Could Secret Avengers fix Taskmaster?

#1 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I think anyone who’s read many comics featuring Taskmaster will agree that following his most recent miniseries, Taskmaster was broken as a character. I’m assuming that around 80% of the people likely to find themselves on this forum have read that miniseries and know what I’m referring to, but for the sake of the 20%, if you want to avoid spoilers for Van Lente's 2010 run on Taskmaster, also known as “Taskmaster Volume 2”, this is your chance to leave before walking into spoilers.

Honestly, I started to write this topic to raise more hope that Taskmaster’s somewhat recent inconsistencies can be fixed and explained if written appropriately. I was going to share an idea on one way it could be done, then ask you guys ways you think it could be done and everybody has some give and take feedback on each other’s approaches to decide as a group on the best way forward. Even though nobody here has the rights to write a third miniseries and we may not be writers, it’d be nice to see what the various people here think of him and how they’d “fix” him, if they could. But you see, as I started to write stuff down I remembered stuff is being done with him in Secret Avengers Volume 2, which I must say I’m really enjoying.

I will now share with you a quote from issue #6, said by S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Ellis Love: “This bloke—Taskmaster—his head's already good and @#$!. The hippocampus—his memory function—whatever we did to him in the old days, it’s shorted out now.”

Now for me, that sticks out. We heard Mercedes mention in Van Lente's run that the cortisol in the super-brain injection was harmful to the hippocampus after long-term exposure (which ties in perfectly with Ellis’ analysis), but Ellis specifically says: “whatever we did to him”. Now thinking back, we never saw what happened immediately after the injection (the side-effects as they have been explained so far require long-term exposure to take effect, so we can conclude that we definitely haven’t yet seen the moment he first began to forget things). So then where is the proof in-panel, that the injection was responsible for his damaged hippocampus? This was “an elaborate modification” by a mad scientist after all, what if he found a catalyst that could suppress that side-effect (total sci-fi ridiculousness, but you know, comics…) and made it part of the formula? Unfortunately however, at that point in the comic we cut to the revelation that Mercedes is Tony’s wife and just drop the flashback without any further explanation. This leaves a few questions yet to be answered: how did S.H.I.E.L.D. let “one of [Fury’s] best agents” just disappear and become a notorious criminal? More to the point, neither Fury nor any currently established stories involved Taskmaster regaining his memory of S.H.I.E.L.D. and working for them out of duty, in fact, the way Nick Fury recounts his story to Cap implies that Taskmaster’s wife went rogue after the incident to manipulate him, alone, and S.H.I.E.L.D. never had direct contact with him, but he doesn't say how or why Taskmaster went rogue (Mercedes says that after Tony’s injection and the explosions caused during the raid, they were the sole survivors and turned O.D.E.S.S.A. into the Org and begun their operation together, but there is no motivation presented for why they would do this).Why would Fury let Mercedes go rogue rather than giving her support? He cares enough about Taskmaster as an asset to let him be on the loose, and collects the intel Merced gathers without a fuss. He said himself that Tony Masters was one of his best agents. And Merced clearly reports to Fury as if he is still her superior and he gives her orders like he would any other S.H.I.E.L.D. member, which sounds like she’s not as rogue as she’s implied to be. The history of Taskmaster is still missing some pretty vital chunks and is covered in lies…

So here I should point out, I don’t know much about Ellis’ story, although a brief search I did tells me she was first properly introduced as a character in 2010, previously being a raft prisoner. Being fairly new then, I am guessing that she had nothing to do with Taskmaster in the past, although she says to Daisy, “He’s not—look, I told Hill this wouldn't work—" implying that she has at least been familiarized with the state of Taskmaster’s brain and refers to S.H.I.E.L.D. using him in the old days as if she’s aware of something. Yet when explaining the problem of his brain to Daisy she didn't say “someone” or take a swing at naming some kind of organization or person or drug that may have caused his condition. She said “we”, and Daisy did not deny/correct/elaborate on the matter. Even though it was a stressful situation and you could maybe say that Ellis was talking nonsense and maybe Daisy was too single-minded to enlighten her, Taskmaster’s involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D. as an agent has been non-existent as far as we've seen, so why does Ellis call out S.H.I.E.L.D. as being the ones to mess up Tony’s brain? Is it possible that S.H.I.E.L.D. has super-secret files on missions which utilized Taskmaster as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Maybe Ellis was shown portions of this data prior to the mission so that she would be prepared for tampering with Taskmaster’s unusual mind? What if S.H.I.E.L.D. tampering with Taskmaster’s head is what actually gave him amnesia? Those messed up Hitler clones didn't seem amnesiac but I suppose it is hard to tell with some crazy mixed in…

