How the heck does he get his power to work for him?

#1 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never understood how Taskmaster gets his 'movement mimicry' power to work out for him. All fighters and acrobats he may want to copy have different heights, weights, and various other differences in body dimensions. It doesn't seem very logical to me that Taskmaster can study a series of backflips performed by someone of a notably different body type from his own, then when he puts his muscles through the exact same motions he will get the exact same effect. Or, concerning the common example of Taskmaster playing a concert piano piece after seeing it played just once, Taskmaster's hands and fingers and arms must have had different sizes and lengths from those of the concert pianist. If he had copied the muscle movements exactly, it seems like he should have made a huge mess of it.
#2 Posted by Portrait (4484 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus: Comic physics. Anything can happen.
#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91105 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" I've never understood how Taskmaster gets his 'movement mimicry' power to work out for him. All fighters and acrobats he may want to copy have different heights, weights, and various other differences in body dimensions. It doesn't seem very logical to me that Taskmaster can study a series of backflips performed by someone of a notably different body type from his own, then when he puts his muscles through the exact same motions he will get the exact same effect. Or, concerning the common example of Taskmaster playing a concert piano piece after seeing it played just once, Taskmaster's hands and fingers and arms must have had different sizes and lengths from those of the concert pianist. If he had copied the muscle movements exactly, it seems like he should have made a huge mess of it. "

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

what i dont understand about taskmaster is how he got his power they say hes not a mutant so how did he get it
#5 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called photographic reflexes actually. The sizes of a pianists fingers don't really matter since they aren't really that drastic, his muscles remember the pattern of the notes and the exact grace of movement, so he just sits down and plays. Taskmaster simply copies the movements down the the tiniest twitch of muscle, he can't copy all the exact attributes of a fighter. For example, he can watch Spider-Man fight and copy some of his moves, but since he himself doesn't have the flexibility of Spider-Man, he cannot copy everything that Spider-Man can do acrobatically. But since Taskmaster himself is very well fit, possibly higher than an Olympic level athlete, he can copy the moves of simularly fit fighters down to a tee like Captain America and Black Panther.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91105 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" what i dont understand about taskmaster is how he got his power they say hes not a mutant so how did he get it "
Because Photographic reflexes technically isn't a power....
#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:
it is on heros
#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91105 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @Vance Astro: it is on heros "
The writer has very little understanding of super powered beings.He doesn't even read comics.
#9 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@The WeatherMan said:
"

It's called photographic reflexes actually. The sizes of a pianists fingers don't really matter since they aren't really that drastic, his muscles remember the pattern of the notes and the exact grace of movement, so he just sits down and plays. Taskmaster simply copies the movements down the the tiniest twitch of muscle, he can't copy all the exact attributes of a fighter. For example, he can watch Spider-Man fight and copy some of his moves, but since he himself doesn't have the flexibility of Spider-Man, he cannot copy everything that Spider-Man can do acrobatically. But since Taskmaster himself is very well fit, possibly higher than an Olympic level athlete, he can copy the moves of simularly fit fighters down to a tee like Captain America and Black Panther.

"

Yes, but some of the moves and actions of fighters like Cap and Black Panther require incredible precision to pull off correctly. Say perhaps Captain America is slightly taller and has more of his weight in his upper body than Taskmaster does. Cap could perform an incredibly complex and precise series of moves, and they would work perfectly for him because he made all of his muscle movements in accordance with his own height, weight, and balance. Taskmaster could see that and put his own muscles through the exact same movements, but it probably wouldn't work the same way for him. He's shorter than Cap and his weight is balanced differently, so he may over-rotate a little in a backflip. Then his balance will be off, and none of his movments will involve shifting his weight to regain balance, since Cap didn't make those movements. Before long, the fact that his body dimensions are slightly different than Cap's would cause him to fall over completely, and he would finish the complex series of moves while laying on the ground. 
At least that's how it seems like it should go.
#10 Posted by drone.devil (47 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" @The WeatherMan said:
"

"
Yes, but some of the moves and actions of fighters like Cap and Black Panther require incredible precision to pull off correctly. Say perhaps Captain America is slightly taller and has more of his weight in his upper body than Taskmaster does. Cap could perform an incredibly complex and precise series of moves, and they would work perfectly for him because he made all of his muscle movements in accordance with his own height, weight, and balance. Taskmaster could see that and put his own muscles through the exact same movements, but it probably wouldn't work the same way for him. He's shorter than Cap and his weight is balanced differently, so he may over-rotate a little in a backflip. Then his balance will be off, and none of his movments will involve shifting his weight to regain balance, since Cap didn't make those movements. Before long, the fact that his body dimensions are slightly different than Cap's would cause him to fall over completely, and he would finish the complex series of moves while laying on the ground. At least that's how it seems like it should go. "

1.  its a freakin comic book.
2.  as a hypothetical response....you could argue he fine tunes the maneuvers while he trains to his own body type, although he's been shown to pick up new moves on the fly which spits in the face of my hypothetical response.  maybe if he had a really good writer who obsessively thought those things through.....but if they did that how many comics would ever get shipped?
#11 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
what i dont understand about taskmaster is how he got his power they say hes not a mutant so how did he get it
  It was answered in Taskmaster: Unthinkable, by Fred Van Lente and Jefté Palo.
#12 Posted by Hyperlight (5427 posts) - - Show Bio

@Feliciano2040 said:

@joshmightbe said:
It was answered in Taskmaster: Unthinkable, by Fred Van Lente and Jefté Palo.

isnt it just a skill. like his brain works that way?

#13 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

he similar to kat from alphas. @ vance astro what 's the name of the movie with the girl fighting in that clip from?

#14 Edited by blackwolf0925 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: I can answer that my friend. It is called Chocolate. It is a Korean action film about a girl with Autism. She learns to mimic other fighters just by watching them. The story is ok in my opinion, but if you want good action it does not get any better then this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.