I knew it [SPOILERS - READ AT OWN RISK]

#1 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

If you haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, stop reading now, for the love of your sanity.

So, I saw TDKR last night, and, it goes without saying that it was absolutely monumental. What made it even better was how it tied in both The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. The moment they mentioned Bane's League of Shadows background, not to mention that line that Miranda drops when she's making a fire after sleeping with Bruce, that Talia was in it (heck, I'm sure we all knew after seeing Marion in that Arabic-ish outfit in the leaked set photos). 

The only problem is, I was LOVING her portrayal as Talia, right up until they hinted at there being some kind of deep bond with Bane and Talia. 

*Pause for four seconds of bleeped swearing, damn you CV for not letting me type it*

It wasn't love, because Talia kept calling him her 'friend' and 'protector' - not to mention there is a big age difference between the two of them in this story. I just got super annoyed because the movie pandered to Batman/Selina over Batman/Talia. I immediately turned to my brother and I was like 'YEAH BUT AT LEAST TALIA HAS A KID WITH BRUCE'.

/end rant

#2 Edited by War Killer (19983 posts) - - Show Bio

For the sake of the story, I believe the Bruce/Selina relationship worked and I personally liked it. But when it comes to the comics, I'm Team Talia. :P

But I was worried that they were going to make Talia's connection to Bane more..."personal" but like you mentioned, I think she made it obvious that their friendship was more on the level of him being her protector and her being in debt for all the years he served keeping her safe all of those years in the pit. But if we're keeping score, as far as I can remember, Talia was the first woman that Bruce has every let close enough to the point that he actually slept with her. So that's one point she has over Selina in the movies. xD But again, with how the story went, I felt that Bruce ending up with Selina fit.

#3 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84543 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect: Nice write up man. I'm not bragging when I say I believed her to be Talia before the movie even came out, but like you, there was a moment in the film when I knew for sure. And it happened the moment she started talking about clean energy (her first lines lol) as Ras Al Ghul in the comics originally started off as an echo-terrorist the connection didnt seem far fetched.

What I loved though was the reveal. The way Nolan had the audience believing Bane was the child who climbed from the Pit only to pull the curtain back and Ta Da! It was Talia (showing just how badass she is). It also added another dimension to the Bane character as we see him in the Protector role. Some of my favorite villains are the ones who have someone they love and look after despite some of their other more menacing actions.

Also on a side note, in the comics Bane was set to marry Talia only to be rejected.

Moderator Online
#4 Edited by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:

@RainEffect: Nice write up man. I'm not bragging when I say I believed her to be Talia before the movie even came out, but like you, there was a moment in the film when I knew for sure. And it happened the moment she started talking about clean energy (her first lines lol) as Ras Al Ghul in the comics originally started off as an echo-terrorist the connection didnt seem far fetched.

What I loved though was the reveal. The way Nolan had the audience believing Bane was the child who climbed from the Pit only to pull the curtain back and Ta Da! It was Talia (showing just how badass she is). It also added another dimension to the Bane character as we see him in the Protector role. Some of my favorite villains are the ones who have someone they love and look after despite some of their other more menacing actions.

Also on a side note, in the comics Bane was set to marry Talia only to be rejected.

Haha, it wasn't that much of a write-up, more an incoherent fanboy rant - but thanks anyway.

I totally agree! Nolan basically slapped us in the face with that twist, because we all believe Bane was the child. Have you seen The Prestige? Another example of Nolan's excellence with twists. Also, what did you think of Bane actually crying? You remember when Talia was explaining everything to Bruce whilst she had the knife in his side - Bane was crying. I thought it added a nice depth to his character, made him less of a 'destroy everything for no reason' character.

@War Killer said:

For the sake of the story, I believe the Bruce/Selina relationship worked and I personally liked it. But when it comes to the comics, I'm Team Talia. :P  But I was worried that they were going to make Talia's connection to Bane more..."personal" but like you mentioned, I think she made it obvious that their friendship was more on the level of him being her protector and her being in debt for all the years he served keeping her safe all of those years in the pit. But if we're keeping score, as far as I can remember, Talia was the first woman that Bruce has every let close enough to the point that he actually slept with her. So that's one point she has over Selina in the movies. xD But again, with how the story went, I felt that Bruce ending up with Selina fit.