S.H.I.E.L.D. could have been giving Taskmaster new memories and wiping his old ones just like they've been doing in Secret Avengers to protect their information from retrieval through telepathy, but if Taskmaster’s brain is unique and supercharged, who’s to say that his altered brain wasn't scarred by their methods. Imagine for a moment that they wanted to replace some of his memories, but due to his photographic memory he would see it all clearly and spot inconsistencies between his fake cover memories and the truth, which he would then doubt and question, maybe even see through, making him an espionage flight-risk. So they raise the bar to extremes to ensure that they can deceive him, they start fragmenting his mind but his mind cracks and he loses contact with all or most of his memories, only now S.H.I.E.L.D. can’t reconnect his memory network for some reason (imagine if you will a Rubik’s Cube: Taskmaster’s brain was always a perfect Rubik’s Cube, but S.H.I.E.L.D. twisted it around a lot to keep their adversaries from solving it and now even they can’t solve the cube). Come to think of it, the way the primer was described by Gorscht, Taskmaster should be able to “absorb knowledge instantaneously”, yet his photographic reflexes are all we've ever seen him demonstrate, which I would assume is only one aspect of what the primer is supposedly capable of. If they followed that train of thought… I should stop…

The point of this post that I actually wanted to put forward is this: with Taskmaster’s recent rise in popularity, followed by his significant role in Secret Avengers, and the convenient relevance/coincidence of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s favorite espionage tactic when compared to Taskmaster’s condition, do you think that some Taskmaster revelations are likely to be revealed in this volume? And if so, do you think that they might find a way to fix the blatant inconsistencies left in the wake of Van Lente's Taskmaster? I know there’s a likely chance that the next issue(s) will reveal what I've put forward here to be way off the mark (hell, you guys might beat them to it), but I’m interested in what you think. Do you think they planned out a way to fix him when they decided to include him in this series? What do you think they’ll do with him as the series goes on? What do you want them to do?

#2 Edited by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Bazdan, hats off to you bro, your passion for Tasky is very admirable and is something I look up too especially now that I've just started to collect Taskmaster comic Appearances.

When my gf got me the Unthinkable TBP for Christmas, reading it ruined totally ruined my mood. He was well fleshed out, and on his way to being more developed for the better, then Van Lente had to crash the ride. But what's done is done.

I had just recently joined twitter, and followed Nick Spencer hoping I could shout this out to him, but all I could utter was "Great work on Secret Avengers, ill grab my issue 8 tomorrow". >__< Talk about chickening out.

Anyway - Spencer did mention that he will do a small in-depth spotlight into the SA members before he takes a break for the upcoming Infinity tie in (issue 10 and 11 was it?). Meaning there is like 1 issue left for that? Perhaps at this point it might be too late if he has finished the script for it already. How the next few issues turn out (if they have a Tasky focus at all) will definitely show if Spencer did his research or if he's just looking at the appearances since Van Lente's run.

All that said, I HOPE they do fix this up ~ There are some things to (hopefully writers will-) consider:

1 - Didn't they put nano-tech things in his brain back during the Civil War ~ Siege era? I remember him mentioning it when he started as the initiative's instructor - but I might have missed the part where they mentioned it was taken out? Unthinkable happened directly after Seige when he and Constrictor made a run for Japan (Segway to point #2)

2 - Unless I'm mistaken, Constrictor's next appearance after Siege was in Bagalia when they tried to free Tasky, but at that point he was part of the Crowd that wanted to kill Tasky - what happened? did he just "forget" the bonding they had during the initiative? Did he also just "forget" that he had a thing with Diamond Back that was left unresolved? (BTW was Constrictor in the Hole when Tasky fought Agent Venom?) Point being - linking up all these character inconsistencies can be done if another character also did some "forgetting".

3 - I don't doubt Mercedes was telling the truth about being his wife (Sandi, you listening?) but there are a lot of other things in her "Story" and Taskmaster's "remembering stuff" that could easily be a false or an implanted / damaged memory. The old "I don't trust my own memories" thing has been used lots of times before, I don't see why his "recovered memories" in Unthinkable can't be false or another cover up of sorts.

