Follow

Taskmaster

Character » Taskmaster appears in 731 issues.

Taskmaster possesses the ability to absorb knowledge and instantly replicate the combat skills of anyone he observes. He has used these skills as a teacher to many super villains, henchmen, and even some heroes. In order to clean his record, he started working for the U.S. government as a combat instructor. Due to a set of events, he was ultimately put in as sheriff of the criminal island known as Bagalia. He currently serves as Madame Hydra's personal bodyguard.

I want Taskmaster to lead his own team of pro mercenaries.

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Degalon

Think about it.  There's so many "Professionals" out there in marvel just sitting on their butts.  I mean, wouldn't it be amazing to have Taskmaster get his own group of highly profession and efficient big name mercenaries together?  Not as a group of supervillains, but actual mercenaries...kind of like DC's Secret Six. 

Off the top of my head, Constrictor and the Shocker are two perfect candidates for being on a pro team led by Taskmaster.  Both are very focused, professional and capable, despite their defeats by heroes.  They don't lose focus, they don't have egomania, and they are both excellent at cooperating on a team.

I mean, he tried a team before with Agent X and Deadpool, but those two just flat aren't really team players.  especially not deadpool, much as I love him.  He's a solo merc. 

As cheesy as it sounds, I'd love for Marvel to make a series out of it, called "Professional" or "The Professionals" or something. 

Waddya think?  Any ideas on other focused, capable recruits for this kind of team?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Would buy/10
    Sandi Brandenburg and Outlaw needs to be on this team.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

Oh my God, I would love to see more Taskmaster.  Especially in an anti-hero ensemble.  I miss Constrictor.  Frank & Brian were a good team in Avengers: Initiative.  Not quite heroes, not quite super villains.  And to stir it up, they could have a run in ith Diamondback...? 

I can imagine the line, "No task is too big, no fee is too big..." ripping off Ghostbusters ;)

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Degalon
    Taskmaster with Constrictor, Paladin (I know that he is in Heroes For Hire now, but he makes more sense as merceenary than a superhero) and Underworld (they MUST return him from comic book Limbo!). Maybe add Domino and Outlaw.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Feliciano2040

Given his relationship to SHIELD and Nick Fury I would actually want Taskmaster on a Marvel Black Ops Team.

And no, I'm not talking about those nancies called Secret Avengers.

Avatar image for steeped_velocity
    Steeped_Velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Steeped_Velocity

That would actually be a pretty decent read. I think I'd probably slate a five team line up of Taskmaster, Agent X, Outlaw, with a rotating two spot membership to be filled by suitable candidates depending on the mission, and Sandi working the phones. That way there's a sort of nod to Agency X which would be its precursor, and a way of highlighting some new and old characters that might be underused or just simply taken as a joke in other comics - sort of like Catman was before Secret Six.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i'd read it

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @fesak said:
    Would buy/10.
    Concur. Funny I was day dreaming about a Taskmaster led merc team. Glad to know I'm not alone.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

WIN.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I enjoyed the Taskmaster mini, would want to see more of him in full swing.

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Bluefox170
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    WIN.
    Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Degalon
    @Steeped_Velocity

I'd have to say no to Agent X, unless they got rid of his obesity.  The point here is for it to be a team of professionals, hence no goofballs like Deadpool (though his recent X-force appearances have started to convince me otherwise) and Agent-X aka, the new Blob.

Outlaw, sure.  And I think Sandi was Taskmaster's girlfriend, so sure, why not.

That said, I'd love for Taskmaster to not only use his Udon merc outfit, but for the other members to get "Udonized" uniforms to match.

That style of practical uniform just makes em look so much more professional than the bright and gimmicky supervillain costumes.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By labarith

Sounds good.  I wonder if deadpool can join another team? 

I also wonder if Bullseye'd be up for this. 

Elektra's an option too.  

His work in the Initiative was pretty cool.  Maybe reassemble that?

Avatar image for steeped_velocity
    Steeped_Velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steeped_Velocity
    @Degalon
    Yeah, Agent X really needs to be brought back to his original fighting weight. But I'd take him over Deadpool for this team, because he's actually saner and generally more professionally competent than Wade's been in a while. I also enjoyed the sort of begruding respect/antagonistic relationship both him and Taskmaster had going on during his mini-run, particularly towards the end. 