TEAM TALIA <3

I didn't like the kiss Batman and Catwoman shared at the end, my brother and sister both agreed with me. It was unnecessary. That's not just my anti-Catwoman talking - that's my screenwriter talking. It was pointless, and it felt incredibly forced. Selina only hooks up with Bruce/Batman for the lulz in the comics, if I remember correctly. She just does it to mess with him, never with emotional motives. That being said, the scene with 'Miranda' and Bruce was beautiful. I felt for Bruce because it was the first time since Rachel that he had ever let a woman get close to him. 

And you're right about comics Talia. Bruce wanted to stop being Batman and marry Talia, but both Ra's and Talia wanted him to stay as Batman.
#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (14296 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

If you haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, stop reading now, for the love of your sanity.

So, I saw TDKR last night, and, it goes without saying that it was absolutely monumental. What made it even better was how it tied in both The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. The moment they mentioned Bane's League of Shadows background, not to mention that line that Miranda drops when she's making a fire after sleeping with Bruce, that Talia was in it (heck, I'm sure we all knew after seeing Marion in that Arabic-ish outfit in the leaked set photos). The only problem is, I was LOVING her portrayal as Talia, right up until they hinted at there being some kind of deep bond with Bane and Talia. *Pause for four seconds of bleeped swearing, damn you CV for not letting me type it* It wasn't love, because Talia kept calling him her 'friend' and 'protector' - not to mention there is a big age difference between the two of them in this story. I just got super annoyed because the movie pandered to Batman/Selina over Batman/Talia. I immediately turned to my brother and I was like 'YEAH BUT AT LEAST TALIA HAS A KID WITH BRUCE'. /end rant

That's also love...of a different type but love nonetheless.That revelation still puzzles me a bit,not sure whether to like it or not.

#6 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: Thanks for replying to all my posts, haha <3

What did you think of Bane shedding a tear when the revelation was made?
#7 Posted by wessaari (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect: that shows that Bane either loved Talia, or cherished her above nothing else. great performances by Hardy and Colliard

#8 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew it as well.

#9 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

NOLAN LIED! he said Talia was not going to be in the movie, I figured it out 20 min after the movie began.

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

She was perfection <3

#11 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

She was perfection <3

Marion <333
#12 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect:

Therefore, you got ticked because they did not pander to your preferred Batman love life scenario. In addition, how come your brother did not comeback at you with “just because you have a child with someone, does not mean you love them. You also said “Selina only hooks up with Bruce/Batman for the lulz in the comics” I cannot tell you how wrong of a statement that is. Catwoman and Batman have teased or hinted at a relationship long before any Al Ghuls even were in comic. if you need any proof go back to your own blog called Bat and kitty and read the post by Glaucus. he spells it out pretty clear that Catwoman was supposed to be a love intrest from the monent Bob Kane created her. Lastly how can you be so happy with a film will Talia is the most evil person in the film?

#13 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@KenTheProfile: Getting sick of you posting in all my threads, especially considering I gave you a perfectly good argument in one which you have failed to respond to.

Stay salty, bro.

#14 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect: i thought that discussion was closed. you made your point and your question was retorical was it not?

#15 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@KenTheProfile: You made a claim that Talia was schizophrenic and that she never chose Bruce's side. I gave you eight instances of her choosing Bruce.

It doesn't matter, though. I'm done with you. After looking at your Forum history, the only reason you're posting in the Talia forums is because you don't like her. I don't care whether or not you do, but, frankly, it is pathetic to go and attack the people that do. You say you think I'm a hypocrite when you posted on my FanEffect blog (the post which you, conveniently, deleted)? I'm not. I don't let my actions affect other people's interpretations of her. I don't shove my fondness of her down other people's throats. Unlike you, who is prowling in the forum of a character you despise.

So, yeah, you've wasted enough of my time.

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@Mercy_ said:

She was perfection <3

Marion <333

PERFECTION

#17 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@RainEffect said:

@Mercy_ said:

She was perfection <3

Marion <333

PERFECTION

Did you hear how she changed her accent when she made the big revelation? She went from American to Arabian. I had a fangirl moment, not gonna lie.

Poor girl, though. She tried her best to hide her native French accent.

#18 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect:

yah deleted it because i was wrong to post. because i was mad, i was a jerk to do that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.