I don't feel that Tasky's case is hopeless. If Marvel and future writers want to take him seriously, the problem actually opens itself up for some good writing opportunities. I'll be getting Secret Avengers 8 after work later today, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

#3 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: I'm honestly very flattered to hear that dude, I appreciate it. Taskmaster is a character I personally find easy to relate to, and he has grown to be my favourite Marvel character, the first and only comic character so far that I've completely read up on (well, almost), missing only a few 'what if' issues and the DC crossovers AFAIK (his appearances sound like they'd be rather insignificant and predictably written, but I'll get around to them eventually). I'm glad to hear you're collecting his appearances, because although some writers have not been kind to him I still found his stories worth reading.

And I hear where you're coming from about chickening out, hell, I didn't even have the nerve to post here until I came across your posts on that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fiasco. I needed that, it gave me an excuse to post, got me through the looking glass, and so far I like it here. Thank you for that.

In regards to the topic: The next issue seems like it will be too focused on Daisy and Maria to fit in time for Taskmaster, I guess we'll have to wait a little while. I want to think that he has done all his research, the writing so far has been good, more along the lines of his Initiative/Dark Reign characterization. I like how funny he has made Taskmaster's moments, I'm just hoping there's more than that to come, what can I say? I'm greedy. As for your points:

1. You have no idea how glad I am to hear you bring that up. As I said, I was originally going to post my personal approach to where I would begin patching things up, and that right there was a point I had raised. I went back and read through the issues to see if anyone mentioned a removal of the nodes but couldn't find any such info. I wondered, since S.H.I.E.L.D. had a hand in pretty much everything there: he went from the prison S.H.I.E.L.D. owned, straight to a training camp thought up by S.H.I.E.L.D.'s then-current director, what if the drones had ulterior motives? It wasn't until after Siege that he first showed amnesia after all, the nodes could have done a lot to his head (obscuring memories, inserting new ones, enabling suggestive actions such as his need to phone the Org and go to his memory palace). I even started to believe most of what happened could have been S.H.I.E.L.D. playing deception to convincingly recruit him, but Secret Avengers has pulled me off of that. Now I'm more worried that Mentallo might be able to use the drones against him.

2. I don't know if Constrictor showed up in-between those appearances, but I know that if he did it was without Taskmaster. I too wondered why he was angry: did he reconnect with Diamondback and suddenly blame Tasky for convincing him to leave her at Siege? Did something cause a falling out in Japan? Was it just because Taskmaster nearly doomed the world? Or had the writer/artist not done his research? I hope we find out at some point, because I really liked Taskmaster and Constrictor as a duo. As funny as his funny-guy/straight-man act with Deadpool and Agent X is, Constrictor was a far more competent team-mate for him.

3. I agree. That's it, no more to add. I second everything said here.

Also, I've read the latest issue already, and I really enjoyed it, we do get to see more Taskmaster and it's great, but there's something that doesn't quite add up to me, and I wonder if you'll point it out too after you've read it.

#4 Edited by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.... just finished... I saw what you were talking about...

As much as I enjoyed Taskmaster's part in Secret Avengers # 8, I was very bothered to see him still there in Bagalia like nothing happened. O_O It MIGHT be an artist's mistake because I noticed that Samuel Jackson went missing since we last saw him being crushed by Graviton. Plus the last two panels that show him (Taskmaster) in combat and entering the carrier in issue # 7 are kind of inconsistent with his previous panel which showed him along with the Scientist Supreme's entourage. It would make sense tho if it was supposed to be Nick there in those two panels instead of Tasky.

But even if you put that visual error aside, I still don't see how his memories were not reset along with the others... oh wait... if all the reset did was make them forget that Mockingbird was around, I guess it would still fit.

It makes me worry that such a thing could slip past either Spencer or Ross. That would raise a red flag for me, because it's kinda telling that they were careless. Man, I feel like tweeting this to Spencer, should I do it?

