The Talon (Calvin Rose) Appreciation Thread

#1 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's about time we pay respect to DC's Talon, Calvin Rose.

Once an escape artist performer for Haley's Circus, Calvin Rose was sought out and snatched up by the Court of Owls for being a master at his craft. For years Calvin was indoctrinated and trained to become the Court's one special Talon: a master assassin who could slip in and out of any covert mission without detection and, when necessary, take down any opposition with ease and precision. However, on Calvin's first mission he realized it wasn't within him to kill an innocent woman, Casey, and her daughter, Sarah. So Calvin saved them and went on the run. In the process, Calvin Rose became the only person to ever escape from the Court of Owls. Since then he has made it his mission to be the Talon that rips apart the Court of Owls, destroying their organization from within and putting a stop to their evil ways.

Calvin breaking free from the clutches of the Court of Owls. Cover for Talon #1 by Guillem March.

#2 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio
Calvin's first escape
Calvin was discovered by Haley's Circus
Being brought in by the Court
Calvin struggling with the humanity the Court has taken from him
Calvin turns on the Court by saving Casey and Sarah

#3 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: i haven't read "Talon" before, how is it? Do you recommend me picking it up?

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91405 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

@extremis: i haven't read "Talon" before, how is it? Do you recommend me picking it up?

Did you read the "Court of the Owls" arc or the Bat-Family?

#5 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: yes of course i did! read all of them plus the crossovers for the bat-family

#6 Posted by longbowhunter (7710 posts) - - Show Bio

I've really liked Talon. Don't think I'll continue the book though. Not a fan of Miguel Sepulveda or the idea of a Birds of Prey crossover.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91405 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

@vance_astro: yes of course i did! read all of them plus the crossovers for the bat-family

Then I think you'll like Talon. Same art, same style, same general writer\creator.

#8 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Vance Astro (91405 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: more added to this thread? Have no fear I plan on adding more scans to bring us up to date. Just didn't get any replies until now.

#12 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@cameron83: more added to this thread? Have no fear I plan on adding more scans to bring us up to date. Just didn't get any replies until now.

ok,thanks!

#13 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: yes I highly recommend it :)

Super underrated title

#15 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: @batmannflash: @cameron83:

Calvin's first real test.
Showing his agility and knife-throwing skill and accuracy
Calvin thinking on his feet to subdue a faster, physically superior Talon
Calvin, with the help of the suspicious Sebastian Clark, decide to take down the Court.

I wanted to include this earlier for my issue #0 scans but here it is, Calvin's neat lockpick feat:

Being the master escape artist he is, Calvin keeps a lockpick in the calloused skin of his foot!

#16 Edited by matchesmalone21 (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis:Nice,good job man. Hey did you see my new 52 respect threads?? Can I post your link on my page (crediting you of course),to make it easier to people found it.

@cameron83: Hi

#17 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis:Nice,good job man. Hey did you see my new 52 respect threads?? Can I post your link on my page (crediting you of course),to make it easier to people found it.

@cameron83: Hi

Hey dude!

#18 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21: Yeah definitely! I was actually inspired by one of yours to start this thread.

Oh, and what page do you post it on?

#19 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: How are youn going??

@extremis: WOW I'm honored to hear that.....and totally speechless. In this page http://www.comicvine.com/dc-comics/4010-10/forums/new-52-respect-threads-672946/#81

#20 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: You're welcome man and keep up the good work too!!!! :) Have a wonderful day.

#22 Posted by Ministurt (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds a little like Mr miracle with is escape artist abilities and being raised by villains.

#23 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Calvin Rose, and Talon is one of my top books. Argh I wish March was still the artist.

#24 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon: Yeah Guillem was doing such a wonderful job with the art. Sepulveda has some nice covers thus far at least.

#25 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Rose escapes "inescapable" bonds that even Batman couldn't get out of, in a couple seconds!

#26 Edited by Rainquility (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Rather late response but I just recently got into the comic. Reminded me of that one video on youtube.

#27 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Rescuing Casey with discretion

#28 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio
Durability
still stands after so much punishment
TALON...PUNCH!
fighting Batgirl
Barbara can't touch Talon!
kicking Barbara
Fighting Mary
whoops!
durability
awesome fight against Mary
refusing to kill her

@extremis

#29 Posted by ComicStooge (13950 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh. Not bad.

#30 Posted by SovereignDivinity (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Calvin Rose vs Nightwing would be a good fight.

#31 Posted by GustavoBurciaga1 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

With today's issue Talon finally ends. I seriously hope we get to see more of Mr. Rose though. Even if he isn't leading his own series, it would still be nice to see him in other books, teaming up with other heroes.

#32 Posted by AllStarHit-Girl (574 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I need to check this out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.