Short vent on TDKR.

Posted by Chrysh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

AM I THE ONLY ONE COMPLETELY HORRIFIED WITH THE STORYLINE ?

Prior to seeing the movie, I did NO online searching on how it went. No spoilers whatsoever. I wanted no knowledge of the movie whatsoever before seeing it. But based on all the comics I have read, I'd already made a guess on how the movie would go.

Since the movie's announcement, I was completely dreading Talia's appearance in it. (considering all the hints and rumors, it was pretty safe to assume that she would be in it.) Would she be the conflicted love interest she had always been ? Or would she be the enemy she has been depicted as in recent comics ? I could only hope for the best...

*fast forward*

SO I JUST GOT BACK FROM SEEING THE MOVIE.

And can I say, aside from all its brilliance, I am completely disappointed in how everything got resolved.

OKAY, I'm sorry. I hate Catwoman. I wish she would die so that it was Talia having the happy ending with Bruce instead of her.

*vent*

TALIA being the one to lead the attack on Gotham ? FOR HER FATHER ? Are you kidding me ? Despite her love for her father, she HATES what her father does. Isn't that why she moved to Metropolis in the first place ? I mean, I know she's probably stabbed Bruce once or twice, but she ALWAYS picks him over her father. Every single time, it was always Bruce she would choose. And excuse me, Dick, TALIA was the one who persuades Bruce to return to the role of Batman, NOT YOU.

You know how freaking happy I was when I saw Talia and Bruce kiss ? I was like OMG, HOPE ISN'T LOST/clapping and squealing like a little girl.

BUT NOPE. As the movie progresses, the whole Talia and Bruce love affair was NOT built upon any further. (aside from the whole, "I won't forget about you" bit from Bruce near the end.) WHERE IS ALL THEIR BACKSTORY ?

WHEN SHE STABBED BRUCE I ALMOST SCREAMED. NO. NO NO NO. SHE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE ENEMY, GOD.

Like, she just shows up outta nowhere being like "I HATE YOU BRUCE. YOU KILLED MY DAD. DIE DIE DIE." ? I mean, okay. Her dad died, she's never really been pissed about that in the comics. HE ALWAYS COMES BACK TO LIFE ANYWAY, SO WHATEVER. She has always loved Bruce. From her first appearance, she had been depicted as Bruce's love interest. Not an evil woman set on murdering him. NEVER his enemy. (well, not counting her recent Leviathan adventures.)

THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE "BELOVED" THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE ENTIRE FILM.

&BANE AND TALIA ? ARE YOU FUDGING KIDDING ME ? SHE'S DISGUSTED BY HIM. WHAT THE FUDGE !?

THIS MOVIE MAKES ME SO MAD. GUH.

Can we all just, form an angry mob and slap the poop out of Nolan for forgetting who Talia is, and portraying her so horribly ?

#1 Edited by k4tzm4n (36482 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chrysh: Please censor the curse words ;)

As for your rant, it's important to note that this is his take on the universe. It's merely inspired by the source material, not a direct translation. I'm a big fan of Bane, but clearly there were countless changes to the character. Despite this, I still liked Nolan's take on the villain.

That said, I do agree that her character wasn't given proper credit or even time to really develop. Frankly, the movie could have done just fine without her.

Staff
#2 Posted by Chrysh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I'm sorry T________T I didn't know. bwuahhh. How do I censor them ?

The movie was absolutely beautiful. But, a lot could've been changed. Like, they could've built on Talia and Bruce a little more, and she could've been on his side, like she almost always is.

Blegh, there's just a lot about the story I don't like. >-<

#3 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd just like to point out that this user is not an alternate account of mine.

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92635 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect: Nobody believes you <3

#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (14570 posts) - - Show Bio

Raineffect the sequel.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24720 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do some people have such a hard time separating these movies from the comics? I agree the ending could have been better but considering the fact that this is a completely different universe where Bruce wasn't even aware of Talia's existence up until the point where she stabbed him in the back so there was no real love story between the 2 here so your points don't really apply to this world.

#7 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't feel Talia added much to the story till she revealed herself, and that includes the love scene. Then, as it turns out she was an integral part of the movie and all was forgiven. I thought the movie turned out great. I especially liked it when the fans behind me kept crying about source material. (Tears for sale.)

#8 Posted by Chrysh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about the pointsss..! It still makes me mad...!!