#5 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: Yep, exactly. He wasn't 20 feet from Mockingbird and yet in the time it took her to report that the Scientist Supreme was still alive, he was in the battle with the rest of the team and supposedly escaped with them. I really don't want to believe that they just let this pass without thinking about it. I mean, Taskmaster and Fury Jr. have radically different appearances, the thought that they could mix them up so easily, it makes it seem as though there was little to no communication between Spencer and the three different artists he had working on #7 (Ross wasn't part of that one). It seemed weird because you'd think they'd use a panel of Taskmaster turning on A.I.M. to hype up the action, but I went along with it anyway. Now he's there like nothing happened? Fair enough if he forgot but did A.I.M. forget too?

Tweet him if you want to, dude. It's just a question after all. The next issue will be out sometime in the coming month and it's still unlikely to give us an answer. No point in waiting that long to settle this, and if it turns out to be a somehow intended plot point, we can wait and see how it plays out. If you should decide not to tweet him, however, let me know and I will.

#7 Posted by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you seen this interview with Ales Kot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIOd0mj0iOw

he hints at someone attacking the team because of some "mind wipe" issues.

hoping that's who I think it is...

plus he mentioned Spider Woman joining the team? - uhhh meeting her first mentor this time on the side of SHEILD... man that's gonna be awkward.

sure hope they write the characters well...

#8 Edited by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I had not seen that interview before, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I saw another video earlier this week of him being interviewed however, when I first heard mention of him taking over the reigns of the series for a new volume (which I didn't expect so soon with everything still so messy for our protagonists).

From what I interpreted from that video, what I can gather is that someone they upset during this run will come back for revenge in the next one and they will not remember why. Many people will fit that category I'm sure, though my initial assumptions would be either AIM personnel, Taskmaster (unlikely but would love the beginning of a restitution arc for him) or maybe at an extreme stretch depending on where the story leads, Mockingbird who I've been hoping to see interact more with Taskmaster since she seemed to be the only person who did before they were both abandoned on AIM island.

I heard about Spider-Woman when I first heard about the new volume, and grew immediately concerned. I do like Spider-Woman, in fact I mean to read up on her fully at some point, but when this guy announced the new line-up I saw a cover on an attached article, featuring Coulson, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Spider-Woman and Fury Jr. but no Winter Soldier, no Mockingbird and no Taskmaster, which made me wonder, with the current volume soon ending, is Taskmaster's role ending too? I hope I'm wrong but I haven't heard any news on him regarding the new volume, so they're either trying to avoid some upcoming tension regarding him, keeping him as a mostly off-panel undercover asset, or they're dropping him from the roster, and there are numerous possibilities as to why that could be. All that being said, the thought of Taskmaster and Spider-Woman now interacting as S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel would definitely be entertaining and I hope to see it.

I hope to see the characters well-written too, I don't believe I've read anything by Ales Kot before that I can recall, so I'm curious to see what his writing is like with these characters. I have been looking forward to every issue of Volume 2 so far and hope I continue to do so. All I ask for, is less time in-between issues, and more Taskmaster. ;D

#9 Posted by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

very relevant to this topic. ^^

I certainly hope he means it. *fingers crossed*

#10 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Very relevant indeed, seeing that certainly has me feeling relieved dude. Even when there is that paranoia that you can't trust these things and the fact that he didn't promise anything, the matter has been acknowledged, that's all we can ask for, anything from this point on is an informed decision made by him and his editors that can't be changed. I feel I should also mention that I went and semi-spoiled the upcoming issues for myself via "marvel.wikia" by reading the summarized synopsis' for issues 12, 13 and 14. It was really more like vague hints than genuine spoilers but I like what they have planned; if these issues are as good as they sound Mr. Kot will have found a new fan in me for sure.

#11 Posted by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bazdan

Dude, haven't been able to get my hands on SA 12 and 13 - will do tomorrow. Please tell me, Did Mr. Kot do a good job? >__<

#12 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: I really don't want to spoil anything dude. It's a yes and a no from me. But I really can't give away the details, you'll know what I mean tomorrow.

#13 Edited by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That did not just happen did it????? O_O

I usually skim thru the pages before reading... bad habit I guess.... Then I saw the very last page of issue 13 as I was paying for it. Damn it... took me some time to recover....

sigh... But I see what you mean. He did have some very strong moments in the issue. We got to see him sincerely try to rescue Bobbi, so we got to see where his loyalties were. Pretty interesting to see that the guy messing with Tess was a Trask (Given the upcoming X-Men movie) and it was also pretty interesting to see mention of Extremis... Agents of Shield reference?

