanger, but there was never any actual conclusion to it. Marvel got rid of the Ultraverse (it still exists but they've done nothing with it, some rights debate last I heard), and you'll find that Kyi and Siren are never mentioned again beyond that last issue and there's no explanation or allocation of time given for what happened with Taskmaster between the end of this series and his next appearance.

I dragged that out a bit much. My point is that this was the first ever series to give Taskmaster a love interest and that that love interest was Siren, before Marvel cut the cord.

Since friends have said my way of phrasing things like this can come off as aggressive, let me just assure you that I have no problem with Sandi as a character, I think she's so natural yet so flawed that she actually pairs up pretty nicely with Taskmaster, a perfect woman wouldn't seem quite right with him, those grey areas she has: the bad gambling luck, the poor taste in boyfriends, her overall emotional weakness. The desire in him to see her luck change has enormous potential for character development.

However, the truth is that those four issues were enough for Siren to grow on me: she was a quick learner/fast thinker, she could fight, had an aggressive side and a lot of ego, but was quick to play along with a scenario and get crafty when out of her depth. I get that it was her miniseries and not his, hence why she clearly stole the show from him (Taskmaster has little fighting of his own in this miniseries, he just gives the orders), but she just seemed so much more lively. Whether she would've stayed with Tasky long is debatable anyway since these are comics after all, so I can't say if she was his perfect match, but they were a more entertaining duo to watch, whereas all Sandi-related entertainment comes from Taskmaster bending over backwards to try and protect/fix her life.

To be honest though, whatever they want to do with his love-life doesn't really bother me, but if they're gonna do something, I wish they'd stop leaving his relationships up in the air (Siren is just forgotten, is he technically still with Sandi? Mercedes is back to being that one woman we never knew existed and apparently there's the possibility of a certain, random, unnamed, baby-momma who trained under him, that we never got to meet in the first place, and are likely never going to explore).

Also, don't know about the link feature man, your links work for me to click on, I'm not sure what else you're trying to do.

#12 Edited by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Man oh man,

you just re-arranged my collecting plans. lol.

I did see the Siren series pop on plenty of Taskmaster searches - but it was originally low on my "to buy" priority list. I had no idea there was a little romantic situation going on there, but since you brought it up - this will be on my next purchase order for sure...

(aaannd corrected that 1st love interest thing with Sandi too... thanks for pointing it out)

About the links - if I post the link directly, it works fine, but if I use the "link" button on the comicvine's text box and paste a link in it all I keep getting is "tis a barren wasteland" O.o

#13 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Well then, I truly hope you enjoy it. Like I said, it's her book, so it's more about her story with Taskmaster in the background, but he is essential for these four issues.

Whilst on the subject of correcting, however: first of all you are welcome, second of all I must now amend myself, as I found time to track down a 5th issue (titled Siren Special, which is sort of a standalone continuation that was never classed as being part of the miniseries), that does kind of wrap up the Siren mini-story-line, but only for her, and it's still open ended, I'm going to have to try and sort out the order of these Ultraverse comics to see if there's any more continuation for her. But even if there is, it'll likely just be a short wrap-up to give her story-line closure, as I think Siren Special came out right near the end of the Ultraverse comics IIRC (but don't hold me to that). I know her comicvine page lists only 24 issues, but I don't know how many came before or after the miniseries so I can't be certain.

And those links... I've had that error from some links posted on these forums, but I've never really messed around with the link feature, I took enough of a risk trying to work the Tweet feature. XD

#14 Posted by themimegogo (51 posts) - - Show Bio

#

@bazdan said:

Well then, I truly hope you enjoy it. Like I said, it's her book, so it's more about

her

story with Taskmaster in the background, but he

is

essential for these four issues.

Whilst on the subject of correcting, however: first of all you are welcome, second of all I must now amend myself, as I found time to track down a 5th issue (titled Siren Special, which is sort of a standalone continuation that was never classed as being part of the miniseries), that does kind of wrap up the Siren mini-story-line, but only for her, and it's still open ended, I'm going to have to try and sort out the order of these Ultraverse comics to see if there's any more continuation for her. But even if there is, it'll likely just be a short wrap-up to give her story-line closure, as I think Siren Special came out right near the end of the Ultraverse comics IIRC (but don't hold me to that). I know her comicvine page lists only 24 issues, but I don't know how many came before or after the miniseries so I can't be certain.

And those links... I've had that error from some links posted on these forums, but I've never really messed around with the link feature, I took enough of a risk trying to work the Tweet feature. XD

Dude, i'll be making a purchase of Siren soon, I kinda find the info over at Tasky's comic appearance section confusing. It says he had 4 appearances in Siren, but when you click it - it only shows issue 1 - 3... so I gotta ask - does he show up in Siren # 4?

#15 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: That's faulty info, I just skimmed through them all and he is definitely in all four, the only thing I've mentioned that he is not featured in is Siren Special, the unofficial issue 5 (and even there we still see an image of him as he is referenced).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.