Now there's a bunch of freaks "shipping" Talia and Bane. That's so CREEPY. DDD:

She really didn't do anything important throughout the movie. x-x Sorry, I was really just hoping that they would somehow show that she's not just a bad guy. I mean, I understand why Talia was in the movie, considering her dad died in the first one.. It was pretty safe to assume that she'd come back looking for revenge in this one... >-< But, they could've done so much better to improve the story of it. It just felt rushed in the beginning, then extremely slowed down through the middle and rushed at the end. He spends, what ? 5 minutes moping around about how he's not Batman anymore ?

Why was Catwoman even in the movie anyway ?! D:< guh, I hate her.

bwuahhaa, alternate account of RainEffect... I don't think I'm cool enough for that. >o<~

ANYWAY, I just wanted to get this off my mind, thanks for listening~

#9 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chrysh: Agreed. Waaaaaay to much Catwoman and not enough Talia.

I'm guessing her part was minimized cause Nolan was obsessively trying to hide the fact that Marion Cotillard was the daughter of Ras Al Ghul. On one hand I loved the big reveal (not that she was Talia, called that before the movie came out), but that it was her who made the climb from the Pit and not Bane. For a short stretch I was beginning to think Nolan had gone and made them brother and sister during the Ghost Ras/Vision Ras origin reveal. Now that would have p!ssed me off lol. And although Anne gave a great Catwoman performance, as an authenticated Talia Ghul fan I gotta say, so f'n what? They could have removed Catwoman all together for all I care (I'm with you there). Marion is a great actress (minus that horrible death scene) and was utterly wasted in this movie.

#10 Edited by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I was hoping for Beloved for a while, but in the universe it didn't really fit. Just think, like we had Nolanman replaced Batman, and Robin replace Robins 1-3, we had Marion replaced Talia.

On a side note: was there a specific Grayson reference? I get deducing Bats identity was a Drake moment (even though his explanation sucked) and the relentless hotheading was a Todd nod. I was playing Robin bingo.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24720 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly my biggest complaint is that Nolan needed to pull the camera back about 5 feet during the fight scenes so we could actually see whats going on

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12602 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

Why do some people have such a hard time separating these movies from the comics? I agree the ending could have been better but considering the fact that this is a completely different universe where Bruce wasn't even aware of Talia's existence up until the point where she stabbed him in the back so there was no real love story between the 2 here so your points don't really apply to this world.

Comic fans are mental and for some reason, do not understand things like this.
#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24720 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I just take them as alternate worlds like what ifs or elseworlds, its what allowed me to enjoy Smallville( Not always but about half the time). Simply put it doesn't matter how it happened in the comics because this is how it happened in this world.

#14 Edited by Chrysh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Yess, no Catwoman would make me happy. LOL. Though she was pretty cool, I don't think she really served much of an importance. I mean, sure, she was the one that helped Bruce with things here and there, but I think Talia could have done that part, also. It could've been like, she was forced into going along with daddy's plan, but she falls in love with beloved, and ultimately goes against her father. Nolan could've revived Ra's ! I mean, hellooo, Lazarus Pits are always around ! And it could've been Talia and Bruce vs Ra's and Bane. Bwuahaha.

Honestly, I was kinda bothered by the whole backstory to Talia. She was born in a prison ? That's horrible..! But, it was pretty badass, I have to admit. I was wondering the same thing about Bane and Talia being siblings, too ! HAHA, it freaked me out. xDD

>: He could've made it fit ! Used a little creativity, built on their love a little more than just a one night stand type of thing. I don't like all this replacing.

Ahh, I thought Robin's (well, if that isn't a boldfaced give-away...) backstory was like Grayson's.. Unless I'm confusing him with another Robin.. o_o lol.. EITHER WAY, his name is Robin, so he is Robin. >-<~

here wasn't that much fighting, so it's not that bad.

That's a bit rude ! Well, I'd rather be comic-savvy, than some twit who only knows what highly inaccurate movies tell me. Not that this applies to anyone, it's just.. I know a LOT of people who claim they're so major fans of a character, sporting logos and things, without even knowing the slightest detail about them. bwuahh.

And besides, it's not that I'm incapable of differentiating comics from movies. I understand that when producing a movie derived from comic books, directors are given free reign as to how the movie develops. It happens a lot, I'm not mad about that. I'm just really disappointed in the story and portrayal of the characters. *sigh~

#15 Posted by cattlebattle (12602 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@cattlebattle: I just take them as alternate worlds like what ifs or elseworlds, its what allowed me to enjoy Smallville( Not always but about half the time). Simply put it doesn't matter how it happened in the comics because this is how it happened in this world.

Exactly, you don't pick up Ultimate comics expecting it to be the same stories....