Kinda felt like Kot wrote him to look dumber than he actually is... but anyway he addressed his "behaviour and speech pattern" changes in the past so it didn't bother me too much.

Now about the headshot... I'm holding hope that this wont be the last we see of him since --- the twist was Bobbi being the triple agent and not Taskmaster right? Forson mentioned that she was already "dead" even tho she was clearly alive. That makes me think she's either a clone / doppelganger, or was killed(like Forson said) then resurrected under mind control. And if that's the case it keeps hope that Tasky might share the same fate.

I'll keep my anger in check until I see future issues. This can either be a good send off for him, or another thing that could step up his importance over all.

#14 Edited by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo: Yeah, I really didn't know how to tell you dude. I'd been trying to process this the whole time since reading the issue. A lot of things have gone through my mind, but ultimately, I'm also withholding my outrage for the time being, at least until the dust has cleared. Really I'm just trying to avoid saying anything that would jeopardize the integrity of my professional opinion, which is hard when this happens to a character I have such an obvious bias toward. Ultimately, I can't fault the first half of the issue. From both an objective and a bias perspective it was enjoyable and interesting, with a standard Taskmaster comedy act. The second half however, I have more than one problem with:

1. First of all, I'd like to question why they deliberately included a page solely to acknowledge Taskmaster's level of awareness. They show quite clearly that without even seeing his assailants he is aware that they are approaching from his blind spot and counters them perfectly in a graceful manner. So how do they justify him being ambushed by a giant, metal robot from WWII, on the beach? I mean, it must have made some sound right? It deliberately wasn't a populated part of the island, so wouldn't Taskmaster have reacted to the sound of the tin man on sand? You can't honestly expect me to believe the thing was silent. So unless the next chapter reveals Trask (I wasn't familiar with him btw, and from what I could find, he's a completely new character with no relation to Bolivar mentioned as-of-yet), to be capable of masking sounds or teleporting, my opinion of the writers will seriously begin to decline.

2. Assuming that this is to be a lasting death (as lasting as comic-book deaths can be). Why kill the Taskmaster? There are several layers to this question:

• Why would Forson want to kill Taskmaster? If we're to take MODOK's suspicions to be true, then Forson has previously wiped Taskmaster's brain in order to manipulate him. If we're to take his suspicions as untrue and just a way of expressing how in-the-dark MODOK is whilst revealing the triple agent to be Ms. Morse, it doesn't change the fact that Forson has mind-manipulating technology. Knowing the worth of Taskmaster, why would anyone kill such a valuable asset? Especially if you have the means with which to control him? It boggles my mind why he would opt for this. Hence, the most logical reasoning would be that the subject must die and be resurrected in order to be controlled like you said. But we can't depend on that single theory.
  • So why might the writers want to kill Taskmaster? Seriously, the character has so much to explore and develop, why kill that character off so soon? Of all the current Secret Avengers, Taskmaster is the second most interesting character IMHO next to Bobbi. I'm not trying to bash the other characters, but we know Hawkeye and Black Widow pretty well, and Fury Jr.'s character is barely existent. We still have so many unanswered questions about Taskmaster. I've found his personality has so far been tied for the most entertaining with Hawkeye, and he has the most potential for character development, both for good and evil, thanks to his shady, neutral status. Taskmaster is such a good resource to have on board, I can't imagine why anyone would throw him away so simply.
  • What is to be gained from killing a character like Taskmaster plot-wise? Currently? Not really anything. Taskmaster never got to know the main group, and he wasn't liked by them due to his history. They wouldn't fight to avenge him.
  • But it removes S.H.I.E.L.D.'s inside source from AIM HQ? Remind me why that's better than extracting info from him, or allowing him to return with Bobbi as a Trojan Horse?
  • Surely if Bobbi ever regains her old self it will haunt her and trigger some character development? Yay, yet more misery and trauma for Mockingbird. At least we know what Taskmaster was considered to be good for.
  • A new Minister of Defense? This didn't require Taskmaster to be killed.
  • A message? Little need for a message at this point.
  • A political manoeuvre? Revealing a notorious criminal/super-villain/mercenary to be working for S.H.I.E.L.D. would prove very potent to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s PR. Still not sure how killing the guy would help serve this goal though, it was just a thought.
  • What effects would the death of Taskmaster have? Well first off Mercedes would likely do something crazy, depending on whether or not Marvel decides to acknowledge her existence ever again. Sandi would take a moment to be sad but then probably accept it, whilst Agent X would get pissed but probably still be too overweight to do anything. Deadpool, depending on his mood that day would either laugh, cry or turn up on AIM island with half a dozen rocket launchers. Constrictor is mad at Taskmaster and we don't know why so I'm guessing he'd either rage at not getting a personal resolution or just have a few drinks with the other villains as a celebration/respectful send-off. Finesse would feel a loss, possibly look into why he died, but wouldn't be terribly affected by it. Both Diamondback and Spider-Woman would be mostly unaffected by the news, can't imagine them feeling sad for their old evil teacher.

