Follow

S.W.O.R.D.

Team » S.W.O.R.D. appears in 562 issues.

The Sentient Worlds Observation and Response Department was a sub-division of SHIELD that deals with extraterrestrial matters and is lead by Special Agent Abigail Brand. Recently, after becoming defunct, the organization was revived by the mutant nation of Krakoa.

S.W.O.R.D. #3 Review

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By zombietag

i HAAAAATE how they draw beast. so dumb! like a big fat cat. i mean, does anybody at all actually prefer that over how he used to look in the 90s? aka how he lookd COOL and TOUGH. upsetting...

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

sad thats its canned. this book is refreshing.
    (and i read and loved every moment of this issue as well)

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

Lockheed rocks! 

Too bad this series is being canceled on issue #5!
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Henry Gyrich makes me think that he is the Walter Peck of Marvel comics.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

That depiction of Beast is dire but over all it sounded like a solid idea.

couzinit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By couzinit99

Sadness cuz i actually wanted to read this :( and i LOVE LOCKHEED!!!!!!!! and if i ever draw X-Men (which i prolly wont lol) id definetly make him look more like his old style.
    Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Chane

Yeah, I agree... that beast art isn't great. 
    Lockheed looks good tho. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty

Is there any explanation for why Beast looks like that? 

Lockheed looks like he did back in the good ol' Excalibur days... but I'm worried about Doug.  If his characterisation is bad here, then what's the New Mutants issue of Siege going to be like??

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @xerox-kitty: No explanation. Issue #1 was reviewed in a Lucky Seven video and I remember commenting how he looked normal (cat-like) on the cover and like this in the interior.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Nighthunter

What is it with Marvel no longer giving ongoings a chance to gain a fanbase? New Exiles, Doctor Voodoo and now SWORD....

There are miniseries that have had more issues

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I can't see a relationship with Beast and Abigail Brand lasting very long. They are two very different people. Beast is kind of a wimp in this, and he's characterized very robotically. "So, you will marry me, Abigail Brand?"
    followed by "Not now, Hank". Ugh! Not feeling it. I do love the cover, though. Lockheed is my home boy.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly if they wanted to play it smart they would have had Beasts name in the title.
    Beast & SWORD (dumb, but he isnt a technical member, card carrying that is), Beast
    & Brand, ect. He has alot of hard fans, alot more than a few of the characters in the book,
    especially x-fans, whom many that ive spoken to actually had no clue he was in this book, much less
    Deaths Head, Beta Ray Bill and mate (after #5 there was to be a continuation of God Hunter of sorts),
    ect. most people were only aware that Lockheed was in this, and " some chick from X-men with green hair,
    but not Polaris ". If they get a second chance, to which ill proudly vote for, they need to do better advertising and 
    make this book more accessible and even known to larger fanbase groups. especially the interviews need to be
    pushed more next time, and maybe a referance or two in another more mainstream book wouldnt have hurt.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Grendel

This and Dark X-men are the two best Marvel books on the shelf.  And both are now only five issues.

It's a damn tragedy they canned this book, because it was the first "fun" book that I have embraced in a long time. No "dark" or shocking twists needed to keep it fresh.

Sad as it sounds, I have a feeling too many people had an issue with Beast looking like this:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What happened to this book was a shame.  S.W.O.R.D. was a breath of fresh air in a world full of love triangles, abiguous villians and dramatic sacrifices.  This book entered under the intetion of taking a great cast of characters and putting them in fun and exciting situation.  You weren't supposed to worry about if Brand would stay with Beast (it was a given) you weren't meant to wonder If the bad guy's intetions were anything less than wrong (it was implied).  This book was meant to be an exciting title that could go places where the others couldn't (Kind of how the original SHIELD was)

Marvel is losing a truly original title in cancelling this book.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrinceIMC

I hope they find something to do with Abigail after all this. I've started to enjoy her character and they need to remember that Lockheed is this badass when he reunites with Kitty and hopefully they both return to the X-Men.

mook201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mook201

I was totally into this book when I first heard about it.  Seemed like an awesome idea, and the John Cassaday cover on issue one looked awesome.  Once I got to the comic shop and opened it up, I immediately put it back down when I saw the way the Beast drawn.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Illyana Rasputin said:

"I can't see a relationship with Beast and Abigail Brand lasting very long. They are two very different people. Beast is kind of a wimp in this, and he's characterized very robotically. "So, you will marry me, Abigail Brand?"
    followed by "Not now, Hank". Ugh! Not feeling it. I do love the cover, though. Lockheed is my home boy. "

They do say opposites attract!  I still miss Trish, but after what happened during Grant Morrison's run, I'm glad they're no longer together ;)  But I'm not crazy about Abigail Brand.  I still see her as an enemy of the X-Men, so why Beast would see her in a romantic light is beyond me... But this is comics, and crazier things have happened ;) 

@G-Man said:

" @xerox-kitty: No explanation. Issue #1 was reviewed in a Lucky Seven video and I remember commenting how he looked normal (cat-like) on the cover and like this in the interior. "

Different artists though, right :(  The covers for future solicits are better looking than the interiors.  Such a shame.   

Thing is, they've planned it all backwards.  There was nothing about the first issue that made me want to buy this.  Now yuo have Lockheed on the cover, and prominent in the story... but it comes with the news that it's been cancelled.  If they'd been clever when plotting this story arc, then they could have had Lockheed kicking butt in the first issue to draw in more readers.  I'm not sayingthat would have saved the series from cancellation, but it was have given it more of a head start...    
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By timrothsays

Dude, come on. It's a good story with a great art. Do not like new Beast-look? Kinda refreshing and grotesque. All this series is an outstanding grotesque on Marvel-comics. Gillen like undercover agent creates comic-parody inside the publisher. Love it

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19  Edited By Dr. Detfink

I think this title is getting canceled after issue #5 along with Doctor VooDoo. Not sure if that's good or bad but it goes to show you larger scale events can really hurt fresh titles and concepts.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mbecks14

yeah wtf is wrong with the Beast? he DOES look like the cheetos man

NYCPulpWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NYCPulpWriter

Lord knows i tried to get into this book. I've recently gotten into hard sci-fi (I almost abandoned the notion after watching Avatar) but this isn't gelling with me. What the hell is up with the Beast's look?! God, who ever started his mutation into cat REALLY needs to be punched in the arm hard.

The first 2 issues' art was really good though. Bright colors, clean lines, great detail and seeing Death's Head again was a treat, yes?

I don't know if I'll pick up #3 but if it's being cancelled by #5 I might as see it through the bitter end.

NYCPulpWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NYCPulpWriter
    @Grendel: I agree. I'm getting tired of everything being grim & gritty, dark and gory. I stopped collecting Daredevil and Punisher years ago due to that fact. Enough with the heavy inking I likes me some noir and pulp but that was just over the top. 

But I'm getting sidetracked here... I liked the fact SWORD didn't rely on such things you mentioned. It really pisses me off that Marvel is canceling titles so quickly w/o giving a real chance.
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By drawme

Bwah! Beast looks disgusting.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

Beast looks more like the Blue-Horse-Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.