And totally agree on the re-call of the Udon outfits! While the Skeletor the Pirate look has sort of grown on me over the years, I still have to fight the mental image of the local chapter of the Scooby-doo gang turning up to unmask him and reveal him as Jarvis. 

@Labarith:
    Bullseye's a little too much of a wild card in my eyes to really contend for this sort of team, and all too prone to unnecessary killing sprees to really gel well. 
    Elektra, too, isn't exactly a team player. Plus, without Matt around to show she's got some deep level of character, she has a tendency to come off flat in most of her non-Daredevil appearances to date. Then again, maybe this could be a platform to show a little more too her, I dunno.
    Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Degalon
    @Steeped_Velocity:  

Yeah, there's too many people here just saying they want their favorite characters in the team, without considering how they mesh with a team.
    TheVenetian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheVenetian

Currently I'd agree with Constrictor, and maybe Bullseye, but also Maverick, now that he's depowered again it would be really good, seeing as most of his skills aren't really mutant. And just to mix things up Crossbones. As a side note as Taskmaster's memory is screwy he gets offered a chance to address the problem by the goverment and ends up working on the same team as Venom, think a more black opsy version of him.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wattup

Taskmaster is my favourite Marvel character so I'd be all over such a series. They could even add in Finesse from Avengers Academy since she may be his daughter.

As long as Deadpool's not a member, I'm golden! 8 )

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I would totally read this, some one pitch it to marvel 

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Degalon

@Wattup: Adding Finesse would be a opening up a whole other can of worms, since one of her defining traits is her struggling to NOT become villainous. Joining a group of hired guns would go against that, lol. Though Taskmaster offering her the choice alone would be an interesting story idea in and of itself.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wattup

@Degalon said:

@Wattup: Adding Finesse would be a opening up a whole other can of worms, since one of her defining traits is her struggling to NOT become villainous. Joining a group of hired guns would go against that, lol. Though Taskmaster offering her the choice alone would be an interesting story idea in and of itself.

I mostly suggested it for the storyline reasons. It would be interesting to see if TM would have a moral dilemma with his daughter on a merc team with him but also how they get to know each other, etc. Their scene in Avengers Academy where he talks about their skills and his memory problems, particularly how he'll struggle to remember her even after their first meeting, was some powerful stuff.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By windcaster

I think punisher and the BAD girls would be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I would at least be intrigued by the concept, but without some bigger names on the roster it wouldn't last 12 issues.

- Constrictor, Paladin, all make sense but none pull in enough fans to give the title a prayer

- With the right names in the book, and a premise that ties it into the rest of the Marvel U just enough for crossover appeal, it could make it as a niche title

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dernman

I like Taskemaster better as a trainer for hire not a merc for hire.

Redletter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Redletter

Ultimate professional killer Team

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And of course their first target as a team would be Dead-pool

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BloodTalon

@Degalon said:

@Steeped_Velocity: I'd have to say no to Agent X, unless they got rid of his obesity. The point here is for it to be a team of professionals, hence no goofballs like Deadpool (though his recent X-force appearances have started to convince me otherwise) and Agent-X aka, the new Blob. Outlaw, sure. And I think Sandi was Taskmaster's girlfriend, so sure, why not. That said, I'd love for Taskmaster to not only use his Udon merc outfit, but for the other members to get "Udonized" uniforms to match. That style of practical uniform just makes em look so much more professional than the bright and gimmicky supervillain costumes.

I like your idea a lot. The Udon outfit was way better and I am old so I remember him before it and I am sad that he has regressed visually.

I think a good team would be Taskmaster (leader), Constrictor (second in command), Spy Master (stealth guy), Rhino (the tank), Out Law and Domino (they bring guns and mad skills) and rounding out the team I like the idea of Sandi running the books and paper work side of the group you know laundering money and other stuff.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I keep saying we need "Taskmaster & Constrictor" as as series.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997  Online

He is a great character that isn't developed enough by Marvel.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#28  Edited By xerox_kitty

It was a nice twist seeing Taskie train up some newbie, would-be heroes in Alpha Flight. But it's time to see him go back to his semi-criminal roots ;)

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

This would be genius.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By darktiger

Tasky definitively needs his own group

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JamDamage

why isn't a Thunderbolt yet?

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And after seeing Shocker being all awesomely professional merc in Villains for Hire, i'm even more convinced he should be part of this group.

themimegogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should lead the Hand, and the Scourges of the Underworld.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.