That little brainstorm aside, yeah, this is a comic book. Death always tends to have less sway. Even with a bullet in the brain you can't be certain a character is dead, though I personally do believe that in that panel he is truly dead. Resurrection however, may still be a possibility. Firstly, your point on Mockingbird's "Death": there are multiple possibilities behind that that cannot be taken as fact until the comic itself says so, however, the ambiguous nature of Forson's last sentence leaves space for theories. Whether those theories are possibilities or deluded fantasies will be revealed shortly. Second, as I mentioned before I've been peeking at upcoming synopsis' for lack of patience: and hopefully without spoiling too much, I'd like to say that I believe in the possibility of resurrection as a plot device, but I can't say if that would mean the revival of Taskmaster.

Here's to hoping his death is short-lived. :/

#15 Posted by darktiger (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah itll fix him for dure

#16 Edited by taskforce (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@bazdan: dude i just love your posts, ive been a tasky fan since i was 5 and i really hope he isnt those rare occasions that a marvel character stays dead,on the realistic side now i dont think will hear about him for a while now, due to the fact marvel is faaar to busy on the avengers than off stream characters

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because as soon as it gets cancelled, he leaves the team or a new writer comes in..he could go right back to what he was.

#18 Posted by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@bazdan: dude i just love your posts, ive been a tasky fan since i was 5 and i really hope he isnt those rare occasions that a marvel character stays dead,on the realistic side now i dont think will hear about him for a while now, due to the fact marvel is faaar to busy on the avengers than off stream characters

First off, thank you very much. I wish I could say I've been a fan of Taskmaster as long as you have but I grew up on the TV series' and films, only getting into actual comics a couple years ago. I've followed all of his chronological appearances however, and considering the fact that this is his first apparent death (aside from AoU, though that was bound to be undone), I would like to believe he gets at least one resurrection. However, as you put it, off stream characters are at a disadvantage because popularity is a large factor in the potential revival of a character, and Taskmaster is still considered B/C-list, meaning his chances of returning anytime soon are debatable. Despite this though, I would like to believe that Marvel's focus on the Avengers and their big/small-screen projects could possibly pave way for some Taskmaster popularity, if he can just land a small appearance and/or inclusion in a feature. And any Spider-woman, Deadpool, or S.H.I.E.L.D. related projects have the potential to accomplish this (even the Defenders TV shows could potentially use him, it'd be a great opportunity to have Taskmaster vs Iron Fist, or make reference to House of M, etc.).

@vance_astro said:

No, because as soon as it gets cancelled, he leaves the team or a new writer comes in..he could go right back to what he was.

Indeed, it feels as if I had a little too much optimism when I decided to post this. It's unfortunate how quickly this volume was cut, even more unfortunate how things have turned upon the arrival of the new writer, but I hope Marvel doesn't give up on him, not when there's still a possibility of turning that second miniseries into a Taskmaster classic and revelation, as opposed to an inaccurate mess of a retcon.

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio

@bazdan said:

@vance_astro said:

Indeed, it feels as if I had a little too much optimism when I decided to post this. It's unfortunate how quickly this volume was cut, even more unfortunate how things have turned upon the arrival of the new writer, but I hope Marvel doesn't give up on him, not when there's still a possibility of turning that second miniseries into a Taskmaster classic and revelation, as opposed to an inaccurate mess of a retcon.

The problem with Taskmaster is his powers are ridiculous. They need to define what the weaknesses or flaws are in his character properly. I think writers also need to be held accountable for lazy and unimaginative writing. If you're not going to write a character the right way, you aren't allowed to touch them. I see this alot with villains. They state what the characters powers, skills & abilities are and then disregard them when they go against the plot. You shouldn't be allowed to do that and writers get away with it ALL the time!