Comic fans and generally any cult sci fi following are the most hypocritical, contradicting lot on the planet. They get mad when stuff isn't exactly like the comics....but, traditionally almost no comic movie is accurate.
#16 Posted by cattlebattle (12602 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chrysh said:

@cattlebattle That's a bit rude ! Well, I'd rather be comic-savvy, than some twit who only knows what highly inaccurate movies tell me. Not that this applies to anyone, it's just.. I know a LOT of people who claim they're so major fans of a character, sporting logos and things, without even knowing the slightest detail about them. bwuahh.

And besides, it's not that I'm incapable of differentiating comics from movies. I understand that when producing a movie derived from comic books, directors are given free reign to as how the movie develops. It happens a lot, I'm not mad about that. I'm just really disappointed in the story and portrayal of the characters. *sigh~

I didn't mean any disrespect. I am saying I have seen A LOT of threads picking at details of comic movies....one main one being inaccuracy to a character.....I am basically saying the movies are different things.....while influenced by the source material, its Christopher Nolans vision of Batman, comics are ongoing and timeless with no definite containment, there is room for the story to expand. The movies are 2 hours long, you have to tell a tight story.

Yes...Talia Al Ghul and Bane weren't portrayed just like their comic counterparts, and Ra's Al Ghul isn't a tall, caucasian, Irish ninja, Its a re-imagining
#17 Posted by BatWatch (2368 posts) - - Show Bio

You are not alone.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/reasons-the-dark-knight-rises-was-a-mediocre-film/685322/?

#18 Posted by SoA (4709 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chrysh: glad it wasnt just me.

#19 Posted by Chrysh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

*disregards explanation about movies and comics being different because I don't think it applies to me.

Everything you say makes sense, yes. bwuahah, Irish ninja. xD Well, when making a comic-inspired movie, I don't think it's right for someone to stray so far away from the details. It can't be like "HEY YOU GUYS, I'M MAKING A BATMAN MOVIE. /completely disregards all comics." (i mean, it's not that he did that, just an exaggeration)

I guess I haven't been in the comic-book-reader-world for too long for this to be a real problem to me. It's my first blog post, sorry. TT^TT~

yayy ! *highfives~

there's a whole discussion on this !? WELLP, this blog post was pretty much useless. LOL.

#20 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

and Ra's Al Ghul isn't a tall, caucasian, Irish ninja, Its a re-imagining

Hahahaha awesome

#21 Posted by BatWatch (2368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chrysh said:

*disregards explanation about movies and comics being different because I don't think it applies to me.

Everything you say makes sense, yes. bwuahah, Irish ninja. xD Well, when making a comic-inspired movie, I don't think it's right for someone to stray so far away from the details. It can't be like "HEY YOU GUYS, I'M MAKING A BATMAN MOVIE. /completely disregards all comics." (i mean, it's not that he did that, just an exaggeration)

I guess I haven't been in the comic-book-reader-world for too long for this to be a real problem to me. It's my first blog post, sorry. TT^TT~

yayy ! *highfives~

there's a whole discussion on this !? WELLP, this blog post was pretty much useless. LOL.

I know you and I, and I suspect many others, have complained about the issues with the Dark Knight Rises.

#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (14570 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler: Technically he made them siblings anyway.

#23 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: You mean theoretically?

#24 Posted by entropy_aegis (14570 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Yeah in a more weird way.

#25 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambler said:

I always pictured it as Bane loving Talia in a romantic way and Talia loving Bane like a dog (in the sense of a protector). Never really got the feeling she loved him as a brother or him as sister. He certainly didnt view Ras as a father figure. Or at least there was no indication he did. This may be a reach, but I thought the Talia/Bane relationship mirrored mercenary Ras' back story. Ras loved a powerful man's daughter and because of it, was banished. Bane loved a powerful man's daughter and because of it, he was banished. I get there is more to it then that but the similarities are also there.

#26 Posted by entropy_aegis (14570 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambler said:

I always pictured it as Bane loving Talia in a romantic way and Talia loving Bane like a dog (in the sense of a protector). Never really got the feeling she loved him as a brother or him as sister. He certainly didnt view Ras as a father figure. Or at least there was no indication he did. This may be a reach, but I thought the Talia/Bane relationship mirrored mercenary Ras' back story. Ras loved a powerful man's daughter and because of it, was banished. Bane loved a powerful man's daughter and because of it, he was banished. I get there is more to it then that but the similarities are also there.

Hmmm,you're spot on with the parallels but Bane loving Talia(whom he has known since she was a child) seems somewhat creepy to me.

#27 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambler said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambler said:

Hmmm,you're spot on with the parallels but Bane loving Talia(whom he has known since she was a child) seems somewhat creepy to me.

lol agreed.

#28 Posted by Chrysh (8 posts) - - Show Bio

BANE IS A PEDO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.