#20 Edited by Bazdan (37 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: Well, ridiculous or not, I like his power. I see where you're coming from though. In fact, there's a thread in this forum about how Taskmaster may or may not be able to mimic the attributes of Spider-Man's agility. Not to mention the requirement of Taskmaster needing to constantly re-watch videotapes of fighting styles being seemingly abandoned. The biggest problem in my opinion, as evidenced by this thread I guess, is the idea of giving him recurring amnesia after memorizing an unset limit of physical manoeuvres: it means almost every fight in which he doesn't lose his memory and run away comes across as either PIS or abandonment of any and all consistency...

So yeah, it'd be great if they'd stop switching out writers and at least compel the writers to do some required research before writing on a title featuring a previously established character. But I guess asking the writers to do their jobs is too much to ask right? (wow, I meant this in jest but I sound like a total b****** here)

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio

@bazdan said:

@vance_astro: Well, ridiculous or not, I like his power. I see where you're coming from though. In fact, there's a thread in this forum about how Taskmaster may or may not be able to mimic the attributes of Spider-Man's agility. Not to mention the requirement of Taskmaster needing to constantly re-watch videotapes of fighting styles being seemingly abandoned. The biggest problem in my opinion, as evidenced by this thread I guess, is the idea of giving him recurring amnesia after memorizing an unset limit of physical manoeuvres: it means almost every fight in which he doesn't lose his memory and run away comes across as either PIS or abandonment of any and all consistency...

I agree with you. I think photographic reflexes is one of the coolest abilities that Marvel has ever come up with; however, Marvel has a habit of digging a hole for themselves. They work off of this status quo where heroes always win even if they don't bother to validate the heroes abilities by coming up with a way they could ACTUALLY beat the villain. When I say digging a hole, I mean you can almost tell by what a characters powers are..what's going to happen to them. If a characters powers seems a little hard to write against, they will just disregard what they already set up for the character. I agree that the amnesia thing is ridiculous as well but I guess that's their way of trying to set limitations.

@bazdan said:

So yeah, it'd be great if they'd stop switching out writers and at least compel the writers to do some required research before writing on a title featuring a previously established character. But I guess asking the writers to do their jobs is too much to ask right? (wow, I meant this in jest but I sound like a total b****** here)

I don't think switching writers should be a problem. I understand that every writer has their style but characters should be so inconsistent between writers. I know you question was sarcastic but I agree.

#22 Edited by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

He's died twice since he put on that yellow variant of his costume. I'm starting to gain a dislike for it. I feel a bit peeved that they would put Batroc in the Winter Soldier movie, but not him... (sigh...) <-- delayed venting

#23 Edited by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo said:

He's died twice since he put on that yellow variant of his costume. I'm starting to gain a dislike for it. I feel a bit peeved that they would put Batroc in the Winter Soldier movie, but not him... (sigh...) <-- delayed venting

Why would you be peeved by that? Batroc is a more prominent Captain America villain than Taskmaster. Also If you already have Cap & Winter Soldier do you really need a guy who has copied Cap's moves? Wouldn't that almost be like having 3 of the same guy with different personalities?

#24 Posted by themimegogo (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo said:

Why would you be peeved by that? Batroc is a more prominent Captain America villain than Taskmaster. Also If you already have Cap & Winter Soldier do you really need a guy who has copied Cap's moves? Wouldn't that almost be like having 3 of the same guy with different personalities?

Because I'm not a Batroc fan. O_O Not forcing anyone to agree. just sayn'

I enjoyed reading Taskmaster hold his own against Capt. America and Bucky (in another Capt. America Variation) in a 2 on 1 match during the conclusion of Siege. It was quite an awesome fight, I'm a bit of a melee fan - and I was hoping for something like that with TM on the big screen.

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio

@themimegogo said:

Because I'm not a Batroc fan. O_O Not forcing anyone to agree. just sayn'

Who is?

I enjoyed reading Taskmaster hold his own against Capt. America and Bucky (in another Capt. America Variation) in a 2 on 1 match during the conclusion of Siege. It was quite an awesome fight, I'm a bit of a melee fan - and I was hoping for something like that with TM on the big screen.

I agree with you but in terms of film it just makes sense to use Batroc rather than Taskmaster. It would be cool to see Taskmaster in an Avengers film though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.